Bigger caliber

Raptor

Reaction score
Hi , I hunt with a 303 , this is the only rifle I own . I want something bigger for Eland and Blue wildebeest , I was thingking off getting a 9,3 x 62 as most off my hunting is done at close range . Any suggestions ?

The 9.3 x 62 is a suberp caliber if I didnt have a 375 H&H I would have one. The two downsides of the 9.3 is that in a lot of places its falls just short of the minimum caliber for dangerous game hunts and if you ever will be shooting over 200 meters at regular intervals. But like you said you wanted it for bushveldt conditions on large plainsgame.

:thumb:

Thanks . Do you have any experience with this rifle as I want to gather as much information on the 9,3 as possible . What would the preferred load be .

The 286gr bullet will have about the same speed as your 303 little meat damage and I have had a client shoot croc and hippo with one. I also know of a ph who has shot a couple of elephant with it too.

Recoil is mild depending on stock and using the heavier bullets usually drops the game on the spot.

It looks like the caliber I am looking for , I had a look and Rhino bullets makes bullets from 235gr to 300gr . A pretty good selection for the aplication I want it for . Now for getting a license . . . . .

I have shot a lot of game with the 9.3x62 and a few head with the 9.3x64..I prefer the 9.3x62 with a 26 inch barrel as I get that needed extra velocity with the 300 gr. Swift and the 320 gr. Woodligh with a big dose of RL-15 powder..I get an easy 2400 with the 320 gr Woodleigh, that is 100 FPS slower than my 300 gr. hunting load for my 375 H&H, but its also 20 grs more bullet so thats a push I guess......

My 9.3x62 holds two more rounds than my .375 H&H; it weighs 9 lbs scoped and about 8.5 plus with irons..It is a Brno Mod 21 (not original) but you couldn't tell by looking...It is easy and ultra handy to carry, points like a Boss 20 ga. shotgun..

I have killed much plainsgame, Cape Buffalo, Bison, deer, elk as best I recall and it is a real hum dinger..Better than my .375, probably not, but whos counting, and with equal shot placement seems to do just as well....

I would say that you have made an excellent choice for an all around big game rifle and I would not hesitate to hunt elephant with it with a GS Customs flat point solid...

Raptor:

In my humble opinion, too many visiting hunters are overgunned when they go after Africa's so-called plains game.

The .338s, 9.3s, .375s, .416s, and up are fine calibers but are not needed for any antelope on that continent, including wildebeest and the largest elands.

Bullet placement is more important than anything, and there are only a very few hunters who can shoot the larger calibers as well as they can rifles of .30 caliber or smaller.

My personal favorite for African antelope is the 7 mm Remington Magnum with 175 grain Nosler Partition bullets, but your .303 British and the .30-06 are just about ideal for everything except large, dangerous game.

Bill Quimby

Thanks for the info , I am going to build one on a RSA action , Thor 25" barrel , classic stock made out off American black walnut with exspress sights with a Leupold 3-9x42 scope . This will be my preferred hunting rifle and backup when I hunt with the 303 .

The extra rounds in the mag are a bonus for those unforseen events . My hunting does not include the big five but from what I have heard I would not hesitate to use it on buffalo . Thanks for all the info .

The 303 is a fine calibre and can down everything this side off the big five but I am looking for something with more power to put the bigger animals down quicker . I have found it in the 9,3x62 , it has done so for the last hundred years an will contineu to do so with no fuss .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross