Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
England, Hungary, United States, Scotland, Namibia, Argentina
Hi all - I will soon be in Buenos Aries for a few nights and would much appreciate recommendations on gun and knife shops. I have heard that La Veneziana is a good gun shop, but it is unclear if the place is still open. Interested in buying authentic gaucho knives and/or folding knives made in country. Thanks for any pointers.

@ROCKET should be able to help if he's not chasing ducks at the moment

Hi Rimbaud,

Unfortunately La Veneziana closed its doors almost 15 years ago. I was a friend of the owner and visited the place every time I was in B. Aires.
Another traditional gunshop, perhaps the finest one in Argentina, that ended almost 100 years of life, was Pedro Worms. Incredible place full of history...located at the City downtown B.A. Just before it closed forever, the last owner of the same founding family, put on sale some incredible guns stored for years....! I miss by a day a pristine Mauser 410 B .22 LR. Looked NEW and unfired....
I can recommend a gunshop "My Friend", located at Paraguay Street just near the corner with Uruguay Street. They have some interesting fine used guns and fine knives as well.
Good luck and enjoy B. Aires and the "parrillas", barbecue restaurants, down there!

CF

Hi Rimbaud......completely agreed with Clodo and He allready put all the information you need........try to go to Pedro Worms......worth it

I hear there is "Good Air" in Buenos Aries. :A Whistle:

Beretta has a store, the Ralph Lauren store is worth the visit for the architecture. You will need to go to the Ricoletta District for shopping. Do not wear a flashy watch! Go to the Marina near the Women's bridge. There is an amazing lunch resturant there. I am gropping for the name. Plan at least an hour

Sorry I didn't answer your question. Forget about the gun/knife stores. Knives are available everywhere. Go and eat! You can literally eat at a gas station better than you can eat at most restaurants in the US. Always drink bottled water and their beer is great. Do not forget WINE!

Agree with Donnstar!! But I recommend, again, to go to My Friend gunshop. Specially for custom knives.
And, with our Italian inmigration, there are some VERY GOOD Italian restaurants. As good as in the Italy... I don´t want to say better (as some Italian friends said....). One of them is Broccolino. Located in Esmeralda street, near Cordoba avenue, also in downtown. I used to go often when I rented an appartment just in front of Broccolino for my then student children. Any of the dishes are for two...I never could finish one entirely myself...!

Definitely Broccolino. Some of the best Italian food I have had in my life has been in Argentina. For meat, Estilo Campo en Puerto Madero. Estilo Campo has been one of my favorite restaurants for over 20 years and they have the best mollejas I have ever eaten. For me, Argentina is one of the best food and wine destinations on the planet.

Not sure on Donnstar's bottled water comment. I lived there for two years and spent a lot of time there for work and never had an issue with the water.

Safe travels

Thanks all. We are staying at Francis Ford Coppolla’s house/hotel in the city. We made reservations at Don Julio and Mishugeneh. We will try Italian for lunch. We are in the city for a few days and then to Cordoba to shoot birds. We have an estancia with cooks, help, etc. After the shoot, we are headed to Patagonia. Once again, I’m amazed by the breadth of knowledge on this site. Rifles, hunting, fountain pens, watches, cigars, cities, restaurants …basically the best of everything the world has to offer.

Last edited:
Don Julio's is really good as well. My apartment was a few blocks from there. It is hard to go wrong at any of the restaurants in that area.

Safe travels

For Knives, try the Feria de San Telmo, an outdoor outdoor market that lines the street south of the main city square. Only open Sundays, but worth it.
For eats, maybe try Casa Las Lilas, located right on the water by the revived docklands. The steak I ate there still makes my mouth water......

Hi Rimbaud,

I was born in Cordoba! All my parents family is still there. And, by the way I live in Bariloche! Anything yo need just let me know.
Have a nice tour!!

CF
Thank you, my friend. I appreciate the good wishes and your offer. The outfitter just recommended a shop called Claraz on Posada. Do you know it? I am trying to avoid tourist shops, and also the extreme high-end shops in favor of the authentic. Best to you.

Hi Rimbaud,
Just landed at Buenos Aires. For bussiness hope ends well tomorow.
Agree,indeed, on "to avoid tourist shops, and also the extreme high-end shops in favor of the authentic"!
I don't know Claraz on Posada..

Estilo Campo has been one of my favorite restaurants for over 20 years and they have the best mollejas I have ever eaten.

+10000 to this.

@SFRanger7GP turned me on to Estilo Campo back in November when we did our most recent Argentina trip..

We ate at some incredible restaurants while we were there.. Had stupendous empanadas at Peron Peron.. a simply divine steak at La Brigada.. etc..

But without a doubt the best meal we had (myself, wife, and 2 daughters that were with us all 100% in agreement) was at Estilo Campo..

Very nice atmosphere.. very reasonable prices.. waitstaff that has service down to a perfected art.. and food simply to die for.. absolutely a top 10 meal in my lifetime.. and may well be the best steak Ive ever had anywhere on the planet (pretty big statement considering Ive been blessed with having been able to eat at places like Peter Luger (considered by many the best steakhouse in the US), Knife in Dallas (always a top 10 contender on any list), Gibsons in Chicago, La Brigada and Don Julio in Buenos Aries, etc..etc..)...

Were I returning to BA tomorrow.. if I only could get in 1 really nice meal while I was there.. I would head straight to Estilo Campo.. freaking amazing place..

@mdwest: Did you enjoy the Peronistas show in Peron Peron? I left a MAGA hat there my last visit. I was behind the bar. :LOL: The locals got a kick out of it. The empanadas de cuchillo in Peron Peron are awesome.

I have never had a bad meal in Argentina.

Safe travels

I think your hat is still there!

We noticed a MAGA hat resting on the top corner of a picture frame just to the side of the bar while we were there and thought "that's some funny shit! especially in here!" (knowing Peron was an ultra-nationalist, super populist, and often accused of being a fascist (when he wasn't actually a fascist)..

We were at the restaurant in Palermo.. we spent quite a bit of time over in San Telmo for other things, so thought a night in Palermo would be a nice change of scenery.. is that where you were tending bar? :D

We ordered 3 different empanadas between us and shared so that we could get a variety... we had the de chuchillo (definitely my favorite), the osso buco (wife favorite), and one that was just queso and some veggies (kids favorite).. All were outstanding...

As silly as it sounds.. the other place we had world class empanadas was at a "Goucho Show" we did at a ranch outside of BA... overall the food was above average.. but the empanadas were excellent.. and the entertainment at the goucho show made it very much worth the day trip with the kids along for vacation/hunt.. definitely a "tourist trap" type thing.. that was actually very cool and something we'd probably do again if we ever take the other kids to BA at some point..

Hi all - I will soon be in Buenos Aries for a few nights and would much appreciate recommendations on gun and knife shops. I have heard that La Veneziana is a good gun shop, but it is unclear if the place is still open. Interested in buying authentic gaucho knives and/or folding knives made in country. Thanks for any pointers.
Was in BA back in the Spring.

We had a great meal at Fogon Asado. Would highly recommend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg