CHOICE in .375 - Guidance please!

Well you are entitled to your own opinion no matter how silly. I have never heard anyone state that a CZ-Brno or Zastava is prone to stretch. I own a Zastava Interarms Whitworth in .375 and been shooting it since 1984 with no issues. Have owned and still own Brno CZ's guns and they are made of the finest steels available and always have been. I still think the notion of stretching is ridiculous. How does one quantify this? Any gun could of course be subject to lug setback if constantly run with overloads, even the revered Model 70.

The only thing I would change is to ditch the Talley mounts and use EAW or Recknagles.

Well you've been shooting with a Zastava since the year I was born. Clearly you have more experience in these matters than me. I have a good 50 years of hunting ahead of me to varify your silly opinion.

Well so how would you VERIFY (with an e), the stretch and rattle etc. you and your gunsmith claim befalls the actions other than M70's. I know you cant because its hot air based on a biased favortism towards the M70.

Like I said, I have 50 hunting years ahead of me to verify (thanks for the spellcheck buddy!) that, and I will do that by taking what you have said in an objective spirit and using it to my advantage in the field, however that comes about. In the mean time I'm not going to take this matter too seriously. Maybe you can give me some pointers on how to disprove my opinions.

Have a great day now.

PS: If there are any more grammatical errors in my comments please do not bother me with that because it's a useless method of swaying the arguement in your favour by directing attention to weak but irrelevant structural mistakes. It's childish and unproductive. I am here for to learn, and not to prove anything.

Point taken, that was snarky of me. My main point though is this; If you dont have proof to back up a statement, dont make it. Just flinging stuff about is sure to start a "conversation".

OK Frano...NOW you really know what to get yourself for our next walk-and-stalk !! Be warned,my mate,I will most definately take the piss if you pitch up with a stretchy thingy...!:D

I have thrown out terminology that I clearly did not fully understand and used it to generalise a potential problem that I saw in certain brands. Went to the gunsmith that diagnosed that problem many years ago, and did he spoke again about stretch, but this time, having been slightly more educated by this forum, I made a point of listening very clearly. He spoke about headspace problems, receiver stretch, lug setback and the like. he also said this is not subject to certain brands but to all brands and also depends on the shooter's handling and other conditions like faulty reloading etc I am not a gunsmith nor an expert reloader. The term I used "stretch", was definitely the wrong definition for what I thought I was talking about. Instead, it implies certain things that are, for the moment, beyond my understanding.

I confess, I love the M70, and used a notion that I did not fully understand to discredit another brand in the same class. I will not throw terms around anymore. I hope people can enlighten me because I am trying to grasp things, but for the life of me, WHERE TO BEGIN!? Perhaps having hunted all my life I picked up my own perceptions of what makes a good rifle, not to say I have'nt had adequete field experience. To me rifles that feel good in my hands, with smoother sounding actions with a solid feel over time are the best. The Cz's, Brno's etc that I used, for me, started to have a loose feeling when working the bolt to rechamber. When I pulled the bolt all the way back, over time the play at the back became very much, too much for me to feel comfortable about not seeking professional guidance. It also started to rattle around when closed, more and more. Once I "over pulled" the bolt for a follow up shot and it got stuck that way, almost as though if I had pulled a bit harder it would come out. When I switched between those and the Win M70 -back then I used a few calibres in pre 64- my perception of that 'play" and "rattle" in comparison to the other rifles that i used which i knew were of the same age and had been used at the same rate, was much less. In fact it seemed that the Win M70 had a more quality feel. There are various reasons for this, one being that I never owned any of the M70's, perhaps I did something wrong when handling the rifles I used. In any case, the stretch thing applies to those who know more about it than me.

I still say go for the M70.

OK Frano...NOW you really know what to get yourself for our next walk-and-stalk !! Be warned,my mate,I will most definately take the piss if you pitch up with a stretchy thingy...!:D

Was wondering when you are going to dive in here.....:devil:
I really do not mind the stretch....as long as it does not have / leave stretchmarks....:wink:

Rohan,
unintentionally you've touched a nerve with this 'stretch-thing' of yours mate. Seasoned hunters and rifle-lovers does not take it very well if you 'hint / insinuate' that there is 'something bad' going on with the metal / mechanics in their favorite thundersticks - especially - as you explain in your last post - the 'enigma' is actually caused by something or a combination thereoff and is very different from actual 'stretching'.

You guys just rubbed each other the wrong way here. Anyway - dont 'stretch' :eyebrow:it any further ok.

Your explanation below in you last post is fair and understandable - i or anyone else could have made the same mistake calling some sort of 'result in/of a certian mechanical-action' something else cause we just don't have the knowledge or correct word to express ourselves.
Like you said - we are all here to learn and share our experiences.
And yes, of the four 375 H/H rifles i have had in my hands and against my shoulder, aimed with and worked the actions with - i am leaning towards the Mod 70 - it just 'feels' better to me and that in itself i cannot explain :think:to anyone.

Thank you all for your contribution to this post - appreciate gents.:thumb:

Thank you fhm. Lesson learned. I will never use the word again!

Keep well, lekker hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois