Controlled feed and fixed magazines

Winchester still offers such a rifle in the latest generation Win 70 Safari Express. I had one, nice rifles.

Other than 'safari' focussed arms though, that set up is a bit of a pain to live with, especially if you want a hunting / target shooting cross over rifle as seems to be the fashion right now.
I actually went to Winchester looking for a .30-06 but stumbled over the lightweight model first which kind of put me off being allergic to lightweights in that caliber !
Should have looked further.

A different option is a custom build with a BigHorn CRF Origin action. Nice feature of this action is it can be used with most Remington and its clones aftermarket parts like stocks, bottom metal and triggers..

Must have a look at that.

Detachable magazine, plastic stock, stainless steel, tilted rail, adjustable wtf. Big scope with latest tactical reticle. And cheap. For Europeans add suppressor.
Seems this is what people want...
At this rate, next years models could come with attached hunting seat just like on my golf cart. Can we see a resurgence of more affordable no-frills doubles? I can think of some great calibers !

Is it just my imagination or are controlled feed and fixed magazine rifles going extinct?. I've spent two full days scouring the net looking at the new offerings but the only ones I'm interesting in are old or discontinued. The CZ 550 seems to be the last of the line for these Mauser action rifles. I have no criticism to make of push-feed and removable magazines because I haven't used one. Call me old fashioned possums but I just like the Mauser way.
Thankyou everybody for a lot of useful information, not just for me, but all others interested in this thread. As the song goes "I've been looking in all the wrong places".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.48 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.50 PM.png
    1,011 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.52 PM.png
    968.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.55 PM.png
    953.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.57 PM.png
    986.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.03.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.03.00 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Yep. Their Deviant Hunter model is what I ordered for LH CRF action for my .300 RUM to be built.
Not to hijack the thread but what make barrel did you settle on?

Is it just my imagination or are controlled feed and fixed magazine rifles going extinct?. I've spent two full days scouring the net looking at the new offerings but the only ones I'm interesting in are old or discontinued. The CZ 550 seems to be the last of the line for these Mauser action rifles. I have no criticism to make of push-feed and removable magazines because I haven't used one. Call me old fashioned possums but I just like the Mauser way.
@Cervus elaphas
I agree my son. Simples no magazine to loose and nothing to go wrong.
Sure you may have to cycle the bolt to unload but you will never loose a mag. I have a push feed and CRFs with a fixed blind mag for the same reason.

Not so easy to keep clean in the bush....
A properly made hinged floor plate will never ever give any issues..
@IvW
I've see hinged floor plates fail to close because of grit and dump all the cartridges when a stick got caught in the trigger guard or hit the outside of the bow. Rare yes but can happen. No such problems with a bind mag or fixed bottom metal. Bob.

@Cervus elaphas
I agree my son. Simples no magazine to loose and nothing to go wrong.
Sure you may have to cycle the bolt to unload but you will never loose a mag. I have a push feed and CRFs with a fixed blind mag for the same reason.
Hi Bob, I can't see any problem with a removable mag (and spare loaded in a pouch) for PG deer etc in fact it would be an asset in a culling operation. In a DG situation I would want at least a 6-8 cartridge stack. Buffs can absorb a lot of lead as many will testify. Comes down to personal preference I think, like CF v Push. cheers

@IvW
I've see hinged floor plates fail to close because of grit and dump all the cartridges when a stick got caught in the trigger guard or hit the outside of the bow. Rare yes but can happen. No such problems with a bind mag or fixed bottom metal. Bob.
A hinged bottom plate can be made a fixed one with a little bit of gunsmithing. My old BSA never chucked out any ammo in spite of the years of bush-bashing it got.

Not needed on a Brno ZKK602 action

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.