Booked 3rd African Hunt May 2022- Questions on My Mind?

Justbryan

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,
The questions I have now since I have booked an African Hunt for May 2022:
1. Will there be any new pandemics in 2022? (I have had 2 hunts canceled do to Covid-19 in New Zealand & Idaho)
2. Where to hunt? (My guide hunts Limpopo in South Africa, hunted 2 times but also Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe)
3. What to hunt? Dangerous Game (hunted Buffalo maybe Hippo or Crock), Tiny Ten (hunted Red Duiker & Steenbok), Plains Game (hunted most major plains game but want a Roan and Lechwe), or Night Critters (hunted Bushpig but l want to hunt hyena, cats, badger, etc.)
4. What new rifle to build? (last hunt was 375H&H and 300WSM) (404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby, 22-250 night critters, etc.)
5. Where to take my wife sightseeing? (seen Kruger but thinking about Cape, Victoria Falls, or any must see places)
6. What is my budget? ($15,000 first hunt, $25,000 for last hunt and thinking about the same for this trip, is Mozambique and Zambia too expensive for my budget)
7. How do I tell my wife I booked the hunt? (Christmas surprise, anniversary gift, birthday present, or keep it a secret)

These all could be seperate threads but going to enjoy to process.

Going with Limpopo Big Game Safaris and Bossie Mostert for the 3rd time. Looking forward to seeing his new camp, Ronel and DJ.

I still consider myself a novelist hunter/marksman and am always looking to learn from the professionals!

Will there be any more interruptions? Where would you hunt? What would you hunt? What rifle would you choose? What would you see in Africa? How much would you budget? How would you tell your wife?

Zimbabwe
Mixed bag, take what comes, relax, enjoy.
Victoria Falls, a private game losge, not huge hotel. Try Vic Falls River Lodge.
Fly to Johannesburg, catch Rovos Rail to Vic Falls, fly back.
Tell wife up front, plan together.

$25k budget, no scrimping, elephant rides, etc
30-06

Zimbabwe or Zambia! Definitely DG- either elephant, buff, and maybe croc or hippo and various pg!

For 25K you can get a lot of value in Zimbabwe. I would steer away from Moz for the time being.

Zimbabwe
Mixed bag, take what comes, relax, enjoy.
Victoria Falls, a private game losge, not huge hotel. Try Vic Falls River Lodge.
Fly to Johannesburg, catch Rovos Rail to Vic Falls, fly back.
Tell wife up front, plan together.
Love the idea of the train. I did not know that was a possibility.

Yes, I told her last night. I will also look into the Vic Falls River Lodge.

Zimbabwe or Zambia! Definitely DG- either elephant, buff, and maybe croc or hippo and various pg!

For 25K you can get a lot of value in Zimbabwe. I would steer away from Moz for the time being.
I have done the elephant ride (maybe a cape buffalo ride) but Crock and Hippo hunt are definitely a possibility. I am seriously considering Zimbabwe and a Save Valley Hunt. Getting in this early I might be able to secure a spot before the quotes are gone. I will have to check with my guide.

Since you are going to hunt with Bossie, I believe he is the best qualified to to advise you.

Congrats on getting it booked!

Zambia for sure, Croc, chobe bushbuck, puku, hippo, sable and kafue lechwe. Then Victoria falls, tiger fish fishing and sunset cruise on the Zambezi.

$25k budget, no scrimping, elephant rides, etc
30-06
I have done the elephant ride (maybe a cape buffalo ride) but Crock and Hippo hunt are definitely a possibility. I am seriously considering Zimbabwe and a Save Valley Hunt. Getting in this early I might be able to secure a spot before the quotes are gone. I will have to check with my guide.
Save is a good destination, I hunted my buffalo there and this year our group is returning to get a buffalo bull for my friend. I will take a bush pig if possible and also a brace of francolin. We will use the hindquarter of the hog to make the Christmas ham, and the francolin smoked breasts make a great starter, tradition. The rains will have started in December, otherwise we would be under canvas in a retro camp, but at least we will travel down in the two Series 1 Land Rovers.

Zambia for sure, Croc, chobe bushbuck, puku, hippo, sable and kafue lechwe. Then Victoria falls, tiger fish fishing and sunset cruise on the Zambezi.
If I didn't shot a black lechwe or sitatunga then I can probably swing Zambia. Bushbuck is my favorite hunt. Love to shoot a Chobe. My wife wants to do the Zambezi cruise. Thanks.

I think you should have decided on an area to hunt and primary species first, then selected an outfitter. Just because an outfitter has hunted before or has access doesn’t mean he is the best or most familiar with hunting there. Since you made your choice of outfitter first, I think you should stick to his primary hunting areas and make your decision based on that. Hunting kudu in rut is a great hunt. Hunting eland is a great hunt.

Well except that you have left everything open to every eventuality.... I would say the Zambezi valley is your spot (not just because it is my favourite place). Either Zim or Zam side will meet your needs. You can spend time at Lake Kariba and enjoy all the game coming right through your hotel site on the way to drink daily, this includes jumbo, buffalo, and the rest.

The valley has everything you could want to hunt. If you choose Zambia side then it's a short hop (about 5 hours) from there to the Kafue flats for your swamp species (Lechwe etc) and from there you can spend time at Vic Falls. If your wife wants sight seeing then Kariba and the falls can't be beaten.

As for rifles... like everyone says, .375 for everything but if you want to bring more than one rifle then bring a .40 cal and .30 cal of your choice... within reason they all kill deader than dead. The area is not open plains so you don't need a long shooter, ranges in the region of 100m - 300m at the most.

As for covid etc, we seem to have some resistance due to immunisations we all had as kids. So our "second wave" should not be as severe. But like all things depends on what the local government want to use the crisis for.....(I'll step away from that topic for now!!)

Both Zim and Zam are absolutely stunning countries with much to see, and yes I am bias, but Ithink you could do worse than either.

As for telling your wife you have booked another hunt.... just say you are taking her to Kariba / Vic Falls and that you have some activities planned that you will enjoy and you hope she will too...

Ge her to leap off the bridge, with bungee ropes attached of course. Crazy Scary thing to do, but she'll have the best story at the parlour for years.

The questions I have now since I have booked an African Hunt for May 2022:
1. Will there be any new pandemics in 2022? (I have had 2 hunts canceled do to Covid-19 in New Zealand & Idaho)
2. Where to hunt? (My guide hunts Limpopo in South Africa, hunted 2 times but also Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe)
3. What to hunt? Dangerous Game (hunted Buffalo maybe Hippo or Crock), Tiny Ten (hunted Red Duiker & Steenbok), Plains Game (hunted most major plains game but want a Roan and Lechwe), or Night Critters (hunted Bushpig but l want to hunt hyena, cats, badger, etc.)
4. What new rifle to build? (last hunt was 375H&H and 300WSM) (404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby, 22-250 night critters, etc.)
5. Where to take my wife sightseeing? (seen Kruger but thinking about Cape, Victoria Falls, or any must see places)
6. What is my budget? ($15,000 first hunt, $25,000 for last hunt and thinking about the same for this trip, is Mozambique and Zambia too expensive for my budget)
7. How do I tell my wife I booked the hunt? (Christmas surprise, anniversary gift, birthday present, or keep it a secret)

These all could be seperate threads but going to enjoy to process.

Going with Limpopo Big Game Safaris and Bossie Mostert for the 3rd time. Looking forward to seeing his new camp, Ronel and DJ.

I still consider myself a novelist hunter/marksman and am always looking to learn from the professionals!

Will there be any more interruptions? Where would you hunt? What would you hunt? What rifle would you choose? What would you see in Africa? How much would you budget? How would you tell your wife?
I guess I am confused. You booked a hunt but you don’t know where or what you are hunting? Why would you just book with a guy and then say a year later: take me to........
I would have advised you to made a decision on whether it would be a buffalo hunt, PG hunt , or specialized predator and small game hunt. I would certainly have advised to decide what country you would be hunting.
Yes I would suggest hippo and croc as a natural next hunt for you then off to try for hyena and small game.
I would likely just take a .375.
Sightseeing just cuts into the hunting budget but if you must maybe do Cape Town on the way home. (Delta flight departs from CPT now) sorry guys but when I go to Africa whether my wife goes or not I am focused on hunting or visiting friends on farms and not spending much time in touristy places. Again if you planned to hunt Zim then a day at Vic Falls would be in order but you’ve not decided where to go yet.
Best of luck planning your next safari.
Regards,
Philip

I have been in 57 countries mostly to experience the culture and people. Bossie in Limpopo, 3 years ago, was my first hunt not in North America. My second was in New Zealand. I am hunting New Zealand again in 2021 then going to South Africa in 2022.

You and I do things differently. Both hunting and friends are important to me. It might add a little extra cost but I am willing to pay for these experiences. I will be in Africa for 3 weeks with 10 days of hunting.

Bossie and DJ have become like family to me and my wife. So, I have hunted with him two times before and look forward to our time together. He took us on a 3 day trip through Kruger on one trip. He regularly hunts these areas so we secured the dates I want and now I am dreaming about the possibilities.

For me it is more than a hunt and my non-hunter wife enjoys going just as much as I do.

I will tell him a year or more in advance where we are going and what I want to hunt. He offers all these hunts. So I secured the date 1-1/2 year in advance and then I will decide where and what. I was asking for AH to help me dream of the possibilities within my budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg