Buffalo load in Double Rifle

I shoot a 470 Heym,first up you should be using a chronograph,I have hardly ever shot factory ammo in my gun,I did shoot some ammo,federal that was given to me by my smith & it was too hot for my liking,my safety jumped halfway,
You need to get the velocity upto what a 470 is designed for 2150 fps,your rifle will regulate close to that velocity,you do not need two shots in one hole,2" @50 is excellent,I use R 15 in my gun with foam filler.

I shoot a 470 Heym,first up you should be using a chronograph,I have hardly ever shot factory ammo in my gun,I did shoot some ammo,federal that was given to me by my smith & it was too hot for my liking,my safety jumped halfway,
You need to get the velocity upto what a 470 is designed for 2150 fps,your rifle will regulate close to that velocity,you do not need two shots in one hole,2" @50 is excellent,I use R 15 in my gun with foam filler.
Good advise. Thank you sir.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.07.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.07.36 PM.png
    324.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.07.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.07.40 PM.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.07.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.07.42 PM.png
    312.9 KB · Views: 80
My Krieghoff Classic in .470 NE was regulated at 50m in 2006 using Federal 500gr "Wood" which I assume means "Woodleigh". I do not know what the velocity of the 2006 Federal loads was. I purchased 80 rounds of Nosler Safari 500gr solids (2100 fps) and these shoot to the desired POI. I also shoot Federal Premium Safari Cape Shok in the new 500gr Woodleigh Hydro Solid (2050fps) well but not as tight. I prefer to have the initial shots at game be Swift AFrame and I am reloading these in the spent brass. I reloaded these with IMR8431 at 1999fps but the shots are spreading out. I hope that switching to RL25 at 2092fps will help. Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated. Ed

I know, I know, some folks think that any and all Hornady bullets will forever be crap... and some folks also still think that every .458 Win slugs will forever bounce off buffalo... and some think that we never landed on the moon, etc. ... but the matched pair DGX BONDED and DGS (X for eXpanding and S for Solid) shoot remarkably well in my .470 K gun and have performed for me as well as can be desired...

One-shot buff (double lung at 30 yards in dense bush).

Here is a quick 1.5 second right & left at 50 yd off hand: typical 1.75" group center to center, left barrel into the left hole and right barrel into the right hole. Plenty good for a .470 especially considering I can barely see the front bead anymore (which is likely why the two shots are a touch high). I am pretty sure that off the sticks and with younger eyes behind it the gun can do much better...

That the DGX BONDED / DGS exactly duplicate the Kynoch barrel timing, are reasonably priced, and are consistently and widely available year after year does not hurt either...

And yes, the bonding of the DGX resulted in an all new bullet, the same way the bonding of the front core made the A Frame an all new bullet compared with its Nosler Partition ancestor, and the same way the Barnes TSX and TTSX are all new bullets that resolved the original issues with the Barnes X...

To each their own, but I would also try of box of them if I were you Glenn Slaven...

Just saying :)

Last edited:
I know, I know, some folks think that any and all Hornady bullets will forever be crap... and some folks also still think that every .458 Win slugs will forever bounce off buffalo... and some think that we never landed on the moon, etc. ... but the matched pair DGX BONDED and DGS (X for eXpanding and S for Solid) shoot remarkably well in my .470 K gun and have performed for me as well as can be desired...

One-shot buff (double lung at 30 yards in dense bush).

Here is a quick 1.5 second right & left at 50 yd off hand: typical 1.75" group center to center, left barrel into the left hole and right barrel into the right hole. Plenty good for a .470 especially considering I can barely see the front bead anymore (which is likely why the two shots are a touch high). I am pretty sure that off the sticks and with younger eyes behind it the gun can do much better...

That the DGX BONDED / DGS exactly duplicate the Kynoch barrel timing, are reasonably priced, and are consistently and widely available year after year does not hurt either...

And yes, the bonding of the DGX resulted in an all new bullet, the same way the bonding of the front core made the A Frame an all new bullet compared with its Nosler Partition ancestor, and the same way the Barnes TSX and TTSX are all new bullets that resolved the original issues with the Barnes X...

To each their own, but I would also try of box of them if I were you Glenn Slaven...

Just saying :)
Thank you for the advise. I’m open to all I can get.

For a cape buffalo , I believe that the best bullet in your .470 Nitro Express calibre double barreled rifle would have to be the Rhino Solid Shank . It is specifically designed to form 4 points inside the brute's vital organs with a controlled rate of expansion.
Then , you have Woodleighs and their excellent 500 grain conventional soft point bullet . These are especially good for vintage double barreled rifles .
They are also designed to deliver the best results at slightly lower velocities .
As a reference point ... observe the " PH" line of Nitro Express cartridges as sold by the Swedish company , Norma . Their advertised velocities are all within the 2000-2150 feet per second velocity range .
The Barnes TSX soft point bullet is also very good , but you have a compromise between either :
> An accurate load , achieving a reduced velocity
Or
> An slightly inaccurate load , achieving the desired velocity .

Your best course of action is to split the difference , and use Woodleigh bullets .
They will deliver more satisfactory results with the lowered velocity , than the Barnes TSX soft point bullets .

And yes , it is very much possible to kill a Cape Buffalo with a .30-06 Springfield calibre rifle . A fully mature Indian bull gaur bison weighs in the ambit of 2000 pounds , which is roughly 700 pounds heavier than an average 1300 pound African cape buffalo. If you use a 220 grain Winchester Silver Tip soft point bullet to inflict a double lung shot on the gaur , by aiming at the soft region behind the shoulder ... Then the gaur will go 140 yards , coughing blood from it's nose and mouth before dropping to the ground and expiring . Of course , shot placement is most critical , because your margin of error is practically nil . If your angling is off , by even 1 % , then you can expect a great deal of trouble .
Winchester used to market a 220 grain solid metal covered cartridge for the .30-06 Springfield , which was also used by several of my American clients on gaur bison ; Their point of aim was behind the shoulder , with the heart selected as a target . However , the hole which it used to make in the hearts of gaur bisons were too minute for any immediate effects upon the brute . My very longest tracking job on a gaur bison , which was shot through the heart by a .30-06 Springfield calibre 220 grain solid metal covered bullet was 11 hours .

For obvious reasons ... no sensible shikaree will arm himself with a .30-06 Springfield calibre rifle with the SPECIFIC INTENTION of going after a gaur bison or cape buffalo.

For a cape buffalo , I believe that the best bullet in your .470 Nitro Express calibre double barreled rifle would have to be the Rhino Solid Shank . It is specifically designed to form 4 points inside the brute's vital organs with a controlled rate of expansion.
Then , you have Woodleighs and their excellent 500 grain conventional soft point bullet . These are especially good for vintage double barreled rifles .
They are also designed to deliver the best results at slightly lower velocities .
As a reference point ... observe the " PH" line of Nitro Express cartridges as sold by the Swedish company , Norma . Their advertised velocities are all within the 2000-2150 feet per second velocity range .
The Barnes TSX soft point bullet is also very good , but you have a compromise between either :
> An accurate load , achieving a reduced velocity
Or
> An slightly inaccurate load , achieving the desired velocity .

Your best course of action is to split the difference , and use Woodleigh bullets .
They will deliver more satisfactory results with the lowered velocity , than the Barnes TSX soft point bullets .
the rhino solid shanks look neat. I don't think there is a source for them in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross