Cleaning New Reloading Dies?

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
I have never cleaned a new die set before. I am about to reload my .458 WM with RCBS dies, and the instructions say to clean the dies first? One guy on a video cleaned his with carburetor cleaner? I’ve never had any issues before not cleaning them, but I guess I should? Any suggestions on cleaners? Thanks!

I’ve just done a quick flush out with degreasing spray... but, I think it would be prudent to fully disassemble and swan out. A case of do as I say and not as I do.

I’ve just done a quick flush out with degreasing spray... but, I think it would be prudent to fully disassemble and swan out. A case of do as I say and not as I do.
Thank you!

Another question since I just thought about it. For years, I never “tumbled” my once (or more) shot brass cases. I would just wipe them off, lube them and resize them? Again, no issues? They don’t look new, but they work well? How many reloaders reading this do/have done the same? Thanks!

Well if you never read the directions like most of us guys, you wouldn’t know you were supposed to! Lol Now I guess I better start doing it now that I know! I’ve always just sprayed them out with gun scrubber and wiped them out with a paper towel after use.
I have always tumbled my brass but think I might try the stainless pins in the near future

I would just wipe it out using a 12 Ga cleaning patch on a pistol rod and/or a few Q-Tips. A clean and bone-dry sizer die would make me nervous.

FWIW, my last several die sets have been Redding - I just install and use (we don't need no stikin' instructions). :)

I would just wipe it out using a 12 Ga cleaning patch on a pistol rod and/or a few Q-Tips. A clean and bone-dry sizer die would make me nervous.

FWIW, my last several die sets have been Redding - I just install and use (we don't need no stikin' instructions). :)
Yeah, it’s too bad nobody (I think) makes a carbide sizer die in rifle calibers, so no case lubrication would be necessary? But I’m sure there’s some technical reason they don’t/can’t? And I knew I shouldn’t have read the instructions. They just get in the way! Ha! Ha! But I’ve not had to roll crimp a cartridge case before when reloading. I guess with the .458 I’ll have to?

I use RCBS and haven't cleaned any of my dies before use. I figure what little grease, lube, or whatever is in them from the factory will just help with sizing. I do lube my cases before sizing because I have had some stick.

I have never cleaned a new die set before. I am about to reload my .458 WM with RCBS dies, and the instructions say to clean the dies first? One guy on a video cleaned his with carburetor cleaner? I’ve never had any issues before not cleaning them, but I guess I should? Any suggestions on cleaners? Thanks!
I once had a .50-70 sizing die crack when I used it without first cleaning it. Now I wipe then out with a patch and a little solvent on a cleaning rod. An occasional cleaning can prevent a buildup of crud which can scratch the dies. To prevent scratches in the neck portion of the dies I now clean the black residue from case necks with Mother's Metal Polish and a cloth before tumbling. A squirt of metal polish in the tumbling media greatly speeds the cleaning.

Hmm. I still have a can of Brasso but it has ammonia in it. I wonder if that could affect the brass over time.

I clean my dies when I first get them. Generally dies come with a preservative oil or grease on them and I prefer them clean and free of this preservative and any little dust bunnies that may be present. I used to clean my fired brass before sizing but I usually don't do that anymore. I guess it depends on how much crude and carbon you have on your cases.

Now I lightly lube the fired cases with Imperial Sizing Wax, size and deprime and trim to length the cases and then I will clean them in a wet tumbler with stainless steel pins. I clean the brass this way because it cleans both inside, outside & the primer pockets of most if not all of the carbon deposits on the cases. I then rinse and use my compressor to blow dry the clean-wet cases. I clean the dies periodically because of the build up of lubrication and crude.

I use carb cleaner spray or brake clean spray on new dies. I also check to see that the small relief hole in the upper side is not plugged with polishing compound.

I use Hornady One Shot to clean my new dies. I'll also periodically clean them after significant use or after they've sat idle for a while.

Hmm. I still have a can of Brasso but it has ammonia in it. I wonder if that could affect the brass over time.
When I’ve tumbled cases in the past, I have added a cap full of Brasso to the cleaning media. Doesn’t seem to affect the cases over time?

I tumble mine after every use in corn cob grit and brass polish-Berry’s brand I think, made special for that purpose. Agree with the above-dies come with a preservative oil or grease and should be cleaned before use, similar to a new firearm right out of the box-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross