Therack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA PF DU NWTF
My .375 is ejecting the spent brass into the windage turret on my scope and causing it to fall back into the action and jamming the gun. The first thing I changed was to go to a high set of detachable rings, Warne .525", that didn't help. The second try at fixing was to put in a stiffer ejector spring, that didn't help. The original scope was a Leupold VX-6 that has the larger finger turn turrets. I then switched to a VX-2 with the smaller turrets, that helped a littler but still jams 25% of the time. I leave for a hunt in 22 days and I'm running out of options, all my permits are in place for this rifle. Is there a scope with the windage turret on the left side of the scope? The gunsmith at Browning hadn't heard of this problem. I can't find anyone talking about this problem on other forums. Any help would be appreciated!!!

My .375 is ejecting the spent brass into the windage turret on my scope and causing it to fall back into the action and jamming the gun. The first thing I changed was to go to a high set of detachable rings, Warne .525", that didn't help. The second try at fixing was to put in a stiffer ejector spring, that didn't help. The original scope was a Leupold VX-6 that has the larger finger turn turrets. I then switched to a VX-2 with the smaller turrets, that helped a littler but still jams 25% of the time. I leave for a hunt in 22 days and I'm running out of options, all my permits are in place for this rifle. Is there a scope with the windage turret on the left side of the scope? The gunsmith at Browning hadn't heard of this problem. I can't find anyone talking about this problem on other forums. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Can you afford to move the scope forward or back any distance?

If you have a standard duplex, rotate the scope 90 degrees counter clockwise?

Edge

My guess is there isn't a lot of room to move the scope both in terms of space and eye relief. You could get a piece weaver multi slot rail and put a slip on recoil pad on. That would move the scope back.

If it has iron sights, that is always an option. As is just renting a gun

Can you afford to move the scope forward or back any distance?

If you have a standard duplex, rotate the scope 90 degrees counter clockwise?

Edge

Twisting the scope is an unconventional fix but I see no reason it wouldn't work. At least to get you through this trip.

If memory serves me the Brownings have an ejection system. If this is indeed the case a good gunsmith should be able to replace it with an extractor that will pull the brass out at close to a 90 degree angle. This is pretty commonly done when adapting Remington actions for competitive target use. FWIW I've always had Sako extractors installed but there may be others.

Good luck.

Twisting the scope is an unconventional fix but I see no reason it wouldn't work. At least to get you through this trip.

If memory serves me the Brownings have an ejection system. If this is indeed the case a good gunsmith should be able to replace it with an extractor that will pull the brass out at close to a 90 degree angle. This is pretty commonly done when adapting Remington actions for competitive target use. FWIW I've always had Sako extractors installed but there may be others.

Good luck.

I just reread my statement and realized I left something out.

If memory serves me the Brownings have an ejection system similar to a Remington.

Strange; my A-bolt (almost brand new) throws out the brass close to flat-no way it can hit a scope.

New gun? Demand a replacement
Old one? I would dismantle and clean and check and lubricate. Quite a lot of parts involved. Still an issue?; turn the scope.

It's not a new gun, X Bolts replaced the A Bolt years ago. It's a slightly used gun. I have had a gunsmith go through the bolt twice, it's clean and has no problems.

Thanks for the input.

Use higher rings. The spent round may still whack the turret but not enough to fall back in and jam.

.......... Is there a scope with the windage turret on the left side of the scope? The gunsmith at Browning hadn't heard of this problem. ................

Just a wild idea.
I have zero clue what your reticle looks like. So, this might not work for you.
There is a very simple fix, given the restrictions you have with permits.

Typical turret alignment with up and down at point A on top of the scope and C has the left right.
images.png

Loosen your screws and rotate the turrets to this position. You now have the turret out of the way.

images-1.png

Counter intuitive but I would also try a weaker ejector spring. I use all Remington or custom clones and have changed out all of the ejector springs to weak ones. The brass still ejects ok and doesn't go in to the next county.

A-bolts does not really send the brass further then they have to... more like next door then next county..

Turn the scope.

Still a good supply of new a-bolts in my part of the world; not really sure why but norskies buys Tikka T3s instead

Still a good supply of new a-bolts in my part of the world; not really sure why but norskies buys Tikka T3s instead

The barrels maybe? Value for the dollar? A friend of mine bought one. It was a beautiful rifle but after five shots, the bore looked like a gold mine. Accuracy was sub par. Sent it back and Browning said there was nothing wrong with it. Now before you fanboys get your shorts all twisted up, I'm not saying they are all like that and every maker can get a bad one but it was enough for him to swear off Brownings. YMMV.

Use higher rings.

I'm using the highest detachable rings I can find, .525" Warne. Any higher and my cheek won't be on the stock.

This is what I do with most all my hunting rifles. Simply rotate the scope 90 degrees left. :) It completely opens up the port for reloading in haste and provides max clearance for ejected carts. Of course you'll have to change the direction of Up-Down and Left-Right- not rocket science. I just use a small xtra fine point felt tip and mark the dials inside the turrets for convenience.
Win 70 416 scope rotation.JPG

Adj direction .JPG

Last edited:
I haven't thought about it until this issue came up. Why put the windage turret right over the action? Seems simple enough to put it on the left side.

My only guess could be something like- "it's always been done that way" or Could have started long ago when knobs and projections were kept to right side of a gun because most right handers "trail carry" in the right hand with the gun sometimes rubbing against the right side of the body. Who knows.....

I haven't thought about it until this issue came up. Why put the windage turret right over the action? Seems simple enough to put it on the left side.

Many of the newer scopes have exposed turrets and since most are right handed shooters, it's easier to adjust for longer range shooting. That and to additionally manufacture left side probably wouldn't be cost effective.

Yes, the style trend in scopes however may preclude the above mentioned simple solution of rotating 90 degrees left where there may be at least 3 long ranger danger tactical knobs, gadgets sticking out here and there :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg