Cost of dip and ship

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by flatwater bill, Sep 17, 2019.

1. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    My four trophy skins and skulls have arrived in the USA. Portland, Oregon. I post this so new hunters, or those returning after a long absence, can better plan costs.
    Namibia: One eland, skull, horns and cape
    South Africa: one Nyala and one impala S, H and C. Plus one zebra flat skin, no head or hooves.
    Costs: Namibia dip and prep $180. Yorck Hufnagel
    Namibia ship of one eland $860.04 Pronto Air
    RSA dip prep of 3 total.....$580 Bullseye Taxidermy, ship of these: African Legacy $785.88
    Customs in Portland, Oregon and ship to my taxidermist in Idaho, $1935.26 Brownstone International

Total: $4321

Service was great by all. No complaints. Just a note that times are a changin. (Happy not to have a 12 animal package!) Comes to $1080 per dipped skin......of course, one point source or economies of scale could help. Just plan accordingly.........................FWB

Trogon, BnC 04 and meigsbucks like this.

2. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    meigsbucks likes this.

3. Nick Ziegler

Nick Ziegler New Member

Wow that's crazy. We have a sable, kudu, red hartebeest and Impala that should be shipping soon from RSA, I'll have to post what the total comes to all the way back to the taxidermist when we get all the bills

4. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    East Cape, South Africa
    I guess I lucked out, as I have a really good taxidermist in RSA.

2017:
    Total costs: $6900.00USD
    7 shoulder mounts, 7 back skins, and 4 sets of feet: $4500.00 USD (?). Add in shipping to Coppersmith my total was $2325.00(?). Plus my cost for pick up at Coppersmith $75.00, snacks, gas, stop overs, etc.

Animals: 1 each: impala, springbuck, red hartebeest, warthog, blesbuck, 2 each kudu.

2018:
    6 shoulder mounts, 6 back skins, 4 pair feet:
    Total costs: $6023.00USD
    6 shoulder mounts, 6 back skins, 3 sets of feet: $3700.00USD.
    Shipping to Coppersmith: $2233.00USD. Plus my expenses for pick up: $90.00 gas, food, snacks, visit friends.

Almost forgot shipping crate fee added to taxidermy (included that in total cost of taxidermy $300.00 USD per crate): 1 crate in 2017 and 1 crate in 2018.

Okay, had I not gone off a relatively straight there (home to Coppersmith to home) and back, I could have saved a few dollars. But hey why rush things, it's always nice to visit friends. Especially when one is able to show them some (mounts) of animals they haven't seen, first hand, (except maybe on TV), share a hunt story or two, and photos/ videos. And generally just catch up.

Now anyone whose has seen my various posts here on AH. I did have a problem with 2017 mounts being damaged. I can say that the problem was resolved satisfactory. Shit happens.

As there were posts by AH members who also received their trophies, or ship and dip damaged.

I'm just adding my 2 cents as to what to expect other costs could be incurred.

NOTE: With my outfitter my hunt was paid for prior to departure to RSA, including international and in country flights. The only extra costs upon arrival- that is after my hunt- extra animals, tips, and taxidermy, and souvenirs.

Taxidermy payment and shipping were paid a year +/- later: Due when taxidermy is ready for shipment.

Rex Shipping, and I coordinated shipping payment through Coppersmith along with Coppersmith's import fees.

flatwater bill likes this.

5. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    This is good thread.

This is what I was looking for as preliminary info and could not find before my first safari. I just had rough idea.

Basically, trophy shipping cost is the biggest uncertainty when planning a budget for safari.

I live in Europe and shipping costs are smaller then those compared to USA from what I can see:

Dip and pack from Namibia:

2017: Kudu cape, black wildebeest cape, oryx cape, warthog scull, red hartebeest scull, red hartebeest full rag - dip and pack total cost was a bit less then 700 eur.

2018: Blue wildebeest cape, warthog cape, zebra full skin, sculls: impala, blesbok, sprinbok - cca 900 eur

Above are all inclusive price dip and ship, plus delivery to my door. When I put it on the scale, it came as average between 30 to 35 Eur / kg.

flatwater bill likes this.

6. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Sounds awfully high.