Courteney boots arrived - gotta love U.S. Customs!

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
So after searching high and low for a 12.5 set of Safaris with a cleated sole I finally ordered a set from Courteney direct and they arrived today and I noticed the customs tape…. No big deal right?
IMG_2400.jpeg

After waiting nearly 3 months for this bundle of joy to arrive from Zimbabwe, my heart skipped a beat and I cursed aloud when I unwrapped the box to find US Customs method for opening the box….. a box cutter!
IMG_2401.jpeg

Luckily the box cutter missed the boots and I’m now the happy owner of a new set of cleated sole Safaris.
IMG_2402.jpeg

I mean seriously CBP…. Really?

Special thanks to Sharron and the people at Courteney Boots for their hard work.

Glad the boots weren’t damaged. At one time I watched a show “To Catch a Smuggler“ and the lack of respect those people showed for packages they would inspect was appalling! Opening with box cutter instead of cutting the tape, throwing the contents back in the boxes and throwing boxes. Makes you wonder how anything comes through customs without some damage.

Here’s my opinion. The box (factory box, not shipping box) doesn’t appear to be sealed or taped shut in any way. Simply lifting the lid is all that was required? If that’s the case, destroying the property was negligent and reckless. (Sure, the boots are what mattered, but that wasn’t the shipping container they opened like that, it was the property you owned and paid for). I would contact their Human Resources or complaint folks and raise a stink. For all you/we know, they have an employee with a rash of complaints for doing crap like this and is one complaint from being fired/reassigned.

Glad the boots weren’t damaged. At one time I watched a show “To Catch a Smuggler“ and the lack of respect those people showed for packages they would inspect was appalling! Opening with box cutter instead of cutting the tape, throwing the contents back in the boxes and throwing boxes. Makes you wonder how anything comes through customs without some damage.

Forget the customs, TSA is worse. My company did the software and control system for baggage handling systems at LAX. As part of regular maintenance, we go to the control room at TSA area. When luggage is scanned, if there are no issues it continues on the conveyor belt to the plane loading area. If the machine flags it, then it gets routed to TSA area where the TSA agent first pulls up the X-ray image associated with the luggage and if the agent can't figure it out then he/she opens the luggage for manual inspection.

I have seen them open the luggages and undo painstakingly put together wrappings to inspect a vase etc. and then haphazardly wrap it back up and force it back into the luggage. Heaven knows if they ever made it to the destination undamaged.

Absolutely uncalled. I can't imagine the nightmare if the boots were cut, and having to sort a claim with them and that hassle.

Forget the customs, TSA is worse.

100% Agree with you and reminds me of another instance of government at work.

Flying back from Costa Rica with Yeti FULL of Mahi Mahi filets & Yellow Fin Tuna steaks and I make it through customs in Houston and answered more questions about the Yeti than the fish I declared.

I personally sealed the liner bag in the yeti, zipped it shut and sealed it with my luggage tag and handed it to from CBP to TSA. I get to the luggage carousel in Austin and my luggage tag seal is ripped off and I don’t think much of it until I get home and open the yeti to find the liner bag I use is COMPLETELY unsealed

Inside I find the “TSA has inspected your bag” paper card, but I did not find a receipt for the 7lbs of Mahi Mahi fillets they stole!

Had the bags numbered and total catch weighed befor putting in yeti- 68lbs of fish on departure in 7 vacuum sealed bags.

Got home with 6 sealed bags totaling 61lbs of fish; but at least they didn’t take any of the yellow fin.

I can only laugh about my fellow Americans asking how I deal with crime and airport security while traveling overseas, to which I can only reply….. you don’t fly or travel much inside the US do you?

I laced them up with a set of merino wool socks and got immediately on the treadmill and walked a mile just to check for hotspots and the verdict is in; they fit just like my Westley Richard’s trackers …. Perfect!

My feet are already blistered from walking 8mi a day prepping for a hunt in September, but honestly these brand new Courteneys feel better than my broken in Keen hiking shoes and I love those.

Special thanks to @Rare Breed for selling me his 12.5UK Westley Richard’s safaris - I had always been curious about the brand but hard to find
and size.

Again a round of applause for the people at Courteney especially Debbie & Sharron.
IMG_2403.jpeg

Left are the new Safaris and right are the trackers I’ve already put many miles on.

FYI- it was NOT cheaper to order them and ship them over, I just did that because ASC didn’t have the size and sole in that I needed in time for an upcoming hunt.

I would highly suggest you stop off at the ASC booth at DSC or other show and try on several pair they are worth the effort.
IMG_2404.jpeg

Those trackers with that tread are certainly modelled on the best.
gettyimages-452924284-612x612.jpg

@BRICKBURN

On an earlier trip, I had a set of sandals made in Costa Rica after experiencing a flip flop blow out and none of the local shops had a U.S. 13EE.

The local cobbler made them with Goodyear tire tread from a taxi tire; and were some of the best footwear I’ve ever owned.

Glad they arrived unmolested by customs. It is always a pleasure to deal with the ladies at Courteney, Gale, Sharron and Debbie

So after searching high and low for a 12.5 set of Safaris with a cleated sole I finally ordered a set from Courteney direct and they arrived today and I noticed the customs tape…. No big deal right?
View attachment 547777

After waiting nearly 3 months for this bundle of joy to arrive from Zimbabwe, my heart skipped a beat and I cursed aloud when I unwrapped the box to find US Customs method for opening the box….. a box cutter!
View attachment 547778

Luckily the box cutter missed the boots and I’m now the happy owner of a new set of cleated sole Safaris.
View attachment 547779

I mean seriously CBP…. Really?

Special thanks to Sharron and the people at Courteney Boots for their hard work.
Nice. One more step in getting ready for the safari.

Amen to that, but I’ve got to make it through Australia first!

I’m leaving Sept 15th for the NT, hopefully water Buffalo will be good practice for the tuskless.
Have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocky12K91

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double