Calibers that make your Professional Hunter shudder

I bought a 460 Weatherby recently. After reading threads here I took the brake off forever.

I'd leave it on but as I mentioned be considerate of other around you even at a shooting range. Using the brake on the rifle is a good way to get to know your rifle and get good range time in.

My .340 Weatherby also has the removable brake. When I am at the range and shooting off of sticks I can only take around 10 shots before I need to put it away without the brake. If I put the brake on I can shoot it all day. I can just imagine what that 460 would make your shoulder feel like after 10 rounds. I have shot one a couple of times and that was enough for me, but then the one that I shot didn't have a brake on it.

Just take it off when you are hunting with it and if you are at a range with others pass out the foam ear plugs to the others around you if you plan to shoot it with the brake on.

I'd leave it on but as I mentioned be considerate of other around you even at a shooting range. Using the brake on the rifle is a good way to get to know your rifle and get good range time in.

My .340 Weatherby also has the removable brake. When I am at the range and shooting off of sticks I can only take around 10 shots before I need to put it away without the brake. If I put the brake on I can shoot it all day. I can just imagine what that 460 would make your shoulder feel like after 10 rounds. I have shot one a couple of times and that was enough for me, but then the one that I shot didn't have a brake on it.

Just take it off when you are hunting with it and if you are at a range with others pass out the foam ear plugs to the others around you if you plan to shoot it with the brake on.
My concern is the POI changing with the brake on.

My concern is the POI changing with the brake on.

My POI doesn't change with or without the brake on. But you can determine that at the range. Once you have your load that you plan to shoot with it zeroed with the brake on take it off and then see if you need to change the point of impact any. If you do then resight it in with the bake on and record how much it changed or once it is sighted in without the brake then shoot it with the brake to see where it is at. But don't change anything. Then when you head out on a hunt to check the zero and you want to use the brake just pull out the old target or know that with the brake on it will shoot to a different point, or just don't use the brake when you head off to another continent.

Our ph’s all rolled their eyes when we told them that we both brought 7 mm Remington magnums. They said they are too fast and the bullets make tiny holes. They preferred 375 HH mag, 30-6, and 300 wins. My dad’s shooting was poor and he did end up wounding a few animals that ended up getting recovered but not until the next day (which I hate btw). It changed the way I viewed rifles cartridges completely. Up until then the 7 mags literally dropped every texas whitetail we shot, but it’s big claim to fame if flat shooting, and I’m not a guy that ever shoots far enough for flat to matter. 375 from now on in this house.

I don't know what a PH would or would not like. I suspect as others have said, a rifle the hunter is proficient with and make clean kills.

As an aside, my PH in Mozambique used a Weatherby 460 as back up to me for buffalo. He was very proficient.

Our ph’s all rolled their eyes when we told them that we both brought 7 mm Remington magnums. They said they are too fast and the bullets make tiny holes. They preferred 375 HH mag, 30-6, and 300 wins. My dad’s shooting was poor and he did end up wounding a few animals that ended up getting recovered but not until the next day (which I hate btw). It changed the way I viewed rifles cartridges completely. Up until then the 7 mags literally dropped every texas whitetail we shot, but it’s big claim to fame if flat shooting, and I’m not a guy that ever shoots far enough for flat to matter. 375 from now on in this house.
If you shoot the 7MM RM well, I wouldn’t give up on it. I’ve had so much luck with it and Barnes Bullets. Both on PG from Springbok to Eland and up to Elk.

What area where you hunting in?
A 7mm RM will be perfect for the Cape and Namibia, less than ideal in the Bushveld.
Even then load it with 170gr bullets and you will lose a lot of edible meat but it will drop things when you do your part.

What area where you hunting in?
A 7mm RM will be perfect for the Cape and Namibia, less than ideal in the Bushveld.
Even then load it with 170gr bullets and you will lose a lot of edible meat but it will drop things when you do your part.
It was in Limpopo, maybe that is what they meant? Probably better suited for longer shots

When I first met my PH las june, he asked what I bring fot Cape Buffalo and PG. I said: 375 H&H loaded with Barnes 270 grains TSX. He said : Music to my ears.

He was not very fond of ultra velocity calibers. He was a great believer in the 308 or the 06' classe calibers loaded with premium bullets for plains game. The TSX and the TTSX are for him the perfect bullet.

The rage today is high BC target like bullets that may be do a decent job at long range but are poor killer up close.

While there I've seen a Gemsbok took 8 or 9 shots from a 28 Nosler loaded with VLD. The same rifle wounded a zebra with an 80 yards 3/4 toward shoulder shot. Just a very bad combination of rifle/bullet for the job.

Remember that perfect broadside shots are a rare thing in Africa. You'll mostly need to penetrate muscles and bones before getting in the vitals.

I don't have a lot of actual feedback on what PH's don't like, but itrespective of calibre they really frown upon incompetence. I have never heard them say anything negative about 375 H&H for DG and 30-06 for PG.

You can’t go wrong with a .375H&H! I have two…

When I think about my first two Safaris, one of the important parts is my 7MM REM MAG and the 25 plus PG I took with it. Likely 30 because I shot warthogs, baboon, and I’m certain a Jackal that weren’t picture posting worthy…

All the pictures in my Media with the Right Hand Black and SS A-Bolt 7MM REM MAG are animals taken in Limpopo and several in Free State Province SA. I made shots as close as 40 yards and as far as 330 yards…

That, with several elk, some black tail, mule deer, antelope, many California pigs, and a few coyotes and I’ve NEVER had one animal I didn’t recover the same day. I had a Gemsbok that was heart shot run about 50 yards further into the bush and a Red Hartebeest run about 75 yards after being heartshot. Most, if not all, my PG were one shot kills. I’ve had 2 Elk need two shots each.

*Caveat - I didn’t like what I was seeing from Accubond bullets. I switched to partition and ultimately settled on Barnes TSX and TTSX.

I feel compelled to share my experiences with 7MM RM so that the person who is planning their first Safari, who only has a 7MM RM or similar and shoots it well, with success in other places, may not be discouraged from bringing it.

7 REM MAG was the only hunting rifle I had for years and it certainly ethically dispatched a lot animals. It is RH and I shot it left handed. It wears a 20 plus year old Leopold VX3 Scope. It really does shoot true…

I’ve replaced it with a LH 300 RUM because I switched to LH rifles and wanted to extend my effective killing range. But, I wouldn’t hesitate to bring the old 7MM REM MAG again!

It gets said a lot on here; practice! Be proficient with whatever you are hunting with! I’ve never been lucky…

Last edited:
First trip was plains game, borrowed the PH's 7x57 Mauser. Very effective, five 1-shot kills and nothing ran more than about 50 yards. PH called me the Jamestown Sniper, one of the better names I've been called...
I shoot a 270 Win for whitetail deer, black bear and elk in the US. Plenty of gun for anything here except the big bears.

An iron sighted double rifle, with the right barrel chambered in 460 Weatherby, and the left barrel in 458 Win Mag. Both barrels fitted with muzzle brakes. The 460 barrel loaded with 350gr Hornady RN bullets at 3500 fps. The 458 WM barrel loaded with circa 1960 Winchester factory ammo. An almost unused pair of Courtney boots and a nice new shiny wide brimmed hat will complete the package. Your PH will LOVE you!

An iron sighted double rifle, with the right barrel chambered in 460 Weatherby, and the left barrel in 458 Win Mag. Both barrels fitted with muzzle brakes. The 460 barrel loaded with 350gr Hornady RN bullets at 3500 fps. The 458 WM barrel loaded with circa 1960 Winchester factory ammo. An almost unused pair of Courtney boots and a nice new shiny wide brimmed hat will complete the package. Your PH will LOVE you!
Just need the Boots! Do they come in a EEE Width?

I don't have a lot of actual feedback on what PH's don't like, but itrespective of calibre they really frown upon incompetence. I have never heard them say anything negative about 375 H&H for DG and 30-06 for PG.
@Kevin Peacocke,

the truth is, incompetence does happen, but the best shot in the world, with a perfect placed shot on a tough angle with a fast magnum and a SUPER SOFT bullet will equal a wounded animal. The bullet is what matters. all that time, effort, money, sweat and then you send a bullet at super high velocity that is not made for the speed it is fired at and proper penetration, wound channel and lethality are NOT accomplished. result is a wounded animal. i have slowly but surely become less and less of a fan of the super fast magnums because hunters will shoot bullets thru them that are not made for the stresses involved with impact on a med-large plains game animal.

not a critique of you, just a refinement of your thought encompassed in my never to be humble opinion. :)

@Kevin Peacocke,

the truth is, incompetence does happen, but the best shot in the world, with a perfect placed shot on a tough angle with a fast magnum and a SUPER SOFT bullet will equal a wounded animal. The bullet is what matters. all that time, effort, money, sweat and then you send a bullet at super high velocity that is not made for the speed it is fired at and proper penetration, wound channel and lethality are NOT accomplished. result is a wounded animal. i have slowly but surely become less and less of a fan of the super fast magnums because hunters will shoot bullets thru them that are not made for the stresses involved with impact on a med-large plains game animal.

not a critique of you, just a refinement of your thought encompassed in my never to be humble opinion. :)
Would the PH not ensure you had the proper ammo for the hunt? It’s concerning the frequency of incompetence demonstrated by African hunters where an entire class of lethal weapon is vilified because of it.

Well the "PH"/guide doesn't normally have before hunt contact with the client, in SA it is the "Outfitter" who does the booking & such, he could do both but needs extra credentials to become a Outfitter.

A PH can't lawfully advertise or book hunters with out a Outfitter Permit.

Outfitter could be dealing with 20 to even 60 clients & PH maybe 10 to 25, depends on days booked & hunt length, contract PH or Lodge/Ranch guide/PH.

Most Client hunters know it all, even if it is the first time hunting this country/species, much much worse if he has done a couple of hunts, he knows !

You could write a book on this & not cover it all, many hunters saying this or that, quoting from books or the internet, wants to use 270gr XYZ bullet in .375, even had guy arrive with 220 Swift wanting to shoot all the big game in the South Pacific with it, including Buffalo & Banteng.

Now I have been charged many times by wounded & unwounded Buffalo & more so Banteng (Tossed once by Banteng) most of these shot with proper rifles, so not that keen on the 220 Swift guy, but he had custom heavy bullets made up & a super fast twist barrel, common now days but rare in the old days.

Would the PH not ensure you had the proper ammo for the hunt? It’s concerning the frequency of incompetence demonstrated by African hunters where an entire class of lethal weapon is vilified because of it.
Incompetence is not limited to African hunters, plenty to go around...

Incompetence is not limited to African hunters, plenty to go around...
With so much at stake I am still scratching my head over all of these bad outcomes where most could be corrected with a preflight of the gear and demonstrated competency prior to the hunt. Instead we exclude the most lethal calibers because African DG hunters can’t be trusted to competently operate their rifles as well as bring the appropriate ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber