Converting a P14 enfield

bob, the old 303 guys had very good aperture sights.
you would need a 15x scope to equal them on targets.
they could really read the wind, as can the same guys now shooting 308s.
they can teach fclass shooter a lot to this day, as fclass allows faster shot chasing, particularly now that electronic targets are becoming popular.
shooting in a sling, you cannot reload and shoot again as fast, so have to read the wind.
b.c. is your friend more than speed in the wind.
to boot is the 220 swift with a 50 gn bullet vs a 284 with a 180 gn bullet.
the first is around 4000 fps, and the latter is around 2800.
the latter offers far more forgiveness.
it does not take much wind at 300 yds to deflect a 284 vld more than 2 moa.
2 moa at 1000 yds is 20" which is well off a deers chest.
a 10 mph wind is not that strong and gives much more deflection.
bruce.

I did one of these a few years ago. It makes a nice conversion. The pattern 14 already has the proper bolt face for magnum cartridges. Mine is a .375 H&H. Also, it is a long action so just about any cartridge can be made to fit. The biggest headache is cutting the rear sight ears off and re-contouring the bridge. Most have an oval recess under the sight that should be filled. Remington made actions do not have the recess so are preferable. I re-barreled, put on a new bolt handle, (not necessary), put in a Timney trigger and restocked. I did cut the mag box, but it isn't necessary, just cosmetically better. I used a fiberglass stock and the stock seems to tame some recoil. Of course, it has to be drilled and tapped for scopes and sights. I can send some pictures if it would help.
Will a different follower plate, say one for .303 cartridges, be required?

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen...I am curious, did you leave the original P14 bottom metal on your conversions or replace, and what was your reasoning either way?
@paul seckar
On my P14 25-303 Epps improved I left the bottom metal original for the rimmed cartridge.
On the P14 35 Whelen AI I had the bottom metal straightened to remove the guppy belly. This was purely for aesthetic reasons. Not many people realize that when the P14 was made into the M17 it actually had a magazine that held 6 30-06 rounds. Straightened out it still holds 5 rounds.
It is personal preference on what to do with the bottom metal. I decided to have the whole action lightened as well on the Whelen to make it like the Remington model 30 but left the dog leg bolt as it gives it class in my book and leaves the bolt where it is supposed to be.
Bob

@paul seckar
On my P14 25-303 Epps improved I left the bottom metal original for the rimmed cartridge.
On the P14 35 Whelen AI I had the bottom metal straightened to remove the guppy belly. This was purely for aesthetic reasons. Not many people realize that when the P14 was made into the M17 it actually had a magazine that held 6 30-06 rounds. Straightened out it still holds 5 rounds.
It is personal preference on what to do with the bottom metal. I decided to have the whole action lightened as well on the Whelen to make it like the Remington model 30 but left the dog leg bolt as it gives it class in my book and leaves the bolt where it is supposed to be.
Bob
It looks great to me and screams class all around. Thanks for the insights!

It looks great to me and screams class all around. Thanks for the insights!
@paul seckar
Any questions you have on the P14, M17 or SMLEs just ask and I will do my best to answer.
The old Enfields are massive, strong actions that can be turned into fine rifles. Even H&H used them for bespoke rifles in 375H&H.
Bob

I passed last weekend on a cut down us17 for $250 and I'm regretting it, in my head I said I've got to many unfinished projects and can't take on more. Plus I would of had to barrow some money to get it. Then I got home and thought about it, just the stock was cut everything was on the gun, I know orignal stocks even new are pricy but 17s are bringing very good money. This would have been a shooter to keep tho.

My dad built a lot of p14s and 17s and I've always wanted to build a 375h&h, now actions are hard to find and even cut down guns are worth to much to use for a custom. There used to be a nice gunsmithing book and these wish I remember the name, it has a lot of good info. Dad's last one was a 338-8mm rem mag, then bout a month later the rums came out. The 9.3x62 im working on will do most of what id use the 375 for, just shooting deer and bear anyway.

Is anyone selling straightened bottom metals, or is it usually done to the existing metal? While the leading contender for a replacement stock is a guppy, as you say, it would be nice to not be stuck in a corner for choices. It's also nice to look at the bolt handle and belly and know immediately what the base is, so there's that.

It was posted in another thread, but I have an enfield converted to 300 H&H, which is currently at the shop getting some mill work done for Leupold QD scope bases. If it'll shoot to 1Km, it should shoot to 10m too, so it'll get irons. Really looking forward to having this in the field, and reading about everyone else's projects.

I've grown to like the magnums with the pig belly, there's a million ways to sporter these, wish I could remember that book probably been out of print for years tho.

I used to have a heap of these actions but moved them on as my thoughts changed, all converted by BSA to sporters to various degrees, we have a lot of them here in NZ.
I have some how now got more again & parts like a BSA straighten bottom metal, only picked one up very recently & it has the best 303 barrel I have ever seen on a BSA P14, can't have been shot with any military ammunition, but it is missing the safety & the extractor collar, don't really want to strip the other one to finish the mint barrel one but might need to yet !

I'll take a couple of photos & post them.

Ok I pulled a couple out of the cupboard.

My BSA 303 -.jpg
My BSA 303.jpg

I passed last weekend on a cut down us17 for $250 and I'm regretting it, in my head I said I've got to many unfinished projects and can't take on more.

The last thing I need is another project gun around here.. but at $250, if it was in good shape.. I might not have been able to resist that rifle.. It would have turned into another 300 H&H in my safe pretty quickly... :)

Yes Sir, that's is a BSA factory stock as found on the E Grade Models I believe .

Is anyone selling straightened bottom metals, or is it usually done to the existing metal? While the leading contender for a replacement stock is a guppy, as you say, it would be nice to not be stuck in a corner for choices. It's also nice to look at the bolt handle and belly and know immediately what the base is, so there's that.

It was posted in another thread, but I have an enfield converted to 300 H&H, which is currently at the shop getting some mill work done for Leupold QD scope bases. If it'll shoot to 1Km, it should shoot to 10m too, so it'll get irons. Really looking forward to having this in the field, and reading about everyone else's projects.
@Josh P
In the past smith's used to use 03 Springfield's bottom metal and lengthen the front. My gunsmith just alters the guppy belly metal to straight,he says when you've done a couple it's very easy.
Bob

These actions are cock on closing correct? What are the benefits of converting to cock on opening? Primarily safety?

I guess I’m just asking what the pros and cons are of either converting or keeping it the way it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.