Chest Holsters

I’m very interested to see your finished product!
 
Has anybody tried these different brands while wearing a backpack with a waist and chest belt? If so, which brand worked well? Thanks!
 
Has anybody tried these different brands while wearing a backpack with a waist and chest belt? If so, which brand worked well? Thanks!
The Diamond D worked well under a pack, and even when carrying a rifle on my shoulder all at the same time. However, my right shoulder did get sore after a few days of hiking/scouting with the combined weight of the pack, rifle, and harness. It wasn't as bad the following year after add in some extra shoulder exercises at the gym before the hunting season.
 
Has anybody tried these different brands while wearing a backpack with a waist and chest belt? If so, which brand worked well? Thanks!

This was the rationale for this first build… make it as low profile and lightweight as possible so that it would be comfortable under a pack…

In theory the webbing and other strap components are smaller and thinner than what you see on most other chest rigs so it should be more comfortable…

But I realized after the build that wider straps might distribute weight better and be more comfortable..

So I plan on trying both out…

This particular build was for a small, lightweight pistol, a Glock 43… for my wife to mostly wear in the deer woods… so honestly comfort isn’t a huge deal… it’s getting worn while sitting in a nice comfy chair, inside a nice comfy blind, with a nice thick comfy coat under it lol..

The better test will be when I build one for my 10mm Glock…

I’m also going to test 1 shoulder strap vs 2… and see where the balance is between comfort, and actual use while wearing, stability while working (chainsaw, hauling heavy stuff in both hands, etc etc)… and see what makes best sense…

Although with this particular design the owner can go either way they please… it will work with a single strap over the shoulder, or 2… if you prefer just one strap it’s as simple as removing the second one…
 
Has anybody tried these different brands while wearing a backpack with a waist and chest belt? If so, which brand worked well? Thanks!
The Kenai from Gunfighter’s Inc works just fine with a pack. There is no interference when wearing mine and my Kuiu pack.
 
I looked at both the Kenai and Double D holsters specifically for my Glock M40 MOS 10mm. I have Trijicon night sights on it and don't want a red dot or flashlight on it. It seems both brands are set up with those holsters for those items. I'll have to call each company and find out if their holsters will work without the add ons.
 
Is that a grip/mag extender (or both) on your 29?
CoElkHunter, it is the Glock 40 standard magazine with a grip extender. It makes it very comfortable like your 40 but with the shorter barrel which makes it much easier to carry. I really like the set up.
 
The prototype chest rig by mdwest shown above in #76 has some features and materials that look very good to me, particularly that the kydex sheath and the straps use minimal material.

My experience with a chest holster for field use was not satisfactory primarily because I found that I did not care for its weight and constriction of my chest area when breathing hard during exertion. I much prefer a belt holster or a traditional shoulder rig in the field and have holsters of those types each of my field guns.

But another useful purpose of a chest rig could be as the basis for a bedside roll-out kit that holds your gear ready for quickly slipping on for defense in camp or at home. For this kind of use I would like to try another chest holster and will be watching this discussion with interest.
 
CoElkHunter, it is the Glock 40 standard magazine with a grip extender. It makes it very comfortable like your 40 but with the shorter barrel which makes it much easier to carry. I really like the set up.
Nice! I have a factory 29 and might have to get one. What brand is the grip extender? Thanks!
 
I built a couple… one is my primary “deer blind” holster now… I’ll get a few pics of it in the morning and post them…

I decided not to start making them as a hobby… there’s actually quite a bit of work that goes into doing one correctly… it took me building a half dozen before I actually got it “right”… and the sewing SUCKS… if I didn’t learn anything else in the process, I learned that I absolutely HATE sewing lol..

What I did find cool/fun is it led me down the path of figuring out a couple of designs for both IWB and OWB holsters that I really like..

I’m now daily carrying a G43 in a holster that I built.. that I like it a lot compared to pretty much everything else I’ve ever used that’s kydex..

I also built a couple of “pack” holsters.. essentially kydex that I can molle mount on the waist belt of my hunting pack that I haven’t had a chance to field test yet… but I think will work really well…
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,364
Members
169,543
Latest member
BarneyBroc
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top