Can't Be Good.... for Texas or anyone!

G Skinner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fearing-feral-hog-apocalypse-texas-announces-drastic-measures/
Poisoning hogs .....this can not be good ? At one time we (MAN) thought DDT a good solution . People are hungry ! HMM ! Bacon !
Glen

Fearing "feral hog apocalypse," Texas approves drastic measures

NORTH TEXAS --
Announcing the “feral hog apocalypse” is within reach, Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller has approved of the first pesticide targeting wild pigs, CBS Dallas reports.

The estimated 2.5 million feral hogs in Texas cost an estimated $50 million a year in damage to Texas agriculture, according to the Austin American-Statesman. In addition to the damage to crops and livestock tanks, hogs cost untold damage to suburban yards.

Miller said they will use the pesticide, Kaput Feral Hog Lure, as bait food laced with warfarin which is the same drug used to kill rats. It can also be prescribed by doctors, in smaller doses, to prevent blood clots

But the move has upset hunters, who’ve gathered more than 1,200 signatures in opposition within two days.

“We don’t think poison is the way to go,” said Eydin Hansen, Vice President of the Texas Hog Hunters Association.

He prefers hunting and trapping methods to control the invasive species.

Hansen has been hunting hogs since he was 16.

“It’s a way to feed your family,” he said.

He worries soon he won’t want to take that risk.

“If this hog is poisoned, do I want to feed it to my family? I can tell you, I don’t.”

Hunters and conservationists are afraid other animals may be exposed to toxin.

“If a hog dies, what eats it? Coyotes, buzzards…” said Hansen. “We’re gonna affect possibly the whole ecosystem.”

The Kaput product website claims its low toxicity decreases that risk.

The company has also created a bait station to disseminate it that limits access to other wildlife.

Hansen remains skeptical.

“I personally don’t think it’s going to work,” he said.

Miller told the state, in light of the product’s approval, his department would no longer need $900,000 earmarked for feral hog control research.

As a state senator, Miller authored legislation that allowed for the shooting of wild hogs from helicopters. Now, more than 27,000 wild pigs are killed that way, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is "be careful what you ask for; you just might get it".........:(

Someone once said "Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it"........kinda see the same thing going on here. There was a poison (1080; sodium fluroacetate?) that was used here to poison coyotes in the States........hunting and trapping weren't deemed effective, so ranchers/farmers were allowed to poison the vermin. Then the "unintended consequences" reared it's ugly head....started poisoning nonintended critters, ended up in the stock water, drinking water, etc. Hey, that stuff has to go somewhere, right?

I guess this is one area where I kind of agree with animal rights people.....they are so hyped up on banning lead ammunition to present "accidental poisoning", then they REALLY ought to be concerned if some rare California condor drops down to feed on a carcass that died from intentional pest control poisoning.

Bottom line? Poison kills indiscriminately.....

Best way to deal with the problem? Make the resource "valuable". How to do that? I don't know......maybe turn wild pigs into dog/cat food, or make it "fashionable" to have shoes made out of suede pigskin; after all, look at what the fashion industry did to the raccoon (raccoon coats in the 1920's), egret (white feathers for ladies fashion), American alligator (gator shoes), .....the list goes on. Maybe that might be the answer for all those exotics that have been dumped in Florida......python skin belts or water monitor/tagu handbags, ladies?o_O

...and while I'm sure that the wild hog population is out of control in Tx, I can't help but wonder how much of this is political/money driven; my home state of MI has an issue with bovine TB and now CWD in the wild deer herd. Of course, people look for a scapegoat (instead of the real cause of the problem), and the hunting preserves were blamed: escaped animals, etc. A few pigs escaped from some preserves, and now (supposedly), MI has "a wild hog problem". Really? if you look at the hunting sights, people who are outdoors... A LOT...NEVER see a feral hog, even despite actually searching for them! Yet the DNR states that it is a problem of "monumental proportions" and has shut down all the hunting preserves, as well as small hog farms, claiming that the farms are harboring "potentially feral hogs" if they get out! They (DNR) actually went in a killed livestock on farms in the name of "protecting the enviroment". I'm sure the huge "agribusiness" industry, which to this day remains untouched, is smiling every time they put some small farmer out of business.:mad:

Anyway, those are my thoughts, FWIW............that, and $1.50 will get you a can of soda out of a vending machine.

Being a natural born Texan and avid hunter I can say that I absolutely hate this idea. Our very own hay meadows and cattle pastures are victims of feral hogs. That being said I believe it to be irresponsible and wasteful to do such a thing as poison wildlife.

I am here in North Texas..... and an avid hunter. Before I can condemn the idea, they say that the warfarin is not "harmful" to other animals, in the amounts it would be ingested. Time will tell..... in the mean time they are causing a major problem, and they proliferate/procreate/multiply in outrageous numbers. Something has to be done. Hunting & trapping ain't doing it. Back to y'all against "poison", well that is how we treat fire ants, rats, etc. It happens, it's out there.... I don't have the answers, lets just hope the scientist do. Another idea that Texas A&M has been studying, is how to sterilize them with a type of feed, without harming other animals.... (i.e. deer). Time will tell.

With the way the price of has tanked. I might as well let the pigs have it

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fearing-feral-hog-apocalypse-texas-announces-drastic-measures/
Poisoning hogs .....this can not be good ? At one time we (MAN) thought DDT a good solution . People are hungry ! HMM ! Bacon !
Glen

Fearing "feral hog apocalypse," Texas approves drastic measures

NORTH TEXAS --
Announcing the “feral hog apocalypse” is within reach, Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller has approved of the first pesticide targeting wild pigs, CBS Dallas reports.

The estimated 2.5 million feral hogs in Texas cost an estimated $50 million a year in damage to Texas agriculture, according to the Austin American-Statesman. In addition to the damage to crops and livestock tanks, hogs cost untold damage to suburban yards.

Miller said they will use the pesticide, Kaput Feral Hog Lure, as bait food laced with warfarin which is the same drug used to kill rats. It can also be prescribed by doctors, in smaller doses, to prevent blood clots

But the move has upset hunters, who’ve gathered more than 1,200 signatures in opposition within two days.

“We don’t think poison is the way to go,” said Eydin Hansen, Vice President of the Texas Hog Hunters Association.

He prefers hunting and trapping methods to control the invasive species.

Hansen has been hunting hogs since he was 16.

“It’s a way to feed your family,” he said.

He worries soon he won’t want to take that risk.

“If this hog is poisoned, do I want to feed it to my family? I can tell you, I don’t.”

Hunters and conservationists are afraid other animals may be exposed to toxin.

“If a hog dies, what eats it? Coyotes, buzzards…” said Hansen. “We’re gonna affect possibly the whole ecosystem.”

The Kaput product website claims its low toxicity decreases that risk.

The company has also created a bait station to disseminate it that limits access to other wildlife.

Hansen remains skeptical.

“I personally don’t think it’s going to work,” he said.

Miller told the state, in light of the product’s approval, his department would no longer need $900,000 earmarked for feral hog control research.

As a state senator, Miller authored legislation that allowed for the shooting of wild hogs from helicopters. Now, more than 27,000 wild pigs are killed that way, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

Hansen is a communist. I am a landowner who suffers from feral hog damage. They can not be controlled by any currently legal means. They are diseased and you won't find me eating one of them! Hunting them is THE least effective means of controlling them. On MY PRIVATE PROPERTY I should be able to legally poison these wild livestock (they are not wildlife guys!). If Hansen thinks he has a say over my property he is mistaken!
Folks waferin is what we poison rats with and can not affect buzzards or scavengers eating a dead pig so all that alarmist talk is foolishness.
I wonder after this guys comments how many landowners will let him hunt their property in he future?
Regards,
Philip

Reactions: BWH
Being a natural born Texan and avid hunter I can say that I absolutely hate this idea. Our very own hay meadows and cattle pastures are victims of feral hogs. That being said I believe it to be irresponsible and wasteful to do such a thing as poison wildlife.
Not wildlife my friend! Sorry but that is incorrect.
Regards,
Philip

All I can say is "be careful what you ask for; you just might get it".........:(

Someone once said "Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it"........kinda see the same thing going on here. There was a poison (1080; sodium fluroacetate?) that was used here to poison coyotes in the States........hunting and trapping weren't deemed effective, so ranchers/farmers were allowed to poison the vermin. Then the "unintended consequences" reared it's ugly head....started poisoning nonintended critters, ended up in the stock water, drinking water, etc. Hey, that stuff has to go somewhere, right?

I guess this is one area where I kind of agree with animal rights people.....they are so hyped up on banning lead ammunition to present "accidental poisoning", then they REALLY ought to be concerned if some rare California condor drops down to feed on a carcass that died from intentional pest control poisoning.

Bottom line? Poison kills indiscriminately.....

Best way to deal with the problem? Make the resource "valuable". How to do that? I don't know......maybe turn wild pigs into dog/cat food, or make it "fashionable" to have shoes made out of suede pigskin; after all, look at what the fashion industry did to the raccoon (raccoon coats in the 1920's), egret (white feathers for ladies fashion), American alligator (gator shoes), .....the list goes on. Maybe that might be the answer for all those exotics that have been dumped in Florida......python skin belts or water monitor/tagu handbags, ladies?o_O

...and while I'm sure that the wild hog population is out of control in Tx, I can't help but wonder how much of this is political/money driven; my home state of MI has an issue with bovine TB and now CWD in the wild deer herd. Of course, people look for a scapegoat (instead of the real cause of the problem), and the hunting preserves were blamed: escaped animals, etc. A few pigs escaped from some preserves, and now (supposedly), MI has "a wild hog problem". Really? if you look at the hunting sights, people who are outdoors... A LOT...NEVER see a feral hog, even despite actually searching for them! Yet the DNR states that it is a problem of "monumental proportions" and has shut down all the hunting preserves, as well as small hog farms, claiming that the farms are harboring "potentially feral hogs" if they get out! They (DNR) actually went in a killed livestock on farms in the name of "protecting the enviroment". I'm sure the huge "agribusiness" industry, which to this day remains untouched, is smiling every time they put some small farmer out of business.:mad:

Anyway, those are my thoughts, FWIW............that, and $1.50 will get you a can of soda out of a vending machine.
1080 is manufactured in the US but not legal to use but we sell it to Australia and then buy their cheap lamb below our cost of production. It does not kill a second animal like a scavenger. What you are eluding to was the strictnyne poison used many years ago that was a bad thing.
Y'all must understand feral hogs are a monogastric and super easy to poison without hurting anything else. This is not the place to get into all the details but suffice it to say from someone who know a whole lot about this subject this waferin is not something for anyone to worry about.
Philip

I agree with @Philip Glass ..... In Texas, if there is a chance something will negatively affect it's deer or cattle (football, oil, church & Alamo), then you can bet it won't happen.

s
Hansen is a communist. I am a landowner who suffers from feral hog damage. They can not be controlled by any currently legal means. They are diseased and you won't find me eating one of them! Hunting them is THE least effective means of controlling them. On MY PRIVATE PROPERTY I should be able to legally poison these wild livestock (they are not wildlife guys!). If Hansen thinks he has a say over my property he is mistaken!
Folks waferin is what we poison rats with and can not affect buzzards or scavengers eating a dead pig so all that alarmist talk is foolishness.
I wonder after this guys comments how many landowners will let him hunt their property in he future?
Regards,
Philip

They vermin, no doubt about that. But quite frankly, what the Ag Commissioner is putting out and what the manufacture says is two different things. Ag Comm, it's just low dose Warfin, won't hurt anything else. Mfg, must use gloves, hogs must be buried to a minimum depth of 18 inches, area must be inspected every two days for dead hogs, no cattle in that pasture for 90 days after use, must be feed from special feeder, that the hogs must be trained to open. I hate them, but this product is just not for me. I cannot monitor every two days and I certainly not going to built a special pasture just for hogs to be killed.

That said, the damn thing are now invading the neighborhood that I live in. TPWD is trying to figure something out. Its not like I can stick a gun out my door and shoot the things.

Last edited:
Are they expected to die, right where they eat it? Nevertheless, I would find those protocols hard to manage & by who.... Personally, I think Tannerite is very effective. However, it has to be right place, right time.... and you can take out 20+. The popular chopper pig hunts take out like 200+ in a couple of hours..... still not effective in controlling population. Who knows.....

LOL.... yeah good luck with that. NOBODY is going to do that.

Trap the Hogs like this guy does. Butcher them, and feed needy families.

Yeah.... I'm familiar.... that's about a $10k set up.... mfg in Denton, TX. Trap the hogs after you paid to feed them, put them on a cattle trailer, haul them to market, ask them to butcher hogs for free or at trappers expense, then disperse them directly to needy families. I like idea, but nope.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse here, because it's obvious that some people are going to believe whatever they want with re: to secondary poisoning, but there are several (i.e. TONS) of scholarly papers out there (I won't waste time posting them here; you can google them yourselves if you wish), particularly with re: to Warfin. Those of you who believe this have apparently been fed a line of BS and chose to swallow it hook, line and sinker because it fits their needs. As far as doing things on MY private property: do what you wish, but when your poisoned hog flesh walks over to MY private property and drops dead, are you going to be a responsible party and come and get it? I highly doubt it........
While I can empathize with your problem, poisoning is an irresponsible, short term "solution" that comes with it's own problems and unintended consequences.......

@Mr. 16 gauge that's my point.... once the feed/poison is out, the landowners don't care, and why would they. I like the idea of hunting, trapping, etc.... don't like poison. However, hunting & trapping is not doing anything.... at all. So, next step in my opinion would be to offer bounties, and I mean big bounties.... that's when people will come out & do it for pay, non stop.

I can sympathize with Texas ranchers on this. Absolutely something needs to be done. Obviously hunting them is just not enough. Who in there right mind is going to take the time and effort to look for dead pigs and bury them? Maybe the state should reimburse ranchers for this? I'm just a city boy, all we have here in New York are a bunch of ass hole liberal democrats I'd like to bury!

Wafarin is a blood thinner and is used in human to treat blood clots. I had to take it a few years ago when I got DVT, deep vein thrombosis.

In much higher doses and slightly different chemistry, it is rat poison. It acts by causing the animal to hemorrhage, causing it to seek water to drink and thus leave dwellings to die outdoors.

As far as poison in our food chain, ever read a label on just about anything you buy in a grocery store these days?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-Hydroxycoumarins

I'm with you!!!! How about the Roundup that goes on yard for family & pets to play on & pesticides on our foods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg