Blaser ideal Africa 2 barrel set

I
This June we brought two R8’s with .375, 9.3x62 and .270 Win barrels in one small case. I also brought a left handed bolt for my sister.

I hunted Dik Dik and Cape Buffalo with the .375. The 9.3 was for my daughter to hunt hippo.

I own and use the .22LR barrel regularly for shooting practice and small game hunting. It is a great advantage to be able to get a variety of calibers, but I’d recommend having a bigger caliber for Africa. Invariably, while hunting Dukier, you will see a nice animal in a much bigger species.

Note: I brought the two stocks and 3 barrels in my case under my name. The case was about 44 lbs. The scopes went in my carry on. So… you could go 3 barrels, but you might never use the others after you get on a roll with the .375.
I like the idea of a .22 LR barrel for inexpensive practice and small game at home. Thanks

I’ve used a Lexus with 375 & 300 RUM barrels and a Heym 470 NE double in a 1615 pelican case in the past worked well, 180 & 200 Aframes will work despite all Blazer 30cal barrels are 11” twist!
I’ve gone back to a pair of Dakotas in 300 WM & 375 with a double this year and I’m much more comfortable with them. Next year a Dakota traveler in 375 & 458 Lott with a Double, just can’t make myself love the Blazer just too non conventional

I’ve used a Lexus with 375 & 300 RUM barrels and a Heym 470 NE double in a 1615 pelican case in the past worked well, 180 & 200 Aframes will work despite all Blazer 30cal barrels are 11” twist!
I’ve gone back to a pair of Dakotas in 300 WM & 375 with a double this year and I’m much more comfortable with them. Next year a Dakota traveler in 375 & 458 Lott with a Double, just can’t make myself love the Blazer just too non conventional
I get the "non conventional" aspect with the bolt operation. I've yet to even hold one, much less work the action. I've just watched all the videos and they look smooth as butter in the right hands. To placate my traditional taste, I'd go with a wood stock, not the thumbhole, monte carlo cheekpiece. The compact breakdown to fit a small case, and the interchangeability of caliber make me think hard about reducing my gun safe inventory and consolidating to this platform as I approach three score and ten.

Last edited:
I was told that all barrels fit all actions, the only difference is that the standard R8 is alloy and the Safari R8 is steel, so heavier

The determining factor is the barrel diameter. They come in 17, 19, and 22 mm. The safari grade stocks will fit all barrel sizes whereas the conventional stock typically caps out on the 19 mm barrel diameter.

I personally travel with the 300 Win Mag and 458 Lott combo. This affords me the ability to use the magnum bolt head and same magazine insert configuration without needless parts changing.

HH

I have two Blasers which I hunt with. A K95 single shot with 6 barrels and the R8 with 4. I don’t see a problem with changing the bolt face when swapping barrels. It takes less then a minute and you don’t need any tools. I also opened the barrel channel up to take the 19 mm barrel, which leaves just over a mm gap with the 17 mm barrel. Who cares, both barrel profiles work brilliantly. Years ago I had a similar system in a Mauser 66 rifle actually I had two again, but the Blaser is a much better outfit, you would go wrong with one.
Ken

According to Blaser R8 caliber chart, if you choose a Safari rifle, you cant choose 30-06 or 300WSM. But is it realy true?
The channel on the forend of the stock needs to be able to fit the largest barrel profile you wish to shoot. The largest is 22mm, also called the Selous or Safari barrel profile. If your stock is channeled out for this, you can use any of the 19mm (semi-weight) or 17mm (standard) barrels as well. The only downside to this is that the gap looks really big with a 22mm channel and 17mm barrel. If you only go one size between them (standard barrel/semi-weight channel or semi-weight barrel/safari channel) the gap is just fine.

Any of the bolt heads can be changed out (takes less than a minute) to switch between caliber groups so you can have use of the full range of cartridges.

As for the OP's question of what to get for Africa, my recommendation would be a 375H&H in standard barrel (with sights) with an aluminum receiver and low power scope like a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24. Use premium softs like the Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Norma Oryx or Federal TBBC for everything except elephant and the T10. For those use solids like the Woodliegh Hydro. One caliber, two bullets and go hunting.

If you want to add other calibers at a later time it would be easiest to stay in the same "MA" cartridge family. 300WM and 257WBY would be good choices and will cover all manner of game from coyote to elk. Your 375 can do the heavy lifting in NA for game like brown bear and moose.

Last edited:
According to Blaser R8 caliber chart, if you choose a Safari rifle, you cant choose 30-06 or 300WSM. But is it realy true?
Nope. Nearly all Blaser dealers will sell whatever barrel you want with a new purchase. And there is no need to waste money on a Safari model (only difference is a steel vs alloy receiver).

Still confused; my PH recommends the .416 for Buffalo in the Caprivi. The Blaser configurator indicates the .416 Rem. is only available in the Safari models. And no .416 Rigby available. Just looking at the Rigby since it is so classic...If I have to jump up to the Safari grade to get the .416, can I still get a .22LR barrel? Seems so, but lots of space in the bedding? Is that an issue?

Nope. Nearly all Blaser dealers will sell whatever barrel you want with a new purchase. And there is no need to waste money on a Safari model (only difference is a steel vs alloy receiver).
Waste money on the Safari model? Or spend money for a dream and probably last gun purchase? Is the Safari model worth the increased price for an heirloom gun set to get the .416? Would the .22LR or .223 barrel look "goofy" on it?

Still confused; my PH recommends the .416 for Buffalo in the Caprivi. The Blaser configurator indicates the .416 Rem. is only available in the Safari models. And no .416 Rigby available. Just looking at the Rigby since it is so classic...If I have to jump up to the Safari grade to get the .416, can I still get a .22LR barrel? Seems so, but lots of space in the bedding? Is that an issue?
From what I understand, you could buy the 416 barrel and put it on a standard R8 if the channel is opened up or get a custom barrel, which seem to be a similar price, just with a long wait time. You could get a .404 barrel in a semi weight profile.

Waste money on the Safari model? Or spend money for a dream and probably last gun purchase? Is the Safari model worth the increased price for an heirloom gun set to get the .416? Would the .22LR or .223 barrel look "goofy" on it?
Any barrel will fit on any steel or aluminum receiver. The channel in the stock just needs to be large enough to accommodate the 22mm Selous (Safari) barrels. Yes, even the 22lr kit will fit.

If you haven’t owned a mid or big bore rifle, I’d highly recommend a 375H&H in the standard (17mm) profile and then add a kickstop to the stock for some additional weight. Once you become more confident with it, the kickstop can be removed. This will leave you with a very reasonable 9 lb rifle that is easy to shoot and legal for all DG.

You are correct that the 416RIGBY isn’t available in the R8 for a traditional African rifle. Although the R8 is hardly a “traditional” rifle anyway. If you do decide to get a 416RM barrel, I seriously doubt the animal will be able to tell the difference between it and the 416RIGBY.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

There is no issue putting a 416 barrel on a standard Blaser

Opening up the channel to accept a 22mm barrel takes 5 minutes

No problem with swapping any calibre from .22LR to 500 Jeff with any of them as far as I’m aware

J

I have a pro success with

.22LR
.223 win
6.5 x 55
9.3 x 62
404 Jeff

Some are 17mm barrels and some are 22mm barrels

From what I understand, you could buy the 416 barrel and put it on a standard R8 if the channel is opened up or get a custom barrel, which seem to be a similar price, just with a long wait time. You could get a .404 barrel in a semi weight profile.
Personally I would not worry to much on what the PH recommends. There’s been far more buff shot with the 375 or 9.3 x 62 for that matter than any 416, and they are far more versatile. A bigger caliber is no substitute for shot placement.

Personally I would not worry to much on what the PH recommends. There’s been far more buff shot with the 375 or 9.3 x 62 for that matter than any 416, and they are far more versatile. A bigger caliber is no substitute for shot placement.
My rule is if you can't make a good second shot under pressure, don't take it. Practice in real world situations until you can.

Lots of good options have already been discussed. You have to ask yourself how much you’re going to be shooting this large bore versus a regular caliber.
Personally, I would get a Standard R8 and have a custom barrel made in 19mm configuration as long as time allows(last time it took 6 months).
Another option is to purchase an additional forearm made for the 22mm barrel. Takes a minute to switch out if you go that route.

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.