Bowhunting Botswana?

Werty

AH member
Joined
Sep 24, 2019
Messages
39
Reaction score
96
Location
Montana
Media
10
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
Botswana
I hunted Botswana last year, my family and I are planning to go back next year. Unfortunately last year I was unable to take my bow do to a medical issue. We were in Botswana in May.

I'll be hunting around Ghanzi. When is the best time to hunt the area. I'm primarily after kudu ( I understand rut is in April). My concern is foliage, when are most of the leaves off of tree and shrubs? Im going to ask my PH, but I would like to hear from people that have bowhunted there before or around there.
 
I don't know why leaf density would be concern for bowhunting? I'm familiar with the area around Ghanzi. IMO, if anything more leaf density in the Kalahari scrub would be an advantage for the bow hunter for still hunting or spot and stalk. In reality most bowhunting is likely done sitting in a blind at a waterhole. Then hoping for a close enough shot and the luck of the animal not jumping the string. Given that reality, just look at going toward the end of the driest/ hottest season to shoot a desperate one coming to a waterhole or pan.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,242
Messages
1,569,393
Members
168,678
Latest member
Yasmin5947
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top