Big Bore Addiction Group

Help...I have 300H&H,338 Win Mag, 9.3x62, 35 Whelen,3.75 H&H, 404 Jeffery, 416 Rem. Mag and 505 Gibbs. I sold my 416 Rigby.

sounds like your ready for a 585 HE or a 577 NE

-matt

(once he figured out how important it is to seriously pull the stock tight into the pocket of the shoulder, not let it sert out on the edge of the bone

Yeah, I am used to not pulling the stock in tight against the pocket of my shoulder. For accuracy I usually have the stock barely against my shoulder at all. That is how I started shooting the 375's and the Rigby. That beat me up pretty good for sure. Once we moved onto the the 404, 416 REM, Lotts and Gibbs I was hurting pretty bad. I am still feeling it! Lesson learned. When shooting big bores pull the damn gun in and hang on!

And he really is a terrific shot!

Thanks! You proved that you are not too bad of a shot either.

i wish i could have joined you guys! i love shooting large bore guns and will take every chance i get to shoot them. ive flown up to AK twice this year to shoot with @cal pappas, @AkMike, and @Velo Dog. at home ive been burning threw 15-20 505 Gibbs cartridges every Sunday for the last few months. i have actually burned threw over 3 pounds of powder in the last two months! :eek:

on the note of powder, the one real downside to the 505 Gibbs is that it will use 130-150 grains of powder per shot (depending on type of powder). at 140gr a shot you will burn threw a pound in 50 shots.

if any one in this thread is looking to shoot some large bore guns and is passing through WA, feel free to hit me up. give me a heads up at least a week in advance and ill roll up some cartridges in what ever manner you wish (mild recoil up to heavy recoil). im always happy to have company, especially a fellow big bore fan.

-matt

I must say that I am very thankful that @ActionBob took the time to allow me to shoot some of his big bores. I was uncertain which gun/caliber combo to buy. I thought maybe a 375 H&H or 404 but I was not sure which make to get. What I learned is, not only how to shoot them, but that I want a 40+ cal. After all a 375 is not a big bore and I want one.
Again a huge thank you to Bob for the range day. I have learned that many on this forum help each other out whenever possible.

Dave I'm already looking forward to doing it again. I'm trying to think about what optics I want to mount on which guns and which ones to leave topless.... Maybe if there is interest we can have a group thing someday like the AK guys do? Might even have to try and lure Matt out here... Better heal up that shoulder first though :eek:

Help...I have 300H&H,338 Win Mag, 9.3x62, 35 Whelen,3.75 H&H, 404 Jeffery, 416 Rem. Mag and 505 Gibbs. I sold my 416 Rigby.

I hope you know that getting rid of a .416 Rigby is a sure sign of insanity!

What I learned is, not only how to shoot them, but that I want a 40+ cal. After all a 375 is not a big bore and I want one.

if you want to get technical, true "large bore" cartridges start at .458". this means both the 416 and the 404 are still medium bores. (I use the 416 RM as a medium bore PG cartridge)

however, given modern powders and modern bullets some calibers smaller then .458" are easily suitable for DG. I believe the .416" and .423" should count as large bores by modern standards (many will disagree with me though). the .375" is and has always been a medium bore but this forum considers it to be a large bore so I don't whine when people post about it.

in the end I would recommend you pick a cartridge that will suite your needs and tastes. a 45+ caliber cartridge will make a powerful close range stopping cartridge but will be limited when it comes to PG. the 40-42 calibers will make reliable DG cartridges that will also suit you well for PG.

I look forward to hear what rifle/cartridge you end up deciding on!

-matt

the .375" is and has always been a medium bore but this forum considers it to be a large bore so I don't whine when people post about it.

Matt doesn't whine, he just sits in front of his computer and :E Pissed::E Excited::A Blowup:

BUT, he allows the .375 because he knows it is the way he can lure the innocent to the dark side of the bore.... :E Frightened::A Samurai::A Voodoo::A Skull::K Whipping::P Devil:

BUT, he allows the .375 because he knows it is the way he can lure the innocent to the dark side of the bore.... :E Frightened::A Samurai::A Voodoo::A Skull::K Whipping::P Devil:

false accusations! :A Deal::P Devil:

-matt

I was able to slow the video down and get a still image of two more fire balls from the 505. With fireballs like this in the middle of the afternoon, I would like to shoot this guy at dusk!

IMG_2768.jpg
IMG_2772.PNG

if you want to get technical, true "large bore" cartridges start at .458"

Well shoot, maybe I need to feed this new addiction and start with at least a .458!

Well shoot, maybe I need to feed this new addiction and start with at least a .458!

the 458 Lott is a very good place to start!

-matt

I guess that 505 wouldn't make a good sniper rifle. That fireball would really give away your position!

its just that powder/bullet combo that seems to create a big fireball, my other loads don't produce it. however, as long as the speed is right and the accuracy is decent i dont see that fireball as an issue. the bullet has already hot the target by the time you see the fire.

-matt

First post. I'm reading through this entire thread...currently on page 21 of the 73.

I'm working my way up in caliber...my story:
I really got into 358 winchesters and shooting cast boolits. I have 3 358s currently (Stainless and blued rugers and a really nice Flaig custom 1903 that I had JES rebore to 358). The next step up was to the 375 ruger, a caliber that I'm having a lot of fun with. I then got a CZ550 American in 9.3x62mm after drooling over that caliber for a long time. The Wheelen just didn't do it for me and couldn't throw the heavies like the 9.3 could. I also just got my second CZ in 9.3x62 (this one with the mannlicher stock). There were a couple 45-70s along the way (Pedersoli Sharps and a Marlin lever gun). So I've been hovering at the tipping point to becoming an addict. I've read most all of Capstick's and Corbett's books, one of each from Taylor and Ruark (working on the rest of their works), Roosevelt's Safari book, and the Man Eaters of Tsavo. I can't get enough of it. I've studied all of the big calibers. I've really been thinking about getting a 300 RUM and re-barreling it to the beautiful 404 Jeff. I would absolutely love to go on an African planes game hunt one day. I really want a nice Kudu bull, and a gemsbok, and a sable, and a wildebeast, and a ..... I'm starting to get the shakes.

I am trying to figure out what the next big step is...but I seem to be stuck. The 375 Ruger will throw a 350gr bulled (SD=.356) 2550fps+. I keep comparing all things to it and I think it's about all I would ever really "need". The next thing has to have some history behind it. I'd love a double rifle (in 470 of course), but I don't have the funds. A 416 Rigby might be the ticket...I'd have to buy powder in 8lb jugs to feed that beast. I keep circling back to that Jeff...make something beautiful of my own. I just don't know. I'm almost there fellas. I technically only have one big bore (375 Ruger)...I'm on the fence and I'm coming over!

Last edited:
I guess that 505 wouldn't make a good sniper rifle. That fireball would really give away your position!
Too much bullet drop...but if you were able you could 'neek up on him and club him to death.

First post. I'm reading through this entire thread...currently on page 21 of the 73.

I'm working my way up in caliber...my story:
I really got into 358 winchesters and shooting cast boolits. I have 3 358s currently (Stainless and blued rugers and a really nice Flaig custom 1903 that I had JES rebore to 358). The next step up was to the 375 ruger, a caliber that I'm having a lot of fun with. I then got a CZ550 American in 9.3x62mm after drooling over that caliber for a long time. The Wheelen just didn't do it for me and couldn't throw the heavies like the 9.3 could. I also just got my second CZ in 9.3x62 (this one with the mannlicher stock). There were a couple 45-70s along the way (Pedersoli Sharps and a Marlin lever gun). So I've been hovering at the tipping point to becoming an addict. I've read most all of Capstick's and Corbett's books, one of each from Taylor and Ruark (working on the rest of their works), Roosevelt's Safari book, and the Man Eaters of Tsavo. I can't get enough of it. I've studied all of the big calibers. I've really been thinking about getting a 300 RUM and re-barreling it to the beautiful 404 Jeff. I would absolutely love to go on an African planes game hunt one day. I really want a nice Kudu bull, and a gemsbok, and a sable, and a wildebeast, and a ..... I'm starting to get the shakes.

I am trying to figure out what the next big step is...but I seem to be stuck. The 375 Ruger will throw a 350gr bulled (SD=.356) 2550fps+. I keep comparing all things to it and I think it's about all I would ever really "need". The next thing has to have some history behind it. I'd love a double rifle (in 470 of course), but I don't have the funds. A 416 Rigby might be the ticket...I'd have to buy powder in 8lb jugs to feed that beast. I keep circling back to that Jeff...make something beautiful of my own. I just don't know. I'm almost there fellas. I technically only have one big bore (375 Ruger)...I'm on the fence and I'm coming over!
If your going to do a 404 conversion my tendency would be to go with a Win M70 375H&H to 404. Not much 'smith work' involved.

It is my understanding that there is more work required to go from 375 to 404 as the bolt face has to be enlarged. With the 300 RUM to 404 the bolt is fine as-is, and the feed ramps should be fine as well, along with the magazine set up to hold the same size cartridge...just a new barrel is needed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

welcome @youngda9!

the .375" cartridges are versatile but hardly the "end all" caliber. i see .375" as a "jack of all trades" caliber in that its capable of doing every thing decently but its not really great at any thing. for PG the 375 hits like a hammer but has a limited range. for large and dangerous game the 375 hits just hard enough to be passable but isnt as effective as the 458+ calibers.

a 404 Jeffery is an option but to be honest if you plan to keep your 375 Ruger then you dont really "need" it. a good next step would be something in the .458" caliber. i always recommend the 458 Lott but there are many options available. the 458 Lott can easily be loaded up or down depending on your ability to deal with recoil (2050fps-2300fps with a 500gr bullet). if youve never shot anyting bigger then a 375 then i recommend starting on the lower end with the 458 Lott.

-matt

It is my understanding that there is more work required to go from 375 to 404 as the bolt face has to be enlarged. With the 300 RUM to 404 the bolt is fine as-is, and the feed ramps should be fine as well, along with the magazine set up to hold the same size cartridge...just a new barrel is needed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

@youngda9 The 300 RUM has a rebated rim and the rim diameter is 0.534", about the same as a 375H&H 0.532" The 404jeff has a rim diameter of 0.543"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross