BOTSWANA: Excellent Plains Game Hunt With NKWE SAFARIS!

RichD

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF, DU, SCI
Hunted
Botswana
This safari to Botswana was my first to Africa and I wanted to share just a few photos and comments. Two friends of mine, Harold and Willie, hunted with @NKWE SAFARIS - Jaco Visser - in 2022. Harold has hunted in Africa16 or so times. This was Willie's first Africa safari. They purchased what was billed as a "cull hunt". Both returned from that trip 100% satisfied with every aspect of their experience. Harold called me when they returned and said Jaco was willing to offer the same package in 2023 if we could get a group together and commit quickly. So, I decide to do my first trip in 2023.

Aaron F posted a fantastic report of his trip with NKWE in 2022 and Matt Vejar posted a well-documented report of his trip in 2023. Reading their reports only served to build up my enthusiasm to the point that I was already planning plaques to mount my yet unhunted trophies of the trip!

I did not know how to set my expectations for the hunt. Yes, it was billed as a "cull hunt", but the game Harold and Willie took was well beyond what I would consider as cull. My expectation of a "cull" would be something like a deformed horn, a small undersized animal, or something no one else would want to take. Well, I was not a bit disappointed by the animals I took, or any aspect of the time spent with NKWE.

The camp is not fancy like many camps I have seen online or in the African Hunting Gazette. There is not a pool, hot stone massage at the end of the day, or concierge service to the nearest village to make macrame wall decor. This is a guy's bush hunting camp in the Kalahari Desert. And it is 100% fantastic!

Jaco is the REAL DEAL when it comes to a PH. That "som ma ma beach" knows his stuff. He's not some fly-by-night, trained and licensed in 3 weeks dude. His family has been in the Ghanzi area since the 1880's and he has an excellent relationship with the clients and every staff member. He is every bit as good of a spotter, tracker, and stalker as any hunter or guide I've known in my 55 years of hunting big game in the US. He is also pretty damn good at cooking a tenderloin over the open pit fire. He quickly develops a rapport with the clients and you are comfortable from the start. He has another PH, Quinton, working with him. Quinton is several years younger than Jaco, and is very similar to Jaco in working with clients. I had the pleasure of hunting with both of these gentlemen during our trip and I have to give kudos to each of them. They worked tirelessly to have all 3 of our hunters fill their hunt packages.

Two of us hunters also added additional game. Gary added a male steenbok to go with the female he took in a previous hunt. I added a kudu and warthog to my base package at what we all believe are very reasonable fees. We all used their rifles at no daily charge and paid a reasonable amount for the ammo used. I used a .30-06, .308 Win, and 7mm Rem Mag at different times, depending on which vehicle I was in. George took a very impressive gemsbok of something north of 39".

The trackers are in a universe of their own and I will never know how they do what they do. Tossie, Georgie, Happy, and Lago are all Kalahari bushmen and can read tracks and sign like we read a magazine - they are born to it, it is in their DNA handed down from generations of ancestors who have hunted this region. I have to admit to a very poorly placed shot on a zebra. Tossie and Georgie set off to find the critter and picked up a speck of dried blood in the sand. They tracked sign for 2 miles - a speck in the sand, 200 yards later a speck on a leaf, 300 yards later a speck on a twig. Jaco and I then joined up with them and we followed the sign with them for almost 6 more miles before catching up to their herd of 30 zebra and finishing the kill. When talking about the trackers skills, the word "magic" came up many times.

I have to put in a word about Godfrey. Godfrey is a Godsend to the camp. He is from Zimbabwe and a culinary school trained chef. He is one of the happiest individuals I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He is your "morning wake-up call" guy. Every meal he prepared was beyond what you would expect at a hunting camp. we ate the prime cuts of game, eland and kudu tails (!), and many traditional African dishes and sides. The meals are served family style, because that is how you are treated - like a family member! On the last day of our stay, Godfrey jokingly asked me if I would bring him back with me in a suitcase. I was worried that if I did, my wife would keep him instead of me.

Anyway, I hope I've covered most of the bases in just a few words. Below are pics of 4 of the animals I took. Once I figure out how to get pics of the gemsbok, wildebeest, and warthog from my phone to the PC, I will add those. If you have any questions or need some additional information, please let me know and I will do my best to provide an answer. The only thing to add is that Jaco is in the process of putting a new camp together on the north border of the Kalahari Game reserve which will be unfenced to the reserve. He hopes to have it open next year with more amenities (maybe even a hot stone massage and macrame classes). That should be one hell of a place to hunt and if I get the opportunity to return for an African safari I know where my go-to place will be!

100_0049.JPG
100_0082.JPG
100_0088.JPG
100_0095.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report. Certainly some nice animals. Botswana is on my radar as a place to go hunt. Congrats
Bruce

I would hunt cull eland all trip. So an awesome tracking hunt. Great animals and thanks for the report.

Wow. Wonderful story - thanks for a very pleasant read.

Thanks for sharing! Impossible to describe the skill of those San trackers isn’t it! If I had only one trip or hunt left in me it would be following one of those trackers across that sand pursuing eland, oryx, hartebeest, kudu… or whatever. The species would not matter. :)

Last edited:
Thank You for sharing with us. Sounds like to had a fantastic time. All your trophy's are great

Just a couple more comments to add. Don't bring too many clothes. There are 2 wonderful housekeepers who come to your accommodations every day and make the beds and do laundry. Just leave your dirty clothes on the floor and it is returned later that day to you all cleaned. These ladies also make some wonderful jewelry from ostrich egg shells at very reasonable prices and it helps to supplement their income. I bought a bracelet for my grown daughter and she absolutely loves it.

We flew Delta from Denver to Atlanta to Johannesburg. Long flights are the worst part of the excursion. We spent one night at the City Lodge hotel which is located right at the airport. Very nice hotel, about $100US, with a great breakfast buffet in the morning. SAairlink to Maun, Botswana, then a 3 hour drive south to Ghanzi with Jaco at the wheel. Camp is several miles east of Ghanzi.

I work at a Cabela's store, so at times I'm a walking billboard for our products. But, more importantly, I am also a 100% honest reviewer of our store brands. My pants were Cabela's Stanley rip-stop material, Redhead shirts, Redhead boots, Ascend socks, Cabela's instinct undershirts - you name it, I wore it and it all held up and worked well. The only non-Cabela's thing I had was a pair of Leica Noctivid 10x42 binos which were loaned to me by a friend who is a Leica rep. The quality of the glass is top notch.

Thank you to the members who posted comments to my thread - I really appreciate them. NKWE really was a great experience and I recommend them for your Botswana hunt.

Thanks for the writeup and pictures, well done.

Congratulations on such a successful hunt. Not too shabby for a “cull” hunt. I would be happy with any of those. Sounds like you got in on one heck of a trip. That is awesome. Thanks for sharing such a good story.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on your first safari. Your smile says more than words ever can. The tracker as just fantastic to watch do their work. If the tracker told me that the buffalo went up the tree and jumped to the ledge my only question would be are you going up and over first or am I.

Congrats on your hunt, and thanks for sharing !

Great read, myself and some friends are considering Jaco and NKWE for our next trip over. Glad to here a report this good.

Thank you Rich

Great read of your hunt. I hope sime day to visit Botswana myself.

What designated this as a 'cull' hunt?

Looks like a great safari. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!

Great read of your hunt. I hope sime day to visit Botswana myself.

What designated this as a 'cull' hunt?
I was looking at either a trip to the east Cape of South Africa or Botswana. I talked with a friend who is from Zambia and whose family are PH's in South Africa and Zambia. He advised that the Botswana hunt would be a more "authentic" African hunt. As I said in my first post, this was my first trip and I was completely satisfied with the entire experience.

As far as what constitutes a "cull" hunt, I would have you ask that question of Jaco Visser of NKWE Safaris. If you read the report from Matt Vejar, he hunted on another property which was located west of Ghanzi (we were east of Ghanzi) and the kudu he took were quite a bit larger than mine. I was not looking for a full-on trophy hunt, but something reasonably priced so as to get my feet wet. If things go well, I would like to do another hunt in '24 or '25 hopefully at his new property and set higher goals.

One of the hunts I was looking at in east Cape was a 2 hunter package with 26 or so animals, 14 of which were springboks, primarily for the PH to sell to a local market. While that sounded like a nice package, and a friend of mine is going to hunt with that PH this August, I chose to join my other hunting friend in Botswana.

I honestly think Jaco will not disappoint you. He and his crew will do their absolute 100% best to ensure your trip exceeds your expectations. If I could avoid the long plane rides and "molecularly transport" to Botswana (Beam me up, Jaco!) I'd be there several times a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.