Carrying a Big Camera while Hunting?

Drillbit

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hi all,

I’ve been to South Africa twice, both times bow hunting from a blind. Im also big into animal photography.
I’m now going to western Tanzania for a Buff/Leopard plus PG hunt (if time).

I don’t know what to expect when walking/hunting game. I have an iPhone (smallest) a Nikon P950 (medium), and a Canon EOS system with 70-200mm + extender (bulkiest).

Will I see a lot of wildlife worth photographing while hunting? Will the PH frown upon any slowdowns? I’m not wanting to stop every 20ft, but if a lion is munching on a kill in distance it would be cool to capture.

What do you recommend? And if so, did you carry a day-pack every where you went?

Thanks

On any of my hunts anymore I'll just take my phone if I am out hiking. The bigger camera gear stays in the vehicle.

Congrats on your forthcoming Tanzania hunt …

It is your hunt & if photography is part of that overall hunt experience then of course but be clear w/ your PH ahead of the hunt.

I see Spot/Stalk as the method of choice for the Buff & opportunities for photography while on stalk until it starts to get real ie close to herd when attention must be applied to Buff & hunt @ hand.

I suspect Leopard will be bait & blind.

Happy Trails

Keep the camera ready in the truck, let your ph know you would like to stop and photograph cool stuff along the way. I would NOT carry it while hunting. Bulky, heavy and you will be holding the camera at the wrong times. You will have plenty of “shooting” for the camera around camp and while driving.
Always been jealous of Brickburns setup, hope he will weigh in with his cumulative experiences

Will I see a lot of wildlife worth photographing while hunting?
Yes.
But during stalking, you focus on stalking. Camera will be clumsy.
But keep camera in back pack, when you are riding in the back of 4wd ask PH to stop the car when there is something to make photo of.

Then, you may hunt from blind over waterhole. You will see a lot of animals. Chance to make quality HD pictures. I suggest for this occasion get yourself a tripod to fix camera on it. Then you can zoom on distant animals. (actually, tripod with quality camera is must)

On the link below, check my photos with Canon G3x. See the details on the photos.

But I repeat, during stalking focus on stalking. Not to camera. But if you have somebody with you, maybe wife, she can do the photography during hunt.

I took a DSLR with a couple of additional lens, a big flash, etc.. on our first safari...

Havent taken it back since..

We got some great pics with it.. but honestly it was too much of an inconvenience IMO... it was just another piece of kit to keep up with, and it was something that generally got left in the truck when out on stalks, etc.. so it had little use for actual "action" shots.. and really got used in camp or after an animal was taken, etc for the most part..

these days, the iPhone does 90% of the work.. it takes more than good enough pics for memory books, etc.. after the hunt.. and with all of the app's you can get these days that further improve pic quality, etc.. its something of a no brainer for me.. I do sometimes carry a little pocket, 36 mp camera as well.. and have been known to take a go-pro also.. but if I am completely honest, they get little to no use anymore.. and Im not sure why I take them..

Took my big camera when we went to SA. Phone was used 50 to 1 over the camera. Personally would not bring it again, just something else to worry about. That said photography is not a passion of mine, if it were I would have no problems taking it. It was not convenient for me, certainly not a hassle.

The big camera is good to have for great pics that come up as opportunity while driving around.
I would not recommend carrying it while stalking or anything like that and probably not a good idea to ask one of the trackers or helpers to carry it.
I’m sure your ph will not mind stopping to capture good photos, you’re the one paying for the hunt, but it may get on his nerves if he is under pressure to find a buff for you on the last afternoon and you want to stop to take pictures of an orchid or a butterfly. :ROFLMAO:
If you have a smaller pocket size camera that you don’t mind carrying in a pocket or on your belt. Go for it. You probably won’t use it as much as you think you will, but no harm will come of carrying it if the extra item/weight doesn’t bother you.

I bought the highest rated pocket DSLR camera for my last hunt. The picture and video quality is 99% of my bulkier Nikon. It’s the size of a pack of playing cards. I didn’t mind carrying it. Other posters are right though, when tracking and stalking we should be about our business. The camera is for trophy photos and after the hunt game photos.

I brought a $30 tactical day pack in which I packed a very small digital movie camera. It shoots stills also. I also packed a small first aid kit and a couple bottles of water. I ask a tracker to carry it. I carried my own rifle. At hunt's end, I gave the day pack to the tracker.

I didn't mess with the camera unless we took a break, or stopped to observe an animal.

I carry a compact in my shooting vest, or belt. A medium sized bridge goes in my bacpack and stays in the bakkie.

One of the reasons I prefer to hunt 2x1 with a good friend sharing a PH. We take turns as photographer / hunter and get more quality time doing both hunting and photography. And it allows one to concentrate on only one activity at a time.

I believe Lowe makes a camera backpack for carrying equipment. I took camera, but as most of the time I was riding in the truck looking for game, it was not a problem. But for serious walking and carrying a gun and camera, I would invest in the backpack.

carry your gun or one camera (determine what's most important to you). ask the gun-bearer to act as cam bearer for the trip! one camera + phone should do it, but the highest quality cam and telephoto lens will certainly yield the best shots (as most animals outside of NPs will not sit there at <50 yd posing.) I've taken many great photos abroad, but never better than the PHs wife and her 1000mm sports lens (the animals won't simply browse within typical photo range.) I can give you their contact info if you'd rather hunt! As my "neighbor" Leonard Lee Rue III knows...the best shots will be taken sitting in a blind all day over water or some other necessary feature-a pinch point, mineral lice, etc. (as a wildlife photographer!) i've wanted to photo bears up close in the backyard, but haven't as of yet made the time to sit in a blind for hours upon hours...i'd rather hunt 'em!

Also, on my upcoming Zimbabwe hunt I will have a videographer, so no need for big cameras. That is one thing you might want to consider for a Tanzania buff hunt as well.

I bought the highest rated pocket DSLR camera for my last hunt. The picture and video quality is 99% of my bulkier Nikon. It’s the size of a pack of playing cards. I didn’t mind carrying it. Other posters are right though, when tracking and stalking we should be about our business. The camera is for trophy photos and after the hunt game photos.
Good add-on suggestion w/ Pocket DSLR … I just added a Panasonic LUMIX digital camera to my pack & field test in September.

I must admit, my iPhone 12 did very well last Sept w/ all the trophy pics & the ability to modify pic effects back @ the Lodge w/ a cocktail in hand is a cool touch. Zoom limitation did not do the scenic shots justice.

Happy Trails

I love photography as well and on both my trips to Africa I have carried a full size Nikon DSLR on my back in the field every day while hunting. I also use the camera in my phone.
Yes the DSLR and lens is heavy, but this is part of what I like to do. So take it and use it on your hunt.
The trick is to use the correct carry case so it does not interfere with the use of your bino's and rifle when hunting.
I use a Lowepro Pro Tactic 75 AW II soft camera bag. It comes with a couple of straps so you can wear the case like a backpack or what I do is just attach the single wide strap and carry it over my shoulder but push it around behind me. If you see something interesting you want to photograph I found that you can slip it around to your front and get your camera out while walking/stalking and take those images.
The 75 AW II series size bag can accommodate my DSLR and up to a 80-400 lens with a hood (the bag extends) and spare batteries/memory card and it has enough padding to protect these cameras in most cases in the field. You may get away with the smaller 70 AW size case for your Canon + 70-200 + teleconverter.
I also use a smaller 17-35 lens for the post shot trophy images. Actually this lens was on the camera the most in Africa. But the second lens I tend to keep back in the bakkie/truck. Carrying a second lenses in the field is a pain in the backside.
My PH did not have a problem with me taking my camera and using it while we were hunting. But when it came to the stalk and getting ready to shoot the camera was on my back and my focus was on making the rifle shot count.

Out of the three the camera on your phone would be sufficient for in the field bush pics of your trophies. If you REALLY feel that you have to take a bigger camera along then the P950 is excellent. Forget the DSLR and large lenses in the truck or in camp.

The P950 has all the zoon and features you're going to need without the bulk and weight of the DSLR and lenses. Added to this, the DSLR and lens changing hate dust and that is always an issue out in the sticks...

I had the P600 a few years ago and it was fantastic. The P950 is just so much more without too much weight. Get a harness/pack that keeps the camera positioned in the small of your back, out the way.

As mentioned, when it's stalking time forget about the camera and focus on the hunt.

As a very avid wildlife/nature photographer and hunter, I have found it very difficult to photograph and hunt at the same time.
On my last trip to Africa, I took my camera gear but it always stayed in the backpack on the Landcruiser during the day. My photography opportunities were as we drove around the concession and around the lodge.
Not sure on my upcoming trip if I will even take my mirrorless system. I may just take my smaller point and shoot that has the ability to shoot in Raw format and call it good just to help eliminate carrying a large photography backpack all the way over there.
One day I will travel to Africa with the sole purpose shooting with just my camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!