Benelli R1 Endurance

SFRanger7GP

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Wichita Falls TX or Colombia (It's Not Columbia!)
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member NRA and DSC, SCI, IOSH
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Namibia, Argentina, Bolivia, Panama, Italy, England, Scotland
I have been wanting a Benelli R1 for quite some time. Why? I have no good reason, but neither have most of my gun purchases. :LOL: I wanted one with the nice wood, but they seemed hard to come by. I came across one on Gunbroker that was the newest Endurance model, and it was in my favorite cartridge, the 30-06. I didn't like the black matte finish and synthetic stock, but it was listed as used/like new and starting bid was half the price of a new one. That is what I bid and won it. It arrived at my FFL after I had departed Texas, but they called and told me it is like new if not new. Appeared to be nothing more than test fired. I am excited to try it and it will be my new "sounder hammer" for pigs.

Anyone have any experience with the Benelli R1?

Safe shooting

I cannot remember the last time I saw or even heard someone mention the R1, and I have no idea why as it seems like a fine gun. Please let us know your thoughts once you get it.

I cannot remember the last time I saw or even heard someone mention the R1, and I have no idea why as it seems like a fine gun. Please let us know your thoughts once you get it.
Will do. It's at my FFL waiting for me to return to the US. I hunt vicariously on YouTube and really enjoy watching the Monteria's and other driven hunts. That kind of got me hooked on this rifle. I have shot a lot of Benelli auto shotguns of which the R1 is the same design, and they were super reliable.

I will let update you when I get my hands on it.

Safe shooting

X2

Cool looking rifle. 21st century rendition of my first centerfire - bought at age 18 (1967). Model 742, also a 30-06.

Hi,

I purchased a Benelli R1 Synthetic new some years ago in .308 Win. I really like the feel of the rifle and it shoots very accurately, I think that you are going to like shooting it. My taste was for the synthetic version based on dragging it around the woods and up trees for deer hunting.

I think you will find it a good decision for use on pigs. the action is smooth and in .308 recoil was minimal making fast follow up shots possible.

The only issue I've had with the rifle was user error, I took it out one opening morning for deer season here in Michigan, I climbed up to my high hunting platform and pulled the rifle up on a rope, I loaded the gun "by hand" closing the action to avoid noise. Not long after first light I had a group of 6 or 7 deer come in from behind me right under my platform, among them was a nice buck. I clicked the safety off and went for the shot, CLICK no BANG! I managed to cycle the action and remove the magazine several times, deer got tired of looking at me and ran off after several more clicks !!! You cannot "hand" close the action, at least with my new gun you cannot. You need to just press the slide release and deal with the noise of the action firmly closing , that way the bolt fully locks and the gun fires every time.

Along came a Blaser R8 as a travel rifle and the Benelli has not seen much action in the last couple of years, your post is reminding me to get it out and give it some use. I have an old Winchester model 100 in .308 in the back of the safe, it gave me the original inspiration in finding a modern update. As I looked around the market and having had great experience with Benelli semi auto shotguns it did not take much to convince me to buy an R1. If you need any help with those pigs let me know I would love to exercise my Benelli R1 with a bit of pig shooting.

Hopefully you’ll be able to wrap your hands around that R1 soon.

I bought my first R1 with high grade wood in 2002. It was beautiful. It fed ammo flawlessly. The best I could do with groups at 100 yards was 2-2.5". Taking is apart for cleaning was easy but it lost zero after reassembly even though the scope was not attached to the barrel. The triggers are not so great either, and there is not much you can do to improve them. I traded it.

I wanted another one in 2012. I bought one, but it was all synthetic. This one had feeding and ejection problems, but was a bit more accurate. I sold that one too.

The oil bottles Benelli supplies with the rifle are fantastic!

Keep in mind, if you hunt in RSA the semi-auto won't be allowed into the country. I hope you get a good one! The rifle does handle very well for fast off hand shots.

I am not done with Benelli, I'm ordering a Benelli Lupo, Wood, .30-06. (Oil bottle included!)

I bought a synthetic R1 probably 7 years ago or so. My main reason was that I wanted a semi auto in as big of a cartridge I could find. I don't believe I could find anyone else making a 338 Win Mag semi auto, so that was my pick.

I really like it. The semi auto action dampens the recoil down to a 30-06 level IMO. Plenty accurate. I remember buying an extra mag wasn't cheap, but that was about the only negative. I've always been surprised that I NEVER see R1s out at the gun shows, relative to the hundreds of 742s, 7400s, and BARs. I feel like people think of Benelli for their shotguns, and that's it.

I do have a Benelli Black Eagle 2 with a pistol grip for my turkey gun. Also a sweet rig. That 3 1/2" turkey load hits my shoulder worse than my 458 Lott though.

I've got nothing but good things to say about my experience with Benelli guns.

Anyone have any experience with the Benelli R1?
I have Benelli Argo, in 9.3x62, which is a model for eruopean market. R1 is exported to USA, basically the same (except American R1 doesn't have iron sights)
I use it for driven hunts on boars, and night hunt for boars with night vision. Basically this is my go to rifle for winter, when wild boar and red deer season is open in forested areas.
Accurate, eats all ammo, easy for maintenance, never had an issue. Recoil for caliber 9.3 is manageable.

What I understand, endurance is new model, improved recoil reducing system, and redesigned gas operation system. Should be very nice rifle.

Benelli Argo.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greattemple

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.