Cape Buffalo Questions

james127

Reaction score
Deals & offers
Got a few questions concerning gear for Cape Buffalo. I'm heading over to Africa for the first time this coming June, so you'll have to forgive me for not having a very broad knowledge base.

With archery gear, I've always heard that you need to be able to pull a minimum of 80 lbs, but I had a guy telling me the other day that that is dated and with today's bows, you can do it with 70 lbs. Thoughts? Also, is it possible to take one down with a muzzleloader?

As a side note, we got word from the outfitter that we're going with that he's got a few problematic buffalo that he'd like to see removed from the herd. He's offering a cape buffalo hunt for $5000 as an add-on to a plains game hunt or $7000 as a stand alone. If anyone has ever wanted to take a cape buffalo, this may be a golden opportunity. We'd love to be able to film the hunt as well. Shoot me a message if you're interested.

Well for a $5000 add on, that is quite a deal! I think less than 80 lbs. is crazy. As far as muzzleloader, you can use one but you are going to have QUITE THE LOAD, remember you have to use powder bought from Africa. Make sure you know what you are getting into.

Oh man. Didn't know that about having to get the powder in Africa. What kind of setup would you recommend?

And yes, the $5000 add on is a crazy good deal. Still a few spots available. Since we're going to be filming a bunch of stuff that week, he's keeping the camp limited to just a few hunters.

I really don't want to recommend anything, I'm not familiar with their black powder, I guess you can use smokeless powder...if you have have one of them. But frankly, why not just bring a 375 H&H and save yourself a ton of grief. Really, if want to make it primitive hunt without a scope.

I used the search function on here for bow and arrow: Kinetic Energy 80 ft/lbs., 700 grain arrow weight. There is no minimum muzzle energy but some provinces have .375 caliber as a minimum. Some guys have used equivalent of 250 grains of Triple 777, bullets names, don't remember. That's why I say...it's crazy.

why not just bring a 375 H&H and save yourself a ton of grief. Really, if want to make it primitive hunt without a scope.
ha ha ha ha , nicely said enysee:thumb:

James,

Don't worry, there are other new guys here (like me) and plenty of helpful veterans willing to share info. Good luck! If my outfitter offers me a deal like that, I will be on it! Enysse has a great recommendation. A buffalo hunt with a 375 H&H and irons would be a dream hunt for me. Let us know how it goes for you.

James,

Don't worry, there are other new guys here (like me) and plenty of helpful veterans willing to share info. Good luck! If my outfitter offers me a deal like that, I will be on it! Enysse has a great recommendation. A buffalo hunt with a 375 H&H and irons would be a dream hunt for me. Let us know how it goes for you.

Appreciate that and all the feedback. And by the way, the offer on the cape buffalo wasn't to me exclusively. That's for anyone. Can't wait!

Problematic buffalo???? Sounds odd... Has he explained to you what they did wrong? :) ;) :) :) ;)

I bet it's because they black! ;) :) ;) :) ;)

My best always

Sorry, bluey! If anybody was wondering, I didn't mean to step on bluey's post. I actually would like to go irons on rifle and then get a second with a bow! I think I came off as a smart ass.

James,

I would go for that offer at $5k if it coincided with my current trip. Sounds like you have a great opportunity!

I'll second the comment about problem buffalo being unusual but at that price it's a good deal.

I'll also second the comment about black powder, black powder substitute and detonators being illegal to transport on any commercial aircraft....... I think you'll find other threads about it here with more comprehensive info but FWIW, the act breaches umpteen different laws.

It should also be pointed out that the restrictions are not there to make life awkward for hunters but rather to ensure the safety of passengers & crew on the aircraft & those on the ground that parts of said aircraft might land on top of........... and bearing in mind the mystery of MH370 you can bet your life that these restrictions will be VERY rigidly enforced for the foreseeable future & if it's proved ANY dodgy items were on board that aircraft, I reckon we could well have to kiss even the transport of smokeless ammo goodbye in the nearish future.

Hmmmm.......sounds like I need to just leave the muzzleloader at home :)

Thanks for all the good info. That's very helpful. As far as the question about the problematic buffalo, I sent an e-mail as asked why they'd been given that designation. The reason is that they've had a few that have been overly aggressive bulls that have charged the PHs and a few clients. Here's a trail cam pic of one of the bulls that they've identified as an issue:

Attachments

• Bul 1B.jpg
    Bul 1B.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 189
I looked into brining a 8Bore muzzle loader I built, but all the headaches it wasn't worth it to bring. If you have a year to start all the coordination, to get the safari company to agree to let you hunt with a muzzle loader and then lay out all your requirements. IE them getting black powder or substutitue, then getting the required caps. I would reccommend taking a #11, nipple a musket cap nipple and one of the adapters that will let you use a shotgun 209 (They are a pain to use but if 209's are all that is available) Wouldn't even think of using less than a 12 bore with a hard cast ball, 10 bore would be better, and a 8 or 4 would give you a better warm and fuzzy feeling when you are shooting things that can stoomp on you when they are cranky. When I go for cape next year my 450 NE Double will in hand

Hmmmm.......sounds like I need to just leave the muzzleloader at home :)

Thanks for all the good info. That's very helpful. As far as the question about the problematic buffalo, I sent an e-mail as asked why they'd been given that designation. The reason is that they've had a few that have been overly aggressive bulls that have charged the PHs and a few clients. Here's a trail cam pic of one of the bulls that they've identified as an issue:

I'm busy in June when this hunt takes place, but for a $5000 add on I bet you sell all the open slots available!

I used the search function on here for bow and arrow: Kinetic Energy 80 ft/lbs., 700 grain arrow weight. There is no minimum muzzle energy but some provinces have .375 caliber as a minimum. Some guys have used equivalent of 250 grains of Triple 777, bullets names, don't remember. That's why I say...it's crazy.

As enysse says here you need to get minimum 80 KE from your setup when using a total arrow weight of minimum 700 grain,
That is possible if you have one of the high IBO 70 lbs bow and a decent draw length.
I am using a Destroyer 340 set at 70 lbs and shoot it with a 31" draw length and get well over 80 KE with a 700 grain arrow.

But remember that 80 KE with 700 grain is a minimum.

I know some people hunt with muzzle loaders in SA, but they need to get their powder in SA.
If you can get the powder there that you are used to, then you should be fine, but I would not start to load and hunt Buffalo with a unknown powder.

Wow!!!! That is incredible!!! It must be the "best" ?.? Deal on buff in Africa, if I may ask which outfitter will you be hunting with?

My best always

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.