Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
After enjoying much conversation in the Cinnamon Teal thread I though I would post this question.
What is your Top 5 or 10 bucket list waterfowl or birds in general? Mine are as follows:
1) Woodduck. They are to me what blue duiker are to @Royal27
2) Swan
3) Cinnamon Teal
4) Eygption Goose
5) King Eder
6) Harlequin Duck
7) Surf Scoter
8) Ruddy Duck
9) Hooded Merganser
10) Red Breasted Goose

1- King Eider (pair)
2 - Cinnamon Teal (pair)
3 - A good Bluewing teal (drake)
4 - Canvasback (hen)
5 - Pacific Eider (pair)
Dream birds Steller's Eider, Spectacled Eider

Jduck blue wing are a beautiful and underrated bird. I’ve shot several as we get mobs of them in the early Teal season at my place. Unfortunately they aren’t in full plumage yet when the come through on their way south. Now if we could ever have a spring season getting one all prettied up would be easy. They stop at us every year on the way back north too. Now if I can just get TPWD on the phone.

Jduck blue wing are a beautiful and underrated bird. I’ve shot several as we get mobs of them in the early Teal season at my place. Unfortunately they aren’t in full plumage yet when the come through on their way south. Now if we could ever have a spring season getting one all prettied up would be easy. They stop at us every year on the way back north too. Now if I can just get TPWD on the phone.
Yeah good luck with that plan, it's kinda the same way with Ruddy ducks

1) Specklebelly Goose
2) Eider
3) Harlequin
4) Canvasback
5) Widgeon
6) Pacific Brant

Go to New Zealand for Paradise ducks and black swams.

Can't even get started on Upland game as there is a lot.

King Eider
Harlequin
Old Squaw

My son and I are going to the Aleutian Islands in January to hopefully scratch number 1 off of our lists.

Gizmo, I am from NC. I shoot woodducks here like most people shoot mallards. I can pretty much guarantee a hunt to come out with 3 pretty Drake’s every time. Wood ducks come in fast right at light and fly for about 30 minutes. We use to hammer them and still make it to school on time.

NC has a great swan season as well pretty easy to get a permit for non resident. I have a nice lodge and can shoot wood ducks around the lodge quite easily with a goose shoot and then Hyde county is about an hour ish away and considered one of the biggest breeding grounds for swan near lake mattamuskeet. Very, very easy hunt. They aren’t the smartest birds but a memorable one.

I’d love to host you or do a swap. Pm me.

1) Specklebelly Goose
2) Eider
3) Harlequin
4) Canvasback
5) Widgeon
6) Pacific Brant

Go to New Zealand for Paradise ducks and black swams.

Can't even get started on Upland game as there is a lot.
I love specks. I’ve killed truck loads of them over the years and I seriously kick myself that I’ve never saved any of them to mount. As per typical now that I’ve been wanting one to mount I haven’t shot one since. @BWH and I could have both smoked one a couple years ago on a Goose hunt. We had laid down our guns to let some other folks in our group get in on the action and sure enough a big speck flared about 20 yards over the top of us.

Your hooded merg would also be an easy one. We can them lawn darts here and don’t typically shoot them. They make great mounts. Easy to shoot them in the swamps after shooting woodies. They dive bomb a mojo.

Surf scotor is another easy one in NC and our ruddy ducks are plentiful but have no color.

My son and I are going to the Aleutian Islands in January to hopefully scratch number 1 off of our lists.
That will be freakin awesome!!!!!!

Gizmo, I am from NC. I shoot woodducks here like most people shoot mallards. I can pretty much guarantee a hunt to come out with 3 pretty Drake’s every time. Wood ducks come in fast right at light and fly for about 30 minutes. We use to hammer them and still make it to school on time.

NC has a great swan season as well pretty easy to get a permit for non resident. I have a nice lodge and can shoot wood ducks around the lodge quite easily with a goose shoot and then Hyde county is about an hour ish away and considered one of the biggest breeding grounds for swan near lake mattamuskeet. Very, very easy hunt. They aren’t the smartest birds but a memorable one.

I’d love to host you or do a swap. Pm me.

Your hooded merg would also be an easy one. We can them lawn darts here and don’t typically shoot them. They make great mounts. Easy to shoot them in the swamps after shooting woodies. They dive bomb a mojo.

Surf scotor is another easy one in NC and our ruddy ducks are plentiful but have no color.
I would absolutely love to do a swap hunt. Ill shoot you a PM here in the next little bit. Unfortunately it’s going to be a little while before I’m able to start traveling again do to my schedule and business obligations but I’m certainly there as soon as I can.

I’d like to know how that goes. I’d like to hunt Island X up there.... knock out 3 of my 4, on the list.

I’d like to know how that goes. I’d like to hunt Island X up there.... knock out 3 of my 4, on the list.
I misspoke we are actually going to the Pribilof Islands, St Paul to be exact. But either location is supposed to be a sea duck hunters dream. I'll be sure to let you know how we make out.

1. Harlequin
2. Cinnamon Teal
3. King Eider
4. Red Grouse
5. Brant
and Gizmo I do agree wood ducks are beautiful I just get them often enough to not call it a bucket list bird although it is a treat for the eyes and mouth when you do get one.

1. Harlequin
2. Cinnamon Teal
3. King Eider
4. Red Grouse
5. Brant
and Gizmo I do agree wood ducks are beautiful I just get them often enough to not call it a bucket list bird although it is a treat for the eyes and mouth when you do get one.
Brant are indeed a bird I admire too.
Another cool bird that unfortunately aren’t available for hunting to my knowledge is the Nene Goose.

Are you hunting Izembeck lagoon? Pretty cool spot.

Are you hunting Izembeck lagoon? Pretty cool spot.
No we'll be a bit further north in the middle of the Berring sea.

1-Harlequin
2-Cinnamon Teal
3-chiloe widgeon
4-Eurasian Widgeon
5-Brant Atlantic or Pacific
6-king eider
7-oldsqaw
8-Plummed Blue-wing real
9-barrows goldeneye
10-Australain shoveler

I've successfully hunted in NC - mallard, black duck, wood duck, green-wing real,blue wing real, widgeon, gadwall, pintail, shoveler, ring-neck, lesser and greater scaup, redhead, buffleheads, black scoter, surf scoter, white wing scoter, hooded merganser, common merganser, red-breasted merganser, ruddy duck, tundra swan, lesser snow goose, Canada goose

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois