Botswana unfazed ... West threatens boycott over lifting of elephant hunting ban

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source: https://southerntimesafrica.com/sit...-boycott-over-lifting-of-elephant-hunting-ban

Botswana unfazed ... West threatens boycott over lifting of elephant hunting ban

Mpho Tebele

Gaborone - Botswana insisted this week that it would not be intimidated by conservationists from the West, who are mobilising against it following a government report that recommended that elephants should be culled.

The Cabinet sub-committee, which has been consulting the nation on whether to lift the hunting ban has proposed that it be lifted, but the southern African nation is now facing pushback from the West’s animal activists who have threatened to boycott its tourism industry.

But Botswana President Mokgweetsi Masisi is unmoved by the threats, as he dug his heels in this week insisting he “will not be intimidated”.

Following reports that Botswana intends to lift a 2014 trophy hunting ban, the social media and the international press, especially the Western media have been awash with reports that some animal activists and tourists planned to boycott Botswana’s tourism industry.

The move comes amid growing tension over the nation’s elephant population, with some arguing that the number of elephants has grown and that the animals are damaging crops.

The country is home to the world’s largest elephant population, with estimates putting the number at about 130,000 elephants.

Masisi insisted that he was “not going to be intimidated while wildlife kills our people”.

Speaking at a Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) regional congress, Masisi said: “I run a consultative government. We have a problem with human-wildlife conflict. I never said we will go all out and kill all elephants in Botswana.”

He revealed that he has offered his critics some of the elephants and “they are welcome to help us reduce their population”.

“We had to backtrack and consult about it (whether to lift hunting ban or not). Where do they get the guts to tell us how we should take care of our wildlife when they do not have anything? I was in England with minister Unity Dow where I told them that their problem was they are talking elephant issues as if there are no people. I said to them that we will give you 200 elephants in England and just let them roam all over (just) as you want them to in Botswana,” fumed Masisi.

Masisi accused the Western critics of being disrespectful and observed that there are “some of our own helping them disrespect Batswana”.

“They think we are stupid having our people terrorised by these animals in areas they are not even supposed to be. I still encourage them to come and get them and then maybe we can talk, as they would know what the animals are capable of. We can even add lions, buffalos, leopards and cheetahs,” a defiant Masisi said.

In its report, the committee recommended, among others, that the ban is lifted, the government develop a legal framework that will create an enabling environment for the growth of the safari hunting industry.

The committee proposed that Botswana manage the population of elephant within its historic range. It also recommended that the department of wildlife undertake an effective outreach programme within the elephant range to reduce human/wildlife conflict.

The committee also proposed that Botswana strategically erect human/wildlife conflict fences in a few hotspot areas and game ranches be demarcated to serve as buffers between communal and wildlife areas.

It recommended the closure of wildlife migration routes that are not beneficial to the country’s conservation efforts.

It also recommended the introduction of regular but limited elephant culling; establishment of elephant meat canning including the production of pet food and processing into other by-products from culled elephants. Masisi said a white paper will follow and would be shared with the public.

Former President Ian Khama’s administration introduced the hunting ban in 2014.

In another related matter, Botswana’s tourism ministry has questioned a new report by an organisation contracted by the government in 2018 to conduct an aerial survey of elephants in the north of the country.

The ministry's permanent secretary Thato Raphaka said the government was not happy with the report by Mike Chase from Elephants Without Borders. According to Raphaka, “It is regrettable that Dr Chase, in a report purporting to be scientific, includes an astonishing number of pictures of dead elephants, 63 pages to be precise.”

He noted that “this definitely is not standard practice in aerial survey reporting”.

Raphaka said that another interesting point is that the authors reported that the carcass ratio had progressively increased from 2% in 2010 to 7% in 2014 and 8% in 2018.

“The 2014 figure is almost four times higher than the 2010 figure but the authors did not sound the alarm at the time. Instead at the time, the authors considered Botswana an elephant safe haven. Surely greater concerns should have been expressed after the 2014 survey than now when the ratio is only slightly higher,” said Raphaka.

He, however, acknowledged that the government was “under no illusion that poaching has become a threat to Botswana with her large elephant population”.

But Chase insists that “elephant poaching in Botswana is happening on the scale I proclaim”.

He said: “By continually denying the extent of poaching, we might be undermining international support. I believe that in avoiding transparency, we could be exposed to a potential threat that can adversely affect our tourism, our economy, our international reputation as a country that is the conservation flagship of Africa, as well as the rule of law.”

According to Chase, “I have dedicated my life’s work to conservation in Botswana, the country of my birth, and I will continue my life and my work as a dedicated elephant conservationist, researcher and academic.”

But Botswana President Mokgweetsi Masisi insisted that he was “not going to be intimidated while wildlife kills our people”.

.........He revealed that he has offered his critics some of the elephants and “they are welcome to help us reduce their population”. ...............

Good for him.

Botswana's people, Botswana's Wildlife.

ARA's, you have the offer. Save the Elephants:
Buy some land adequate for the Elephants, pay for the capture, transport, treatment and release while insuring your Elephants don't harm anyone living next to your new private reserve in XYZ country.
Otherwise, get stuffed.

Last edited:
I think I like this new president. He’s not taking any crap from the loonies.

Three cheers for them!

It only took Botswana 5 years to figure out that they made a mistake.

Oopsie!

Fill the, boycotting Tourism void, with hunters.

It took a new political administration. Not unlike some of our problems.

It only took Botswana 5 years to figure out that they made a mistake.

Oopsie!

Fill the, boycotting Tourism void, with hunters.

Well considering that after over 40 years Kenya still hasn't figured it out and is still bowing to ARA pressure I'd say five years is pretty good .

Sometimes it takes real guts to do what's right and not what's easy.

I said to them that we will give you 200 elephants in England and just let them roam all over (just) as you want them to in Botswana,” fumed Masisi.

Can you imagine the outcry from the locals if that happened! :A Surrender:

Go Botswana.

Common sense in wildlife management....imagine that!

Source: https://southerntimesafrica.com/sit...-boycott-over-lifting-of-elephant-hunting-ban

Mpho Tebele

Gaborone - Botswana insisted this week that it would not be intimidated by conservationists from the West, who are mobilising against it following a government report that recommended that elephants should be culled.

The Cabinet sub-committee, which has been consulting the nation on whether to lift the hunting ban has proposed that it be lifted, but the southern African nation is now facing pushback from the West’s animal activists who have threatened to boycott its tourism industry.

But Botswana President Mokgweetsi Masisi is unmoved by the threats, as he dug his heels in this week insisting he “will not be intimidated”.

Following reports that Botswana intends to lift a 2014 trophy hunting ban, the social media and the international press, especially the Western media have been awash with reports that some animal activists and tourists planned to boycott Botswana’s tourism industry.

The move comes amid growing tension over the nation’s elephant population, with some arguing that the number of elephants has grown and that the animals are damaging crops.

The country is home to the world’s largest elephant population, with estimates putting the number at about 130,000 elephants.

Masisi insisted that he was “not going to be intimidated while wildlife kills our people”.

Speaking at a Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) regional congress, Masisi said: “I run a consultative government. We have a problem with human-wildlife conflict. I never said we will go all out and kill all elephants in Botswana.”

He revealed that he has offered his critics some of the elephants and “they are welcome to help us reduce their population”.

“We had to backtrack and consult about it (whether to lift hunting ban or not). Where do they get the guts to tell us how we should take care of our wildlife when they do not have anything? I was in England with minister Unity Dow where I told them that their problem was they are talking elephant issues as if there are no people. I said to them that we will give you 200 elephants in England and just let them roam all over (just) as you want them to in Botswana,” fumed Masisi.

Masisi accused the Western critics of being disrespectful and observed that there are “some of our own helping them disrespect Batswana”.

“They think we are stupid having our people terrorised by these animals in areas they are not even supposed to be. I still encourage them to come and get them and then maybe we can talk, as they would know what the animals are capable of. We can even add lions, buffalos, leopards and cheetahs,” a defiant Masisi said.

In its report, the committee recommended, among others, that the ban is lifted, the government develop a legal framework that will create an enabling environment for the growth of the safari hunting industry.

The committee proposed that Botswana manage the population of elephant within its historic range. It also recommended that the department of wildlife undertake an effective outreach programme within the elephant range to reduce human/wildlife conflict.

The committee also proposed that Botswana strategically erect human/wildlife conflict fences in a few hotspot areas and game ranches be demarcated to serve as buffers between communal and wildlife areas.

It recommended the closure of wildlife migration routes that are not beneficial to the country’s conservation efforts.

It also recommended the introduction of regular but limited elephant culling; establishment of elephant meat canning including the production of pet food and processing into other by-products from culled elephants. Masisi said a white paper will follow and would be shared with the public.

Former President Ian Khama’s administration introduced the hunting ban in 2014.

In another related matter, Botswana’s tourism ministry has questioned a new report by an organisation contracted by the government in 2018 to conduct an aerial survey of elephants in the north of the country.

The ministry's permanent secretary Thato Raphaka said the government was not happy with the report by Mike Chase from Elephants Without Borders. According to Raphaka, “It is regrettable that Dr Chase, in a report purporting to be scientific, includes an astonishing number of pictures of dead elephants, 63 pages to be precise.”

He noted that “this definitely is not standard practice in aerial survey reporting”.

Raphaka said that another interesting point is that the authors reported that the carcass ratio had progressively increased from 2% in 2010 to 7% in 2014 and 8% in 2018.

“The 2014 figure is almost four times higher than the 2010 figure but the authors did not sound the alarm at the time. Instead at the time, the authors considered Botswana an elephant safe haven. Surely greater concerns should have been expressed after the 2014 survey than now when the ratio is only slightly higher,” said Raphaka.

He, however, acknowledged that the government was “under no illusion that poaching has become a threat to Botswana with her large elephant population”.

But Chase insists that “elephant poaching in Botswana is happening on the scale I proclaim”.

He said: “By continually denying the extent of poaching, we might be undermining international support. I believe that in avoiding transparency, we could be exposed to a potential threat that can adversely affect our tourism, our economy, our international reputation as a country that is the conservation flagship of Africa, as well as the rule of law.”

According to Chase, “I have dedicated my life’s work to conservation in Botswana, the country of my birth, and I will continue my life and my work as a dedicated elephant conservationist, researcher and academic.”

If chase is such a researcher and conservationist how come the clever specimen hasn't noticed the devastation caused to the flora by the massive overpopulation of elephants in Botswana.. ..leading to the loss of species from insects up.......fkn idiot....

Email from DSC today.

CALL TO ACTION
The Chance for a New Beginning
Botswana

DSC Members,

As many of you may have heard or read, the government in Botswana is considering a substantial reform to the country’s wildlife management policy. Included in the reform is the re-opening of hunting on government lands and the re-opening of elephant hunting. The former administration ended Botswana’s long and storied history of wildlife management by adopting ill-advised policies dictated by animal rights extremists. The administration of President Mokgweetsi Masisi has drafted a proposal to reverse those devastating and counter-productive policies and return to science-based policy that protects wildlife and benefits local communities.

As is to be expected, the proposal has been met with the full fury of the Animal Rights Movement, assisted by the misinformed media outlets. The critically important reasoned voice of sportsmen and sportswomen who understand these complicated issues and the value of sustainable use wildlife policy is not being heard – until now.

You can voice your support for the new policy that returns a component of well-regulated hunting – a component that resulted in Botswana’s recognition as one of the world’s leaders in wildlife management before hunting was banned – by posting a comment on the Botswana Government’s Facebook page - BWgovernment or @BotswanaGovernment. You can leave your comment on the post addressing the proposed policy change entitled Suspension of Hunting Review OR by clicking on the “Send Message” tab on the BWgovernment homepage.

Hunting is conservation. Hunters are conservationists. President Masisi urgently needs the support of true conservationists. Use the template below or draft your own message, but either way, make your voice heard!
Dear President Masisi,

Those of us who care for wildlife and wilderness, those who understand and appreciate a wildlife management policy that recognizes and adopts sustainable use principles, and those who acknowledge that local communities can and must benefit from sound wildlife policy, proudly stand in unity with you and your government in your efforts to reform Botswana’s wildlife management policy. There are those who hide behind the mantle of the animal rights movement and who claim to care about Botswana’s wildlife, who are waging war against your proposals. Their policies, their extremism and their agenda must not be allowed to control or influence what you and your government know to be the policy that is best for Botswanans and Botswana’s wildlife.

You have the chance to return Botswana to its rightful position as a beacon for the world to follow. I salute you for your courage, your foresight and your willingness to recognize the failure of current wildlife policy.

Stand strong and the world will stand with you.
HELP THE CAUSE
Click here to contact the
Botswana Government
Send Message
Botswana Government Contact Links

FACEBOOK

WEBSITE

TWITTER

http://www.gov.bw/en/Footer/Contact-us/

Attachments

• mail.png
    mail.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 264
  • mail-2.png
    mail-2.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 237
  • mail-3.png
    mail-3.png
    2 KB · Views: 247
  • mail-4.png
    mail-4.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 259
Last edited by a moderator:
BOrJrezh.jpg

Attachments

• BOrJrezh.jpg
    BOrJrezh.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 262
Done!

Do you think the availability of money from the Chinese government has anything to do with the hardening of positions against animal rights groups? These governments now have a alternate source of financial support.

http://www.gov.bw/en/Footer/Contact-us/

You can send Emails of encouragement to the Botswana Minister of Environment at the above link. I asked that mine be passed on to the President Mokgweetsi E. K. Masisi.

I just emailed also my support. I doubt there is an anti out there that will take the genuine time to articulate there own feelings without a bunch of rhetoric laden BS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois