Best trimmer... LE Wilson Micro trimmer?

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
Looking for a really capable trimmer. Ive used a couple with collet grips and they inevitably disappoint. I load for .22-250 to 404 Jeffery and would prefer ONE trimmer for all that can produce proper length and absolutely square trims. Looking at the L.L. Wilson. Any other candidates?

Thanks,

Mike

Love my Giraud. Trims and deburrs inside and outside in one step.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.46.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.46.59 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.47.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.47.00 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.47.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.47.02 AM.png
    603.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.47.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.47.03 AM.png
    593.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.47.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.47.04 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
Or nose hair?? :LOL:

I’ve always liked Wilson products. I would imagine it is high quality and precise, though I haven’t used that specific product so my opinion isn’t that valuable. I would be intrigued by a power trimmer if it could maintain precision.

Looking for a really capable trimmer. Ive used a couple with collet grips and they inevitably disappoint. I load for .22-250 to 404 Jeffery and would prefer ONE trimmer for all that can produce proper length and absolutely square trims. Looking at the L.L. Wilson. Any other candidates?

Thanks,

Mike
This one is a fine choice. It's simple and well made. I used the Lee one before and the L.L. Wilson is much better.

Thanks for your advice, all. I ordered the L.E. Wilson micrometer trimmer with stand along with the fitting for 7 different cartridges. A bit pricey, but if it does quality work and saves me some bad results, then worth the money.

Once you get some brass through it, post up your thoughts here. I’d like to know what you think.

Once you get some brass through it, post up your thoughts here. I’d like to know what you think.
I will post here. loading .404J now and .375 H&H coming up.

I am using Lyman case trimmer which I found in a dumpster, (I also found a Dillon 550 press)I replaced the broken part for $14, and have use it quite a bit. I like it a lot more than my old RCBS trimmer.

I just received the L E Wilson trimmer with micrometer. Very well made and seems to be a precise tool. Soon as I have a chance to use it I'll post here. The only downside is that it uses a barrel-like sleeve to hold the cartridge during trimming, which is very precise, but requires a different sleeve for each cartridge family, so a bit more bother than a collet type shell holder. I ordered five sleeves to accommodate the various rounds that I use (.22-250 through .375 H&H). The .404 Jeffery sleeve is a special order part and I sent off a blank cartridge for them to make the custom sleeve.

I think this will solve my issues with precise COAL and getting perfectly true and consistent neck trims.

Been using the Wilson Micrometer Trimmer and it is very simple to set up and use. It is also very consistent, yielding nice square trims and very fine adjustability of trim lengths. So far it has proven no more trouble (and is a bit faster) than a collet-type trimmer and pilots. Pricey, but I think it's worth a bit extra.

And I thought "fingernail trimmer".
Sometimes the English language makes it hard to communicate the most simple things.

And I thought "fingernail trimmer".
Sometimes the English language makes it hard to communicate the most simple things.
Other languages suffer the same problem... but actually, the languages are usually adequate... sometimes we must simply organize our thoughts into some intelligible form to be communicating clearly.

Yeah... nose hair trimmer, nail trimmer, lawn trimmer, tree trimmer, etc... I got it all, and now a cartridge case trimmer!

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,
I have used the units from the big four but found most lacking the precision that I was looking for. You will not be disappointed with the Wilson unit. In my opinion, a very high quality tool. if your looking for a truly squared case mouth as I do, makes for perfect crimping, it’s the real deal. I may find some push back but the only other thing that I have found that gives a good squared mouth would be a trim die but the Wilson leaves a slightly cleaner edge. Just really do not like the collet type as it uses the base of the cartridge case to hold it. The Wilson uses a die type holder and uses the shoulder. I guess the only downside is is that the shell holders, if you will, are cartridge specific. I guess it’s a speed over precision thing. I would also recommend a Lee factory crimp as well, they just compliment each other in my opinion.
best of luck on your search.

JP

JPetroni

Thanks. A couple of my rifles are sensitive to careless or poorly done crimps and other anomalies. Between the Wilson case trimmer and my collection of Lee Factory Crimp Dies, this problem is easily dealt with. Good advice, IMO.

the only disadvantage of the LE Wilson trimmer is that a die is needed for each case family. I'm not sure that they make one for a 404.

the only disadvantage of the LE Wilson trimmer is that a die is needed for each case family. I'm not sure that they make one for a 404.
Ray - -

Crtainly not something you will find at your LGS... but they make them on special order if you supply a cartridge. I've ordered one, but not received it yet.

+1 for the Giraud.

Excellent product. Excellent customer service (but you won’t need it!). Trimming brass is actually kinda fun. Plus it deburs and chamfers. I cannot speak highly enough for it. Trimming brass is such a bore, but the faster it is to do, the more you’ll reload which means you’re more likely to shoot/practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Rosenth

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you