Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sheboygan Rifle and Pistol Club NRA
Hunted
WI, WY, AL, TN, KY, Namibia (x3)
Good morning Africa Hunting friends! My brother in law and two other friends are leaving on our long awaited trip to Namibia (originally scheduled for April 2020 and cancelled twice since then!) to hunt with Michael and Tienie Duvenhage at Uitspan Hunting in the Kalahari near the Botswana border. We are beyond excited. We will be using the PHs guns to simplify the travel in these unique times.

This brings me to my concern: How does the timing of getting tested for Covid work? For example, we are leaving on Ethiopia Air on August 17 from O Hare Airport in Chicago. When do we get our test? Where do we get our test? I read a report on AH this week where someone messed up on the timing and couldn't get on the flight. How do we report our test. Does anyone care that we may be vaccinated? Does the Vaccine mean we don't have to go through this testing procedure? I am sure these issues are addressed on this sight but the practices on the ground seem to change daily. Please give me a hand. Thanks in advance

Your Friend and Fellow Hunter,

Brian

P.S. I just acquired a Winchester Model 70 in 375 H and H made in 1993 and with the CRF. More trips could be on the way!

Good morning Africa Hunting friends! My brother in law and two other friends are leaving on our long awaited trip to Namibia (originally scheduled for April 2020 and cancelled twice since then!) to hunt with Michael and Tienie Duvenhage at Uitspan Hunting in the Kalahari near the Botswana border. We are beyond excited. We will be using the PHs guns to simplify the travel in these unique times.

This brings me to my concern: How does the timing of getting tested for Covid work? For example, we are leaving on Ethiopia Air on August 17 from O Hare Airport in Chicago. When do we get our test? Where do we get our test? I read a report on AH this week where someone messed up on the timing and couldn't get on the flight. How do we report our test. Does anyone care that we may be vaccinated? Does the Vaccine mean we don't have to go through this testing procedure? I am sure these issues are addressed on this sight but the practices on the ground seem to change daily. Please give me a hand. Thanks in advance

Brian

P.S. I just acquired a Winchester Model 70 in 375 H and H made in 1993 and with the CRF. More trips could be on the way!
Hi gesh. According to the US Embassy in Namibia....."All non-Namibian travelers arriving in Namibia are required to present a negative COVID-19 PCR test result from their country of departure that is not older than 7 days. If the traveler meets this requirement, no quarantine or additional testing is required." See link below. I'd also suggest that you check your airline's requirements. They should be plainly listed on their websites.

Get your PCR test through your local Walgreens 72hrs PRIOR to departure. I got mine done on Thursday evening, and had the results back within 24hrs. PRINT your results sheet off with the date of test and present to the gate attendant at Ethiopian Airlines. Should be ok. If you do it within 48hrs, you should still be fine.
On the way home, same rules apply. I had my PCR test done at Rennies (sp?) in Windhoek the day before my flight. You will need to schedule this. My PH set everything up for me. I had my test at 1PM, and results were emailed to me by 9AM the next day. You will also need to print this out. Had to present it at customs in Windhoek and Addis Ababa. Surprisingly, didn't need to show anything in the US. Getting vaccinated didn't mean a thing. So if you don't have it, you don't need it (Unless something changed in the last 4 weeks).
PRO TIP: Make sure that you have a VERY comfortable mask to wear. Those flight attendants are on you the minute that thing slips below your nose. If you can get something that doesn't go around your ears, you will be comfortable. My ears hurt from the elastic.
Also, contrary to opinion, the masks do nothing to help you from getting sick. Still got a whopping cold from airborne germs. So if you can get on Airborne pills before leaving, do so now. It will save you frustration when you get home!

Brian

Hi Brian. Check the testing timeline requirements for each country you are transiting through. Your travel agent can get the info to you or you can find it on the website for each country. Even if you don’t leave the airport, you will need to follow the guidelines. You will need a PCR test, not a rapid test.

For reference I will be getting my PCR test a day before trip with a guaranteed 6 hour result. A lot of labs available nowadays that provide fast results.

