Brno Action "stronger" than Mauser

NewForester

AH member
Reaction score
I was talking to a gun dealer about a rifle and he mentioned that it was built on a Brno action rather than Mauser because the Brno action was "stronger".

I don't know what he meant by "stronger" and I know that there must have been many hundreds of thousands of Mauser 98 actions out there, and although I know that both are Controlled Round Feed I was not aware that one Controlled Round Feed action was regarded as better than another.

Is there any truth to his statement of Brno being stronger than Mauser?

I think it might stem from using modern steels, modern heat treat (not just surface carburized), non-slave labor, non-wartime production corner cutting, etc..

As typical to gunstore warriors though, he doesn't realize that the Brno IS a Mauser action - just like a 70, Ruger, Dakota - sure - different companies are making them, but the design basis is from Peter-Pauls' rifle. One might even make the case that MOST modern bolt gun branches (not Blasers) grew from the trunk of the Mauser - but less expensive to manufacture may not equal as strong/good/reliable in human or cape buffalo combat. Some people use 700s for dangerous game with no regrets, so YMMV.

Naturally, a modern .458 Lott WOULD be stronger - bigger action scaled up to handle a bigger cartridge vs. a K98 or a VZ-24. I "hear" in his comment that he is parroting what he heard and doesn't really understand what he is reciting.

Satterlee crafts Mauser actions from scratch and I am sure they are stronger than factory Mausers from WWII, but that is a pointless comparison.

It stems from the fact that the Brno, like the commercial FN, has a solid left sidewall, as opposed to the Mauser 98, that has a thumb hole machined into the left.

I guess it would depend on what BRNO action he is talking about..

To @USMA84DAB 's point... most BRNO's are either Mauser 98 actions.. or close cousins..

In terms of whether or not the quality of a BRNO is better than another Mauser 98.. It really depends on what other Mauser 98 its being compared to.. and the actual individual action itself..

I would tell you that I have two custom "mausers" built on BRNO VZ24 pre WWII actions that are absolutely supurb...

But are they any better or stronger than the custom mauser I have that was built on an early 1930's Oberndorf action.. probably not..

The other question to ask is.. how strong do you really need? At what point does "strong" stop really being relevant or provide additional value?

I've got a 416 Taylor built on a mid 30's Brazilian (DWM produced) 98 Mauser.. The 416 Taylor is a high pressure cartridge (63.8K PSI as opposed to 56.6K produced by 8mm Mauser).. the Brazilian Mauser action has had zero problems handling the high pressure taylor loads...

So... how much "stronger" of an action is really needed?

The gentleman is not incorrect , especially if he is referring to the BRNO ZKK-600 series actions ( ZKK-600 = standard length action , ZKK-601 = short length action , ZKK-602 = Magnum length action ) .

These things are made of the the world renowned Czech Poldi steel and are built like tanks . Here is a specimen which belongs to one of my students ( a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum ) .
4806B28B-F38A-44DC-8445-6DCB1C51B787.jpeg

One may use the BRNO ZKK - 602 action ( for instance ) to build a rifle in any sporting calibre ranging from .375 Holland & Holland Magnum to .500 Jeffery ( even a few rifles in .505 Gibbs have been on these actions over the years , but I personally do not recommend it because the bolt face just barely manages to accommodate the rim of the gigantic .505 Gibbs case ) .

I personally consider this action to rival the Pattern - 14 Enfield action and the Enfield Model 1917 action ( my preferred action of choice for my custom made .458 Winchester Magnum ) .

Another feature of the BRNO ZKK-600 series actions which I am personally fond of , is that the magazine base plate release button is located outside the trigger guard rather than within the trigger bow .

As a matter of fact , I dare say that these actions are worth much more than the actual rifles themselves . And should you be able to find a pre 1975 model with the pop up peep sight located in. The receiver , then you have a true gem .

It stems from the fact that the Brno, like the commercial FN, has a solid left sidewall, as opposed to the Mauser 98, that has a thumb hole machined into the left.
I think if you get down to relying on that difference you are already in trouble.

The pre WW2 BRNO Mauser VZ24 I have are very nice. Smoother than their German made counterparts in the small sample size I have. Smoother than my new cz 550. My older CZ is very smooth now, after 16 years or more of use.

I think if you get down to relying on that difference you are already in trouble.

I agree 100%. I merely mentioned it as a reason often qouted in the gun literature as to why these actions are potentially better suited to handle more horsepower.

I own multiple Brnos, FNs, Oberndorf Mausers and Rugers, and can not say that I can notice any features suggesting better quality on either.

I own multiple Brnos, FNs, Oberndorf Mausers and Rugers, and can not say that I can notice any features suggesting better quality on either.

Yep.. Ive got Chilean, Brazilian, Argentine, DWM, Oberndorf, Erfurt, BRNO mausers all in the safe..

A few are a little tighter/smoother and/or shoot a bit more accurately than others.. But I think that is specific to the gun itself (not the factory of origin or the year it was made.. all of these are between the wars or after WWII actions.. none were made during the war years) and the quality of the build when the old military mauser was converted to a hunting rifle..

Calibers include 7x57, 8x57, .308, .30-06, .35 Whelen, and .416 Taylor.. Ive yet to have a problem out of any of them..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross