Browning A-Bolt Hunter II .375 H&H - Questions

Browning Hunter,

I know what you mean in regards to a rifle not only being a tool but also a work of art and craftsmanship. I love the "want" list on your rifle. makes it very personal and tells a story......

I frequently modify my factory rifles with "upgrades", and usually have them stocked in a nice piece of wood that fits me well. Timney triggers are great additions. I have them on most of my rifles and feel that they provide a great balance between function, feel, and durability. They may not be the slickest aftermarket trigger out there, but they usually don't require extensive cleaning when they get dirty, or in between shooting sessions to keep them from malfunctioning, like some of the target or varmint triggers do. Not that those triggers aren't great, but just not as finicky as the precision triggers out there.. One man's opinion I guess. Anyways, I digress........

As an aside, talking of upgrades. This is a Ruger Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger with a 24 inch barrel that I purchased new. I didn't like the way the stock fit me, and the recoil pad was too thin. The gun pounded on me at the range. Also, even though the new LC6 trigger is an improvement over the old style Ruger triggers, it still wasn't what I was looking for, so I installed a Timney aftermarket trigger and it's a night and day difference. No perceptible creep or over-travel after adjustment, and breaks like a glass rod at 3 lbs. I purchased this rifle with the intention of converting it into an "Alaskan" or wet-climate gun for hunting the big bears, moose, etc. It sports a custom laminate stock from the guys at Accurate Innovations, with a recoil reducer installed and a 1" Limbsaver pad fit to my length of pull. They even installed the cross bolts again because I liked the look. Normally I prefer a finely figured piece of English walnut and matte blued steel, but laminates and synthetics along with climate coatings have there place for sure.

I also put a stronger firing pin spring in than what came from the factory to insure ignition in cold, wet conditions, and polished the feed rails, ramp, and bolt lugs to make the action slick. Finally, I had the whole rifle Cerakoted, and a coating by Cerakote called MicroSlik applied to the bolt to keep the action and bolt operating smooth in wet, dirty conditions. I also changed the fiber optic sight pin to a different color (green) and topped it with a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 with the German #4 cross hairs and amber dot with QD 30mm Warne rings. I say all this not to brag (.....well maybe a little ;)), but to let you know that I completely understand how obsessed one can get in making a rifle his own........... FYI, the bolt handle isn't as "white" as it looks in the picture. the flash made it stand out a lot more than it really does. Anyway, it shoots and functions great. Now I just need to book a Brown Bear hunt in Alaska to try it out........

Anyway, great rifle you have. I definitely think you can't go wrong with Timney products if you can get them. Make sure you send us the pictures when you do all of your upgrades! Good hunting!

IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg

Browning Hunter,

I have a Browning A-bolt II Medallion in 300 WSM. For various reasons it has slowly worked it's way to the back of the safe, and I don't use it as much anymore, but not because it wasn't a great rifle. Always very accurate......Anyway, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but Timney makes a spring kit that lightens the trigger pull to 2 or 3 lbs depending on the spring you use. I myself have not utilized this kit, and I would be curious if anyone on this forum has, but from comments I've read, it does make a significant difference. I agree that the trigger adjustment and feel, or lack thereof, is the only real knock this rifle has against it. I think for the money, it's a good value.

Here's a video of someone installing the spring......looks like a very easy fix that you might consider. I'm not sure if you have a source in S.A. for the Timney springs, but it may be worth a shot if you find the trigger pull a little heavy..

Hi I bought a browning a bolt 375 H&H in 2015. I find it extremely accurate. The trigger however is to heavy. I would like to replace it with a timney but cannot find a supplier in Pretoria. Can anybody assist?

I have 2, the first I have owned some 22 years, it was the first rifle I bought with my own money.

It weighs 3.9kg with a Swarovski scope and a full magazine, so around the 8lb mark. It's light for full house loads, but is exceptionally accurate.

The trigger is and always has been.......lumpy, creepy and a bit heavier than it really should be, but the accuracy is such that I've never changed it. I lost a bit of a feed lip from one side of the magazine, but it feeds flawlessly nonetheless.

The second is now a 300 H&H, which feeds easily with no other modifications besides the barrel. I chose to retain the 26" barrel as it will be used in different terrain, the barrel was chosen for its weight, to be similar to the 375 in handling. Not because its really that great, both are fairly muzzle heavy, but it's familiar. Yes I could have chosen a bog standard model in 300 Winchester Magnum, but where's the fun in doing that? The trigger on this one is MUCH better.

Both are stainless synthetic models. The 26" barrel is too long for thick vegetation, but I'm used to it now.

Of course I have have double disease, but the A bolt will always be among my top choice for medium game and up.

Hi I bought a browning a bolt 375 H&H in 2015. I find it extremely accurate. The trigger however is to heavy. I would like to replace it with a timney but cannot find a supplier in Pretoria. Can anybody assist?

take it past Jaco at Morkel &Crouse inside Safari and Outdoor , he has worked on my A bolt triggers .

I have 2, the first I have owned some 22 years, it was the first rifle I bought with my own money.

It weighs 3.9kg with a Swarovski scope and a full magazine, so around the 8lb mark. It's light for full house loads, but is exceptionally accurate.

The trigger is and always has been.......lumpy, creepy and a bit heavier than it really should be, but the accuracy is such that I've never changed it. I lost a bit of a feed lip from one side of the magazine, but it feeds flawlessly nonetheless.

The second is now a 300 H&H, which feeds easily with no other modifications besides the barrel. I chose to retain the 26" barrel as it will be used in different terrain, the barrel was chosen for its weight, to be similar to the 375 in handling. Not because its really that great, both are fairly muzzle heavy, but it's familiar. Yes I could have chosen a bog standard model in 300 Winchester Magnum, but where's the fun in doing that? The trigger on this one is MUCH better.

Both are stainless synthetic models. The 26" barrel is too long for thick vegetation, but I'm used to it now.

Of course I have have double disease, but the A bolt will always be among my top choice for medium game and up.

The first rifles that I purchased more than 20 years ago where A Bolts in 30-06 and 338 WM and later a .270 and 375h&h , I can without hesitation tell you that all of these rifles are my most accurate rifles , shooting factory ammo at sub MOA at 100m .

Although I don't use them much any more (except for my .270 in the Kalahari ) I am of the opinion that they are fantastic rifles for non dangerous game and excellent value for money.

My A Bolts are now mainly used by my sons for both the range and hunting and they still shoot as accurately as ever .

It's literally just a spring kit that has 2 different springs that adjust the trigger pull weight. If you could find the kit where you are, it's a simple drop in. There's videos on YouTube showing how to place it in. The problem I guess is finding the kit. If there weren't so many damn export/ITAR laws governing the shipping of "weapons" parts, it would be easy to have someone here stateside ship you one, but you can't do that very easily.

take it past Jaco at Morkel &Crouse inside Safari and Outdoor , he has worked on my A bolt triggers

That'd be easiest. If this person is close by, a trigger job by a competent gunsmith is always best. The spring kit works really well, but compared to a trigger that's been truly worked over well, I'm sure it's not really close......

Good luck.

I have 2 a-bolts, a medallion in .25/06, and a .375 . Both of mine have adjustable triggers from the factory. Don't intend to sound insulting, but have you checked that? Took both of them down to 2.25 lbs with a 2 minute adjustment. I do like the timney triggers, have one on a weatherby.

I have 2 a-bolts, a medallion in .25/06, and a .375 . Both of mine have adjustable triggers from the factory. Don't intend to sound insulting, but have you checked that? Took both of them down to 2.25 lbs with a 2 minute adjustment. I do like the timney triggers, have one on a weatherby.
the triggers are adjustable , I have done 2 of mine as well , the other 2 were done by the gunsmith as I could not get them to set at the lower pressure.

I picked up my A-Bolt in .375 many years ago. It was on the used rack at a local gun shop, apparently too much rifle for the former owner. The one con I have regarding this rifle is the 26 inch barrel. I MAY have it cut down at some point in the future, but it shoots too well currently.

I picked up my A-Bolt in .375 many years ago. It was on the used rack at a local gun shop, apparently too much rifle for the former owner. The one con I have regarding this rifle is the 26 inch barrel. I MAY have it cut down at some point in the future, but it shoots too well currently.

I agree that the barrel is too long , but mine also shoots to accurately to change .

I will just leave it the way it is .

I always like those long barrels on the A-bolts, anyway they are very accurate.:whistle:

Resurrecting this thread... I bought a LH A-Bolt 375 H&H and was planning on using it for buffalo in a couple of years.
I'm reading (on multiple sites) this is not a DG rifle. Could someone explain? Did I make a bad choice?

I think it has something to do with it being a pushfeed rather than controled feed. I own one. Never had any issues with it and it shoot any time of ammo extremely accurate.

No, it’s not a bad choice.

I have one also, RH, and have owned it for nearly 30 years. It’s a bit short on magazine capacity and is push feed but it works well and having the ability to change magazines in a hinged floorplate is very handy.

If I didn’t have an alternative option, I wouldn’t hesitate, but I would be practicing a lot - 500 rds in the year before your trip and you’ll have your PH backing you up.

With any signs of unreliability, it’s off to the smith for repair and lots of practice. Confidence is your gear is far more important that any specific feature.

No, it’s not a bad choice.

I have one also, RH, and have owned it for nearly 30 years. It’s a bit short on magazine capacity and is push feed but it works well and having the ability to change magazines in a hinged floorplate is very handy.

If I didn’t have an alternative option, I wouldn’t hesitate, but I would be practicing a lot - 500 rds in the year before your trip and you’ll have your PH backing you up.

With any signs of unreliability, it’s off to the smith for repair and lots of practice. Confidence is your gear is far more important that any specific feature.

I also have had one for about 30 years. It and I leave for Africa next week. No hesitations!

I have mine topped with a NightForce NX8 1-8. Great all around big game gun. You will be happy!

I have a left handed A Bolt in 7mmRem Mag and 375 H and H. Both have nearly equal trigger pull and bolt throw so they cycle very similarly. Both shoot more accurately than I can shoot them. Being left handed limits our choices. These have been good to me!

I got my first A Bolt in 30/06 in 87 or around there as it was the first Stainless Synthetic (turned out to be painted wood lol) stock rifle available, it was a fantastic rifle I still have it & 3 more but do prefer the A Bolt II & yes the triggers are very ordinary, one of mine has a Timney spring fitted which is a bit better, been using my Sako 75's & 85's a bit more lately but still love the A Bolts, yes push feed so not classed by most as a DG rifle but I was going to rebarrel one to 458Win as I liked them so much but I ended up using 3 CF rifles in the end .

I have had my A-Bolt II in 375H&H since 1993? Shot it so much I had to rebarrel it. Stayed with the 26" length for balance. Best aftermarket upgrade is a Timney Trigger Spring. I have mine at 2.5# pull. Wearing a Leupold VX6 2-12×42. It cycles everything extremely well. The only bullet I've struggled to get accuracy from is Winchester Fail Safe. Everything else is sub-moa. With Hornady 270gr SP sub-half moa, best performance bullet for me. Would not hesitate to use on DG. A-Bolts have an M-16 style extractor, very reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErmaVenn2

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.