steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
While I wouldn't take for the performance of my only Zeiss HT scope, I appreciate that new less expensive scopes may have incorporated features which even expensive scopes of days gone by did not include, including for example broad band multi coatings. What are your favorite performance best buys in scopes, both new and used?
One of my best acquisitions was a Bushnell Elite 4200, which I hear was assembled from the leftover stock of B&L elite components when Bushnell bought them out. In any case, it is VERY good and not just at the price point of $200 NIB which I paid. If it only had more eye relief I might be searching high and low for another.
Your best buys, gentlemen?

Ive had great luck with Leopold VX-Freedom and VX3HD scopes when looking for something to go on a "budget" rifle..

With their VIP program you can pick up a VX3HD 3.5-10x40 or a 2.5-8x40 for $359... (MSRP of $499).. Pretty hard to beat that deal on a "good" scope (certainly not a high end Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss... but still very good, clear, solid light gathering, etc..etc.. glass..)... and the spectacular Leupold warranty....

I used to be a pretty dyed in the wool Zeiss guy.. but since finding the Leupold VIP program, pretty much everything gets Leupold glass these days..

Nikon Monarch 3 or Monarch African 1-4.

I’ve got 3

I haven’t had much luck with the “budget” scopes, lots of guys seem to like vortex but I don’t care for their field of view, sight picture or light gathering. Burris has some “ok” scopes but found they aren’t as bright as I’d like. For me, Leupold VX3 is about the cheapest I’d use. For the last few years I’ve been selling and trading off my cheaper scopes and sticking mainly to Leica and swaro. I’d rather have a cheaper rifle and a nicer scope.

Any Leupold VX3 bought secondhand on ebay. Be very cautious of counterfeits. The real things are still still under warranty from Leupold.

What is the VIP program from Leupold. Is it something for dealers only or can an individual sign up?

Its a program that Leupold offers for industry professionals (from a variety of industries.. hunting, sport shooting, law enforcement, etc) as well as to active serving military and military veterans.. Its a pretty quick and painless program to sign up for.. If you're a .mil guy its just a matter of sending them your DD214 proving service and an honorable discharge... For other industries its a matter of providing industry credentials that verify you are who/what you say you are..

https://www.leupold.com/vip-programs-info

There are a surprising number of companies that sell premium/high end products that do this... Sitka also has a program (theirs is call the Pro Program).. as well as others..

Give Vanguard Endeavor RS series a look … allot of scope for +/- $349 price point.

When I was REALLY broke (vs. normally broke), I bought Bushnell AR optics 1-4x20 with lit reticle and FFP. Now they make a 1-6x20.

For normal broke times, Leupold VX-Freedom with the veteran discount.

If I pool Christmas and birthday gifts and sell a body part, then I go the the VX-5HD line to get a lit reticle.

My Meopta Optika 6 1-6x24 did well on safari.

Pros: Clear glass, great reticles, robust design
Cons: heavy, crosshairs aren’t clear across full rang of zooms- requires diopter adjustment

For the money, buy a good used Leupold. I once purchased a used one on Ebay. Of course, the seller said it worked great! It didn't. I wrote a letter to Leupold, telling them exactly where and how I purchased it. I explained that I could not get it to "zero", period. I printed out the work order online, filled it out, and mailed it to them. They must not have been able to get it to zero either. Within a couple of weeks, they sent me a brand new in the cellophane 2.5 x 8 VXIII. The invoice was $0.00. I only own Leupold scopes.

I installed a 4x16 Primary Arms on my 7-08 the build quality and the glass were far better than than I expected for the money

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.