CAMEROON: Bongo Hunt In Cameroon

So exciting! Best of luck!!

Second Update:
I traveled to camp and found that it had not rained for 8 days! Tough to track animals when you can’t tell what’s fresh. The local trackers do a raindance song and later that afternoon the heavens opened up and it dumped the rest of that day.
The next morning while stalking into salt licks we came upon a pair of Peter’s Duikers feeding. Peter Wood (my PH) told me the male had big bases and to take him. Up come the shooting sticks as I ease into shooting position. A gentle squeeze of the trigger and viola!
46949728_Unknown.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Second Update:
I traveled to camp and found that it had not rained for 8 days! Tough to track animals when you can’t tell what’s fresh. The local trackers do a raindance song and later that afternoon the heavens opened up and it dumped the rest of that day.
The next morning while stalking into salt licks we came upon a pair of Peter’s Duikers feeding. Peter Wood (my PH) told me the male had big bases and to take him. Up come the shooting sticks as I ease into shooting position. A gentle squeeze of the trigger and viola!
View attachment 405610
Tres Beau!!
Are you using dogs or just trying to track buff and bongo?

I hope they are using dogs. My first trip to the forest I stayed 31 days and I had a period of about 10 days when it did not rain, it was amazing how dry things got quickly. Without the rain it seemed every animal just sat still and did not move. During the dry spell we saw very few animals cross the roads.

Third Update:
46950384_Unknown.JPG

We start the day off early and immediately cross a fresh Bongo mature bull track. The trackers follow it with dogs coming to and fro, after 2 hours and less I forget to mention that everything I'm wearing is soaked through with sweat, the bull joins up with a herd and the stalk is over. It seems that the dogs almost always bay a female when after a group.

Slightly dejected but ready to prove my grit we continue down the road. After a couple of hours we find another big bull track and dump off after it. It’s amazing to me that while in the truck looking for tracks I’m fine but 2 minutes through the jungle and it looks like I just went swimming! After 90 minutes this bull also joined a large group of Bongo. The stalk is over and we head back to the truck. I have now consumed a small lake of water to this point.

Casually reclining in the truck (This is code for dehydrated and exhausted) I inform my PH that my best work is ahead of me and to press on! A little later...I’m taking my PH’s word as I lost consciousness...my Sadistic PH informs me that he wants to check another salt lick. We head that way (stumbling) and we come upon a nice Blue Diker. Not one to miss an opportunity, my PH raises the sticks and I take a nice Blue Diker.

What a exciting hunt for US lol

Thank you for posting, good luck & stay safe !

Congrats on the duikers!!

Fourth Update:

We head out after a nice rainstorm the night before and within an hour cut a big fresh Bongo track. We proceed to follow said track and for those of you whom have never witnessed this I will try to describe it to you.

First, you will be able to see about 1 out of 10 of the Bongo tracks the trackers spot.
Second, at least every 2 minutes you are thinking to yourself “why would a giant Bongo go through such a small opening?”
Third, these trackers must be lost and I’m just here for the exercise.
Fourth, stop writing these reports after 4 whiskeys as I have pointed out on no less than 8 private messages that Duiker is not spelled Diker...

After a 2 1/2 hours stalk one of the dogs whom are working all around us explodes in a bark fest and the Bongo fight/chase begins. The Bongo proceeds to run towards the river and eventually is bayed up against it by the dogs. Upon getting a solid view of this beautiful and ancient Dugga boy of a Bongo I decide to take him. No time or need for sticks as we are about 30 feet away. I bring the rifle up and center on his shoulder and squeeze the trigger. The Bongo bucks hard from the impact and jumps into the river with the dogs in tow. As the Bongo is expiring we notice how swift the river is moving!

I’m watching as my Bongo begins to go under as the trackers proceed to jump in the water followed by Peter my PH to go after this quickly sinking and drifting away trophy.

Fourth Update:

We head out after a nice rainstorm the night before and within an hour cut a big fresh Bongo track. We proceed to follow said track and for those of you whom have never witnessed this I will try to describe it to you.

First, you will be able to see about 1 out of 10 of the Bongo tracks the trackers spot.
Second, at least every 2 minutes you are thinking to yourself “why would a giant Bongo go through such a small opening?”
Third, these trackers must be lost and I’m just here for the exercise.
Fourth, stop writing these reports after 4 whiskeys as I have pointed out on no less than 8 private messages that Duiker is not spelled Diker...

After a 2 1/2 hours stalk one of the dogs whom are working all around us explodes in a bark fest and the Bongo fight/chase begins. The Bongo proceeds to run towards the river and eventually is bayed up against it by the dogs. Upon getting a solid view of this beautiful and ancient Dugga boy of a Bongo I decide to take him. No time or need for sticks as we are about 30 feet away. I bring the rifle up and center on his shoulder and squeeze the trigger. The Bongo bucks hard from the impact and jumps into the river with the dogs in tow. As the Bongo is expiring we notice how swift the river is moving!

I’m watching as my Bongo begins to go under as the trackers proceed to jump in the water followed by Peter my PH to go after this quickly sinking and drifting away trophy.
What a horror!! I couldn't imagine what it was like to see it drifting away!

Damn......
Utter elation and then that sinking feeling..

I'm not sure if my dehydrated mind would have worked fast enough to assist also
I'm not sure if I would not have been smart enough to be in there with them.

Last edited:
I hope they are using dogs. My first trip to the forest I stayed 31 days and I had a period of about 10 days when it did not rain, it was amazing how dry things got quickly. Without the rain it seemed every animal just sat still and did not move. During the dry spell we saw very few animals cross the roads.
Very nice! Congratulations and good luck getting your Bongo!
Damn......
Utter elation and then that sinking feeling..

I'm not sure if my dehydrated mind would have worked fast enough to assist.
I'm not sure if I would not have been smart enough to be in there with them.
:giggle: “and then that sinking feeling”. I see what you did there. Clever! :giggle:

Duiker, Diker, but maybe not Dicker..

Best of luck on the Bongo.

Waiting to hear the details!

@Hunting Hitman great story so far and you have us all spell bound (sort of like "Who shot JR?")

BTW, from your two photos with duikers, I noticed you haven't hardly broken a sweat yet. Maybe this bongo will require more effort. We expect to see that upcoming sweat soaked shirt scene in the rain forest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois