Cast vs jacketed bullets for a Gibbs

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by MRogersII, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MRogersII

MRogersII AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Have recently begun reloading for a 505 Gibbs and was looking for guidance on whether cast bullets are "better" than jacketed? That is, are they more accurate, easier on the barrel, etc? With regards to recreational shooting.
    I'm ok with opinions, of course, but would very much welcome and appreciate experienced feedback.
    Thank you
    Michael

2. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
  3. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I can't help regarding the 505, however I shoot a lot of cast bullets in cartridges up to the 458 Win Mag. If the bullet is cast "hard" but not brittle it can be very effective on game. the limitation is that in general they are limited to about 1800-2000 fps. the lead is softer than gilding metal (copper-zinc-tin) so generated less friction going out of the barrel. So the less pressure, slower velocity, softer bullets result in significantly less wear on the barrel. Within the limits of the bullet, casts can be as accurate as a jacketed bullet- just not as far or as fast. Considering the size of the 505 and that even with jacketed bullets, the velocity wouldn't be much more than a cast load, there is probably very little difference in performance between the two; other than the cast will be considerably cheaper and result in much less wear on the gun- a real option for shooting.