Canvas rifle slip

Id be interested to know who made those for you. I’m hoping to do something similar when I hopefully get a buffalo next year. That’s part of why I don’t want to spend too much on one now—I hope to have a bit more special version in the future.
Collett’s Wildlife Artistry, Pretoria. They are lined with a soft cloth not unlike the boyt cases. Eland is particularly good for this as it is tough and very soft.
 
Not exactly what you asked for but it actually fits what you described. Plus you can wear it like a backpack which I think is really useful. I haven’t bought one yet but I will soon.


American made by a small business. I have bought other things from here and it’s all top notch quality.
 
Not exactly what you asked for but it actually fits what you described. Plus you can wear it like a backpack which I think is really useful. I haven’t bought one yet but I will soon.


American made by a small business. I have bought other things from here and it’s all top notch quality.
I think the OP is looking for something that rolls up tight for travel and is useful for protecting the rifle in the bakkie rack.
 
I think the OP is looking for something that rolls up tight for travel and is useful for protecting the rifle in the bakkie rack.
Yea, I haven’t got my hands on it yet so not sure how tight this can be packed or rolled. My understanding was he designed it to be packable which is why it’s only 1/4” padding.
 
Yea, I haven’t got my hands on it yet so not sure how tight this can be packed or rolled. My understanding was he designed it to be packable which is why it’s only 1/4” padding.
Thanks. It looks a bit thicker than I’m looking for. The canvas one I have for my shotguns is maybe 1/8” it’s literally a single sheet of medium weight canvas.

That’s does look useful though.
 
That’s exactly the kind of thing I want. I think I paid $50 for the ones I have for my shotguns. Over $300 seems a high price for a pretty simple item.
I am certain that you won’t get anything UK made for less than the Croots slip.

Perhaps a saddler could make you something?
 
I use Boyt gun cases and find them to be an excellent solution. Tough canvas exterior, a pocket on the side or odds & ends and some padding to protect the rifle. It goes on the truck with rifle inside every day.
 
In the past I had a number of “Uncle Mikes” which at the time folded enough that I took two on my trips. Worked well and I gave them to the PH .Have not bought one in a long time but you can check .
 
Murray makes a really nice foldable soft leather scoped rifle case for international travelers. The S-14 is lined with fleece that offers some padded protection. Unfortunately it is a bit pricey. Check out Murraycustomleather.com. I use their A-1 slings for my rifles which I’ve always felt are the best.
Ditto this suggestion. I had Dick Murray make me one for my double out of my rhino skin. He can make anything for you from your leather or his. Heck if you don't have enough game skins just ask AH. Many of us have extra sitting around!
 
Ditto this suggestion. I had Dick Murray make me one for my double out of my rhino skin. He can make anything for you from your leather or his. Heck if you don't have enough game skins just ask AH. Many of us have extra sitting around!
Not to change the subject but I’ve never had a skin tanned into workable leather. Just had hair on rugs made. What’s the process for having that done?
 
The most packable rifle slip that I have is a synthetic one with a durable coarse-weave but smooth exterior, a fleece-like interior & a velcro closure:

ah_ophelia-jpg.642903


I've found it useful for hauling guns to the rifle range and I mostly use it to lean an extra rifle in the front of my safe to protect it from scrapes with other racked firearms. I acquired it when a used rifle was sent to me so unfortunately I can't link you to a place of purchase. I was just sharing it with you as a possible option if you can find one.
 
The most packable rifle slip that I have is a synthetic one with a durable coarse-weave but smooth exterior, a fleece-like interior & a velcro closure:

ah_ophelia-jpg.642903


I've found it useful for hauling guns to the rifle range and I mostly use it to lean an extra rifle in the front of my safe to protect it from scrapes with other racked firearms. I acquired it when a used rifle was sent to me so unfortunately I can't link you to a place of purchase. I was just sharing it with you as a possible option if you can find one.
Exactly what we have used. Does a good job of padding the rifle in the bakkie and keeping the dust off it. Packs small and easily washed when we got home.
 
Not to change the subject but I’ve never had a skin tanned into workable leather. Just had hair on rugs made. What’s the process for having that done?
It is easily done in Africa but can be done here as well. They are tanned and finished with the color you choose. He best I've had came from Zimbabwe. Rhino, hippo, & buffalo.
 
It is easily done in Africa but can be done here as well. They are tanned and finished with the color you choose. He best I've had came from Zimbabwe. Rhino, hippo, & buffalo.
The best I have had done were by Collett’s in Bulawayo and Pretoria. They also do exceptional leather work. They made a clutch out of warthog for my wife that is absolutely stunning.
 
OK, so this may or may not be what you are looking for, and this is a German (Bavarian) company. They will ship to the US, but you would need to contact via email. I have successfully ordered through them when buying raw Loden to make curtains for my house, and I ordered a cape from them when I was living and hunting in Germany.

This slip is Loden, and is normally used to protect the rifle when moving from your vehicle to a hunting area. Its greatest advantage is the "sling" on the slip is actually your rifle sling. I was planning on purchasing one, but because I have a great deal of Loden left over from my curtain project, I may just fire up the sewing machine instead:


1748617128950.png
1748617128950.png
 
I’m not finding that on their site maybe I is discontinued.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
It doesn't show on their site but they still make them. I found that out when I bought my second one.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,188
Members
169,505
Latest member
CharliL771
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top