Bullet Choice

The 213 Hammer is a loooong bullet. Take a look at the specs. I am looking at the 225 Sledge for my 338-06, as the 213 is just too much.

We have been using a 150 TTSX in a 7mm Wby for years with great penetration and performance on elk. Even the 130TTSX in your 270 would be fine.

You don't realize how long the 213 is until you actually reload one. It barely fits into the magazine and it's seated as deep as I feel comfortable with. Definitely going to be into the Lans.

You don't realize how long the 213 is until you actually reload one. It barely fits into the magazine and it's seated as deep as I feel comfortable with. Definitely going to be into the Lans.
Yep, that's why I compared it to some 338 diameter bullets I have here and mocked it up before ordering any. I discussed it with Steve, and changed to the 225s.

After 40 plus years of contemplation I've finally pulled the trigger so to speak, and booked a hunt in Africa for this fall. I'll be hunting ten different animals anywhere from a springbuck to an Eland that can weigh upwards of 1,500-2000 pounds. Over the next few months my primary objective is going to be finding the proper bullets for my 338 Federal and my 270 WSM. In short I'm trying to find the best bullet for both cartridges.

For the 270 WSM I've focused on the Swift Aframe in 150 grains and for the 338 federal I've been working up loads using the 213 grain Hammer Hunter. So far these two respective bullets have given me the best performance and accuracy. My question is simple, are there any hunting bullets I should be trying in addition to these two? I've tried the Nosler Accubond but I'm getting better groups with the Swift Afraims. Are there any serious hunting bullets I should be testing against these two? I'm going to be shooting 600-800 rounds practicing so now is the time to develop rounds.
Michael
Woodleigh projectiles in Australia make a great range of projectiles for the 338 federal. A mate of mine used to load the 185gn Barnes in his and he used that successfully on scrub bulls in our northern territory, usually all 1 shot kills.

How about Woodleigh Bullets??
Dr Ray
I agree Woodleigh are a great bullet, cheaper than the others here in OZ. It would be great to have access to these other bullets at the prices others get them for. Our Woodleigh is just as good if not better than the accubonds and oryx. Swift A frames for my 25 are $127 Australian for a box of 50. Accubonds $ 109 AUD for 50 225grain 35 cal accubonds.
Woodleigh $60 / 50.

130 TTSX in the 270
185 TTSX in the 338

150gr tsx with .308 has perfectly worked for me on numerous plains game. I stepped up to 270gr tsx with 375 for eland, croc, kudu, waterbuck. I just train with less expensive bullets and switch to battle loads about 3 or 4 range visits prior to departure.

The Barnes bullets run too light for what I'm looking for; they have the TTSX in 110 and 130 grain but nothing in the 150 grain bullets. I need the weight for adequate penetration.
Those Barnes penetrate better than any other bullet, even if the other bullets may weigh more. You will definiately not make a mistake using Barnes TSX or TTSX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg