Becoming a Professional Hunter

Burgi24

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Andrew. I am a life time rifle and bow hunter in north western Montana. I hunt everything you can buy a tag for. I have always wanted to leave America and pursue my hand at becoming a PH. I am looking for any and all information on making this happen. From what I have read most people take about a 12 day course to start. Then do some sort of apprenticeship. I am curious about having to have citizenship to sit for the exam, arranging an apprenticeship, languages I should learn, and how long till you can be licensed to hunt dangerous game. I fully intend on leaving my life in America to make this dream happen. SO if any one knows the steps or can point me in the right direction as where to start, who to talk to and what to expect it would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to AH. :welcome:

You should pm Shakari who is a member here. He has written a book on becoming a PH.

Hope your dreams come true.

All the best.

Best of luck to you Andrew!

welcome to AH Andrew , enjoy the site .
if you make your dream happen , you will be living one of mine .and l dare say quite few others , on here

hope you do well ,mate

Hello everyone, my name is Andrew. I am a life time rifle and bow hunter in north western Montana. I hunt everything you can buy a tag for. I have always wanted to leave America and pursue my hand at becoming a PH. I am looking for any and all information on making this happen. From what I have read most people take about a 12 day course to start. Then do some sort of apprenticeship. I am curious about having to have citizenship to sit for the exam, arranging an apprenticeship, languages I should learn, and how long till you can be licensed to hunt dangerous game. I fully intend on leaving my life in America to make this dream happen. SO if any one knows the steps or can point me in the right direction as where to start, who to talk to and what to expect it would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to AH.

Your info references RSA.
You can do the schooling without citizenship or a card.
It is ten to 12 days.

Search the PHASA site for all the PH Schools in RSA.

Start there.

There are some threads on here about the exact subject. Search them out. Lots of your questions will be answered in them.

Good luck.

There are some threads on here about the exact subject. Search them out. Lots of your questions will be answered in them. Good luck.

+1

Welcome to AH Andrew!

Welcome,follow the advice allready given and make your dream a reality!

Thanks all! I have found some good stuff from your suggestions. I am still searching on how to set up an apprenticeship with a PH after completion of PH schooling for plains game. I am mostly interested in Tanzania!! I could be way off on what I know but I honestly want to pack up and go to school and then go strait to my apprenticeship, I am not interested in coming back and forth between America. This is clearly a fairly expensive endeavored and seeing how I am not wealthy and don't plan on being wealthy before I leave I would basically be taking everything I have with me and starting a new life. I know it is years from happening but Mark Sullivan is my inspiration and I know ill be living that dream in the next 4 years. So if any of you ever run across any type of info you think would help me please feel free to reach out to me, it would be much appreciated!

Welcome to AH, Andrew !

And the best of luck in the pursuit of your dream.

Thanks all! I have found some good stuff from your suggestions. I am still searching on how to set up an apprenticeship with a PH after completion of PH schooling for plains game. I am mostly interested in Tanzania!! I could be way off on what I know but I honestly want to pack up and go to school and then go strait to my apprenticeship, I am not interested in coming back and forth between America. This is clearly a fairly expensive endeavored and seeing how I am not wealthy and don't plan on being wealthy before I leave I would basically be taking everything I have with me and starting a new life. I know it is years from happening but Mark Sullivan is my inspiration and I know ill be living that dream in the next 4 years. So if any of you ever run across any type of info you think would help me please feel free to reach out to me, it would be much appreciated!

With determination like this you should not worry too much !!! you will get there ! Good luck ! Our industry need more of your kind !!

Welcome to AH Andrew! Good luck with your dream its one worth following.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross