Best Quad Sticks

ColinR

AH member
Reaction score
I know this is a bit of a controversy and some folks here are passionately against them. That’s fine, move on. I will be getting a set!

So my question for those that have them, what brand or model do you prefer and why? Seems I read mostly about 4stablesticks, and Rudolph sticks, but there are some others.

I bought a set of aluminum 4 stable sticks in England in early 2023 after using them for an excellent hunt. They went to Africa last summer and Montana in the Fall. They are a good value.
They were easy to pack when take apart.

I’ve used bogpod tripods and homemade tripod sticks. They each have their place and it is worth having both 4 leg and 3 leg sticks. With practice you will find your preference.

The 4 stable sticks allowed me good shots at 260 meters and head/neck shots in the 100-150 meter distance in England a few months ago.

I bought some Rudolph’s after using them in the Eastern Cape in 2022. I really like mine but I’m guessing all of the quad sticks are pretty similar

The Rudolph's have worked for me on several trips. Would buy them again, but would compare to the rest of the market first.

I have used two different sets of quad sticks, and each set has it's own pro's and con's. I believe it is up to the individual to see what features work for them.

1) Blaser. Carbon fiber which makes them very light weight and sturdy. They are very easy to adjust in height, but, what sets them apart from the rest, is the front rest. The blaser quad sticks have a proper grip that you can grasp onto, and by twisting your wrist, you are able to somewhat direct the front of your barrel either left or right, allowing you to follow your quarry, without having to move the sticks, or to lift and reposition the front of your rifle.

2) 4DeadHold. Ther front rest is wide, which allows for some movement to the left and right. Lightweight, and very easy to use either standing, kneeling or sitting. The legs have height indicators on them which makes it very easy to adjust to the correct height when sharing. the height adjusters have proper flip locks, which is easy to grip even when wearing gloves.

.....you are also able to place a double rifle on the front rest, and still retain the capability of moving the barrels left or right.

I’ve been using 4 stable sticks since 2017. The aluminum model is my favorite, but I have the carbon model now too. I find they are the easiest brand to carry and most maneuverable for standing shots. Viper Flex sticks feel more sturdy but are more bulky, but good sticks as well. I’ve used Gunstix on one hunt and have since bought a pair. They are very stable and the most user adjustable for height and sitting, kneeling, standing shots if you’d like but have the most things that can break given time. The biggest thing I’ve found with quad sticks is get a brand of sticks that has a flat front and not a V. The flat front lets you move easily left and right without putting spring tension into the rifle or moving the sticks.

I have the 4 stable sticks aluminum and a set of gunstix. The gunstix are more stable and easier to adjust. The 4 stable sticks have a lot of flex in the and feel ”cheap”. I bought them since they would fit into my suitcase but I’m going to sell them and buy a set of the viper flex carbon pro.

I use aluminum stablestix. I bought a pair of Rudolph’s and they didn’t hold up from target practice until my safari. With the stablestix I was comfortably making shots out to 400 yards.

Been using them for donkey years. They were originally thought out by a mechanical engineer from SA.
We make our own at home and it literally takes 10 minutes to put a set together.
If I remember, I’ll take photos of our “original”, non-adjustable model, but here’s the shopping list.
4 x 16mm Dowel Sticks
4 x 4mm x 35mm Bolts
4 x 4mm Nylock nuts
16 x 4mm Washers
1 x Piece of nylon cord
1 x Roll of insulation tape
1 x 4mm Wood drill bit

Once you learn how to use them it becomes second nature. They also work well as a walking staff, snake mover, water depth tester, “Is the buff dead?” checker etc.
It’s as good as having a shooting bench in the bush.

I have the Blaser ones and some made in France that a booking agent sells.

The Blaser is better but thrice the price.

I have used and owned the Rudolph (aluminum) for several years but also purchased a couple sets of the carbon 4Stablesticks and like those as well. Left a set in SA last year with my PH. Either of these are good to go in my book. Only negative I have had with the aluminum is carrying in cold weather, have warm gloves available.

Here in Ireland nearly every hunter using sticks uses Viperflex. Look at the viperflex journey sticks. They are reasonably compact when disassembled.
Holland guns in the USA sell them.

I have used two different sets of quad sticks, and each set has it's own pro's and con's. I believe it is up to the individual to see what features work for them.

1) Blaser. Carbon fiber which makes them very light weight and sturdy. They are very easy to adjust in height, but, what sets them apart from the rest, is the front rest. The blaser quad sticks have a proper grip that you can grasp onto, and by twisting your wrist, you are able to somewhat direct the front of your barrel either left or right, allowing you to follow your quarry, without having to move the sticks, or to lift and reposition the front of your rifle.

2) 4DeadHold. Ther front rest is wide, which allows for some movement to the left and right. Lightweight, and very easy to use either standing, kneeling or sitting. The legs have height indicators on them which makes it very easy to adjust to the correct height when sharing. the height adjusters have proper flip locks, which is easy to grip even when wearing gloves.

.....you are also able to place a double rifle on the front rest, and still retain the capability of moving the barrels left or right.

I’ll second the 4DeadHold sticks. I bought a set and love them. Trained the grandson on them. They worked very efficiently and effectively for him in Africa
IMG_1458.JPG
IMG_1460.JPG

I know this is a bit of a controversy and some folks here are passionately against them. That’s fine, move on. I will be getting a set!

So my question for those that have them, what brand or model do you prefer and why? Seems I read mostly about 4stablesticks, and Rudolph sticks, but there are some others.
Blaser 2

They have the hand swivel that enables you to move side to side without lifting the sticks

I have used the various models of Viperflex over the years and highly recommend them. They are a bit pricey but I think they are worth it.

I have used many different brands of quad sticks over the past 15 years or so

The best by far have been Viper Flex, if you are taking them overseas get the Journey model that come apart to pack

As long as you don't reverse into them in your pick up (I did) they are bomb proof

The problem with the Stable 4 sticks is they don't go down low enough for sitting, they also changed them a few years ago and the the joint that goes from the rest to the leg is now plastic and more liable to break than it's metal predecessor

I have taken out guests with the Blasers and find them a bit fiddly for quick shots and noisy

They have the hand swivel that enables you to move side to side without lifting the sticks
I’m sure the Blaser sticks are great but I haven’t used them yet. However, when I read someone needs to lift the sticks to move side to side, I know they haven’t changed their style from a tripod. I only shoot quad sticks with a sling and I hold the sling and front two sticks not the forearm of the rifle. This lets me use my thumb for left and right movements really easily without moving the sticks and the sling controls the recoil. Then for major movements I can pivot the sticks. The only times I lift the sticks are the same time I’d lift a tripod such as moving on a few yards closer. The thinner 4 stable sticks let me shoot with this style more easily than other brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?