AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hello, AH members,

I'm looking for an off-the-shelf long range hunting rifle in the $1k to $2k slot. I am trying to keep the bare rifle weight between 8.5 and 12lbs. Caliber range is 7mms up to .300 magnums.

I'm wondering if anyone here has personal experience/recommendations in this specific market?

I'm considering Ruger, Tikka, Seekins, Bergara, and Howa, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks, in advance, for your input!

Weatherby vanguards should be checked out as well. Built by howa.

They browning x bolt canyon is also another good shooter in that price range. Can’t go wrong with any of them though.

Remington Model 700 in 7mm Remington Magnum. The things are damned accurate. But you will do well to have a gunsmith fit an M-16 extractor onto the rifle to aid in more reliable extraction.

For sub-$2000, I would go with a Seekins PH2. I have a couple and they’re fantastic. The 7mm and .300 PRCs both tend to be very accurate and give great terminal performance with the heavy bullets.

For sub-$2000, I would go with a Seekins PH2. I have a couple and they’re fantastic. The 7mm and .300 PRCs both tend to be very accurate and give great terminal performance with the heavy bullets.
Thanks. This was definitely coming up regularly in my research. How did you find the ammo availability for the 300prc? Very tempted by that. And how do you find the recoil with the lighter weight?

I haven’t had issues finding ammo for the .300 PRC but selection has been pretty much limited to Hornady. The rifle shoots it very well so I don’t mind, but I would like to try it with the new federal bullet. The recoil is significant. I have a muzzle brake on it which obviously tames it down quite a bit but adds a couple of inches to an already 26” barrel.

If you’re looking for something lighter and shorter, the Seekins Element is excellent and the one I have in 6.5 PRC weighs only 5.5 lbs. They’re more expensive than the PH2 though and I don’t think I’d want to shoot one too much in a caliber like the .300 PRC.

Thanks very much for that feedback, stk. I am hoping to find something in that 8.5 to 12 lb Rifle weight just for recoil taming and shootability. But I really appreciate your note on the Seekins and the ammo issue. Really helpful. Thanks again!

Tikka T3 300Win
fullsizeoutput_7a1.jpeg

Because of the weight you listed I highly recommend Tikka T3X Super Varmint in 300 Win Mag.

Tikka rifles are an excellent buy for the money. Shame they do not offer a 300 PRC.
100% my favoured option at this time. Used to own one in the UK before I emigrated, but really thinking about other options, and, as you note, the PRC. Thank you

Tikka aside, do not let ammo hold you back on 300 PRC. You can always get great ammo from Custom Reloads of Dallas.

I am sold on 300 PRC. I had mine build by Alamo Precision Rifles.

My 300 PRC took all of my plains game in Africa to include a massive Eland that was through and through. I have also taken Nilgai, Pronghorn, several deer, and a lot of pigs.

When it comes to factory rifles in 300 PRC below $2k, I consistently hear about the Bergara B-14 HMR.

If I had to choose between a Bergara 300 PRC and that Tikka Varmint in 300 Win Mag, it would not be an easy decision. I am completely sold on 300 PRC, but the Tikka is such a great rifle.

Tikka aside, do not let ammo hold you back on 300 PRC. You can always get great ammo from Custom Reloads of Dallas.

I am sold on 300 PRC. I had mine build by Alamo Precision Rifles.

My 300 PRC took all of my plains game in Africa to include a massive Eland that was through and through. I have also taken Nilgai, Pronghorn, several deer, and a lot of pigs.

When it comes to factory rifles in 300 PRC below $2k, I consistently hear about the Bergara B-14 HMR.

If I had to choose between a Bergara 300 PRC and that Tikka Varmint in 300 Win Mag, it would not be an easy decision. I am completely sold on 300 PRC, but the Tikka is such a great rifle.
V close to what I'm currently thinking! But I'm still looking into the Seekins. The Bergera premier hmr looks v solid from everything I can read. That info on the reloading is really useful indeed. You find the custom reloads consistent enough to beat factory? Thanks again.

If you want to step up in price point, this barreled action was put together for me by Travis at TS Customs (impact precision NBK action, benchmark spiral fluted 6.5 PRC bbl, trigger tech trigger). I have it mounted in an MDT HNT26 chassis. The first shot was low, as I’m still tuning to an actual BC (published BC for this bullet is somewhat optimistic). The next two shots are a little over 2” apart in a decent crosswind at 600 yds. This is prone with a bipod.

I was actually surprised (pleasantly) at the price.

Image1684096233.593498.jpg

Hello, AH members,

I'm looking for an off-the-shelf long range hunting rifle in the $1k to $2k slot. I am trying to keep the bare rifle weight between 8.5 and 12lbs. Caliber range is 7mms up to .300 magnums.

I'm wondering if anyone here has personal experience/recommendations in this specific market?

I'm considering Ruger, Tikka, Seekins, Bergara, and Howa, but I'm open to other suggestions.

From that list, Seekins. Although I can make a case for a Tikka and spend more on the scope. The others are more hit and miss on accuracy in my experience. The Browning X-bolt would be a good choice to add too.

V close to what I'm currently thinking! But I'm still looking into the Seekins. The Bergera premier hmr looks v solid from everything I can read. That info on the reloading is really useful indeed. You find the custom reloads consistent enough to beat factory? Thanks again.
Better than factory. His loads are very precise and he also has an option where you send him your rifle and he builds a load for it.

My experience is with tikka. So, I suggest go with tikka t3x in super varmint or tac configurations.

+1 on the Tikka. My T3X hunter in 30-06 weighs in around 7 lbs before scope. Slap a Meopta scope on it and you'll have a great rig for under $2k. I do recommend replacing the plastic trigger guard/bottom with the metal one from Mountain Tactical. The adjustable factory trigger is great out of the box.
20220917_201016.jpg

Hello, AH members,

300WM hard to beat in any brand!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!