Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
our family is headed to NZ this March. I know we can ship the skulls and antlers back. But wanted to see if anyone has had luck just bring European mounts back on the plane? I lived in NZ 15 years ago for a year. Did some hunting and brought back some antlers. But no skulls. Looking forward to getting back down there. Not looking forward to a 15 hour flight with a 1 year old tho

Clean skulls,
Veterinary inspection clearance letter
Anything NZ requires for export of such items.

drop SSI a line for further detail or assistance

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought my antlers and capes with me. I had the paperwork filled out. At customs they tried to get the Fish and Wildlife folks to come look. They couldn't get someone. So they asked 2 questions. Did you notify the US Fish and Wildlife that you were coming. I had both called and e-mailed without any response. Next is were the capes and skull prepared by a professional taxidermist. I said yes and was waived right through.
Best of luck. Bruce

I brought my antlers and capes with me. I had the paperwork filled out. At customs they tried to get the Fish and Wildlife folks to come look. They couldn't get someone. So they asked 2 questions. Did you notify the US Fish and Wildlife that you were coming. I had both called and e-mailed without any response. Next is were the capes and skull prepared by a professional taxidermist. I said yes and was waived right through.
Best of luck. Bruce

+1 Bruce.

You might also pm @K-man he did this a couple years ago.

All the best

Best of luck. Bruce

What paper work did you fill out? Would be nice to bring it back and save on shipping.

What paper work did you fill out? Would be nice to bring it back and save on shipping.

Did this in 2015 and had no issues.

Was told I needed to fly via LAX as flights from San Francisco couldn't do import; so check on that.

Filled out form USF&W 3-177. Made a appointment for my return flight time by calling before trip, and then had a friend reconfirm that 24 hrs before my departure back to US by calling USF&W at LAX. (310) 328- 6307 and getting name of officer who answered.

Got a simple New Zealand DOC form and a letter from Christchurch office emailed to hotel for export certificate with a permit number.(2 pages)

I claimed all my bags at LAX and went to special line where folks had stuff to declare and that added about an hour to my arrival time. No issues and a USF&W officer was waiting for me, he did his paperwork and then I cleared Customs and gun serial numbers. Re checked all of it for my flight home to JFK.

I did let cape dry a bit by hanging on balcony in hotel with some extra salt just to make sure it was as dry as possible. Had skull and horns in a box as carry on in case things got derailed with multiple flights so I'd have something from trip, but it all went OK.

6 months later mount was on wall thanks to Dennis on here; pics are floating on a thread somewhere here.

I'm on almost 9 months from a SA trip this past April and the trophies were handed to taxidermist last day of hunt......

They just hit NY last week and I'm waiting on clearance on raw trophies after a chunk of change; it'll be over 2 grand.

Sure takes the fun out of this and has me re thinking where I'm spending my money on future hunting trips. Almost bought a hunt on here and deleted the email after a sobering moment had me really adding up hunt cost.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to write all that great info. Will put it to use for sure

Best of luck. Bruce
Greetings,
The CFR Regulations that govern the import of sport hunted trophies in the US states that in order for the trophies to enter the US, they must be formally cleared by USFWL and be given a stamped 3177 as proof to be legal in this country.
Best,
Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaHoola

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!