Can an American get a European Firearms Pass?

Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Does anyone know if an American can get a EFP? It was a topic that I was curious about.

No.
European firearm pass is for citizen of EU member states.
When UK went to brexit, they revoked theirs.

Well, I'm an AMCIT, and I have mine... but:

I'm in Germany, covered under some very specific treaty agreements. I have a WBK, and I need the WBK to get the EFP. When I leave here, I have to turn in both, although I can take my Jagdschein home. Taking it home will make it easier to renew if I come back.

I fully admit I am in a special case. Contact me off line, and I can better explain.

Keep in mind: All the EFP really does is explain (in the appropriate language) to other member countries that your firearms are appropriately registered in a member country. Yes, when Brexit happened, the UK was no longer a member country, so you couldn't say your firearms, although they were listed in a national registry, were listed in a member registry.

My American firearms are listed in no national registry... and those handguns they made me register in California? It was tragic. Slipped right out of my hands in that boating incident off Avalon.

But, as above, the short answer is No.

Last edited:
European firearm pass is for citizen of EU member states.

Not 100% correct, the fire arms passport is connected to the Schengen-agreement, and not all parties to this agreement has adopted the firearms rules.

Well, my country is not Schengen and I have euro firearm pass.
The european firearm directive indeed, is very differently applied to each country fire arm laws.
It only gives minimum requirements.
But in any case a non EU member citizen cannot get fire arm eu pass.

Another thing:
Holder of EU firearm pass, must ensure that his fire arm is within regulations of country he visits.
EU fire arm pass does not guarantee free transit for every legal fire arm listed on pass, just anywhere.

For example, in Italy, caliber 9x19 is considered as military caliber, not allowed for civilians and holder of EU fire arm pass cannot enter Italy with pistol in such caliber, regardless of reason (for example sport competition). So, he will need to have some another pistol for this sporting event.

And my country is not an EU-member but a party to the Schengen agreement and have it fully integrated in national law and hence- I have a EU firearms passport. But I can not use it to take my gun to Sweden, an EU country that har basically open border to everyone and thing, except legal firearms.

One does not need to be an EU citizen to get EFP. EFP is issued by the authorities to confirm the registration and the legality of possession of the firearm(s). In Poland, for instance, a non-citizen residing permanently in the country can obtain a firearms licence and therefore EFP, which is issued automatically at the licence holder's request. So, one does not need to be a citizen. However, one does need to have the firearms registered in the country's registry which, for most firearms, means a local licence is required.

EU firerms directive as it looks like is applicable to Euroepan Economic Area countries.

(35)With regard to Iceland and Norway, this Directive and Directive 91/477 / EEC represent a development of provisions of the Schengen acquis within the meaning of the Agreement between the Council of the European Union and the Republic of Iceland and the Kingdom of Norway concerning the association of these countries the implementation, application and development of the Schengen acquis ( 12 ) , which belong to the areas referred to in Article 1 of Council Decision 1999/437 / EC ( 13 ) .
(36)With regard to Switzerland, this Directive and Directive 91/477 / EEC represent a development of provisions of the Schengen acquis within the meaning of the Agreement between the European Union, the European Community and the Swiss Confederation on the association of the Swiss Confederation implementation, application and development of the Schengen acquis ( 14 ) , belonging to the areas of Article 1 of Decision 1999/437 / EC in conjunction with Article 3 of Council Decision 2008/146 / EC ( 15 ) .
(37)As regards Liechtenstein, this Directive and Directive 91/477 / EEC constitute a development of the provisions of the Schengen acquis within the meaning of the Protocol between the European Union, the European Community, the Swiss Confederation and the Principality of Liechtenstein on the accession of the Principality of Liechtenstein to the Confederation of the implementation, application and development of the Schengen acquis ( 16 ) , belonging to the areas referred to in Article 1 of Decision 1999/437 / EC in conjunction with Article 3 of Council Decision 2011/350 / EU ( 17 ) ,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.