Case Trimming Options

WAB

AH ambassador
Joined
Oct 8, 2015
Messages
10,047
Reaction score
40,688
Location
Alabama
Media
152
Hunting reports
Africa
5
USA/Canada
3
Europe
2
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
So here I sit trying to figure out how to trim cases one handed while I wait for this wrist to heal. It got me thinking, surely there is better gear for case trimming. The below pic is what I use, Lee pilot system w a cordless drill. It is fine but not super accurate and time consuming. What do you guys use?

Image1623697810.843155.jpg
 
I use the same Lee pilot system but mounted on a Lyman Case Prep Express. Lee now makes a cutting head that mounts directly into one of the little stations on the Case Prep Express. Then I use a little handle on the shellholder to make it more comfortable. I also have a couple of the Little Crow Gunworks trimmers that are terrific if you are doing a lot of cases.
Case trimming w Lyman & Lee.jpg
Little Crow Case Trimmer 22-250.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
My reloading stuff isn’t set up right now, but here’s what I use, and I would say it’s a one handed operation. You’ll be slowed down, but can still do it.

Unless I’m missing something, I’d say it would work for you

76E08D6C-AB91-46E9-B0BA-F81EBF5B63FD.png
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.54.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.54.21 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 232
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.54.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.54.22 AM.png
    445.2 KB · Views: 185

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.55.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.55.08 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 188
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.55.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.55.09 AM.png
    709.9 KB · Views: 178
I use WFT. It trims off the shoulder, not the case head. Neck lengths are all the same. If you had a fixed
drill motor, you could trim one handed.


 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.55.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.55.51 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 210
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.55.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.55.53 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 193
For years I used a RCBS Case Trim Pro. Two years ago I bought a Lyman Brass Smith Case Trim Xpress. An awesome product. It is accurate and easy to adjust. The only downside is that it won’t do straight wall rounds or Weatherby rounds.
 
I use a Little Crow for my 223 high volume chucked up in a drill press in the garage. Next to it is a Lyman Brass Smith Case Trimmer. In my reloading room I have Lee Case Gauge Trimmers for every caliber for when I am doing short test runs. I also have an ancient Lyman hand crank Case Trimmer and a Hornady hand crank Case Trimmer. Those are for middle volume duties.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
It's not the cheapest, it is however one of the fastest. You can trim and chamfer inside and out one motion. You can easily do 5 cases in 10 seconds.
 
Inline6, how difficult is it to change cartridges?
 
Inline6, how difficult is it to change cartridges?
Once your case holder is set, you lock the collar and it's done.

The cutting head is on the bottom, a couple spanner wrenches takes it out. The cutters are caliber specific. So let's say you are working on 308 then want to 300wm. You would just change the shell holder. That caliber change is 30 seconds.

Personally the way I change the cutting heads is to buy one for each caliber. You can adjust the actual carbide cutter but that take more time than I'm willing to spend. To replace the cutting head assembly 2-3 minutes taking your time.
 
I'm glad I started this thread, you guys are a wealth of knowledge! I've been busy doing online research with the ideas you've provided. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend what the Giraud costs, but the Frankford Arsenal and Lyman Brass Smith look like good motorized options.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,259
Messages
1,570,891
Members
169,195
Latest member
Lester5301
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top