I am leaving for Jberg this Sunday June 27. I went to Methodist Hospital in Houston at 8:30 am this morning and got my NEGATIVE PCR results by 2:30 PM this afternoon. If I can make a suggestion ...Go to a reputable place that takes your Insurance and don't get rip off by some of these places. Generally large local Hospitals can get you the results within 12 hours.
Good Luck

Hi Brian. Check the testing timeline requirements for each country you are transiting through. Your travel agent can get the info to you or you can find it on the website for each country. Even if you don’t leave the airport, you will need to follow the guidelines. You will need a PCR test, not a rapid test.

Just a quick clarification which may be made elsewhere on this thread also.

There are three basic test being administered right now. The RT-PCR(rapid test-PCR), usually available result in 45 min, the PCR test, usually available in 24-72 hours, and the Rapid Test Antigen, which test for antigens in your immune system that show you have had Covid at some point in the past 3 months and still have the virus fighting antigens.

Either the RT-PCR or standard PCR are accepted by airlines and countries, but NOT the Rapid Test Antigen.

The only difference in the two PCR test is cost, with RT about $250, and standard about $100.

Just a quick clarification which may be made elsewhere on this thread also.

There are three basic test being administered right now. The RT-PCR(rapid test-PCR), usually available result in 45 min, the PCR test, usually available in 24-72 hours, and the Rapid Test Antigen, which test for antigens in your immune system that show you have had Covid at some point in the past 3 months and still have the virus fighting antigens.

Either the RT-PCR or standard PCR are accepted by airlines and countries, but NOT the Rapid Test Antigen.

The only difference in the two PCR test is cost, with RT about $250, and standard about $100.
Yes but RT stands for Reverse Transcription, not rapid test. It is a reverse transcription of RNA into DNA and amplification of specific DNA targets. It is a different lab technique than regular PCR tests. The governments are accepting a PCR test or an RT-PCR test. It just so happens that RT-PCR tests can be done faster than a PCR in most cases.

Hi gesh. According to the US Embassy in Namibia....."All non-Namibian travelers arriving in Namibia are required to present a negative COVID-19 PCR test result from their country of departure that is not older than 7 days. If the traveler meets this requirement, no quarantine or additional testing is required." See link below. I'd also suggest that you check your airline's requirements. They should be plainly listed on their websites.

Exactly. Namibia is easy but be ware the country is experiencing a sharp up tick in cases.
having just come back from there I can confirm it’s seven days prior to entry but if traveling through South Africa you must have a test, PCR, done within a 72 hour window prior to departure.

Yes but RT stands for Reverse Transcription, not rapid test. It is a reverse transcription of RNA into DNA and amplification of specific DNA targets. It is a different lab technique than regular PCR tests. The governments are accepting a PCR test or an RT-PCR test. It just so happens that RT-PCR tests can be done faster than a PCR in most cases.

And that is why I appreciate the knowledge base on AH. Thx Scott for the clarification of the clarification.

Brian

They told me within 48 hours of departure. This was with Qatar airways, to get on the plane and I got back last Saturday. I got mine done through ADL health in Texas by mail in

Thank you all for your help. This is a rapidly changing situation with upticks in Covid in southern Africa. I received a statement from the Ethiopian Ministry of Health about the requirement to have an RT PCR test from an approved lab and it must be in a digital format. They further specify that it must be in a Trusted Travel or Global Haven COVID-19 certificate. Is anyone familiar with this? What does it mean? I chatted with Jennifer at Travel Express and she is most helpful. However, as these requirements are brand new information is in short supply. Thanks for any help from members of the forum. Your Friend, Brian

Are you traveling through Ethiopia to Namibia or staying in Ethiopia? It was my understanding you do not need anything if only traveling through Ethiopia.

Thsnks for your response. Traveling through Ethiopia and continuing to Namibia.

I spoke with Ethiopian airlines. They asked my country of origin and final destination (USA to Namibia) and said I needed a PCR test within seven days of departure and printed on paper. I got my test results and printed them yesterday. I leave Tuesday from Dulles so I’ll post what actually happens. I plan to arrive 3 hours early to give me time to fix anything I missed. I tried to book through Travel Express but they were not taking new clients so I did everything in my own. Thanks to everyone who post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.