BE import ban

My Goodness, the governments in this world is really trying to f*ck everyone's life up these days.
First Covid and all the shit around it.
Then Biden and all the shit around it
Then Ukranian war and all the shit around it.
Now this, how much more shit do we need.
So sad to read this Juergen

So I contacted a regional hunting organisation. Which usually is mostly concerned with hunting in Belgium, or at the most in neighboring countries. Without a lot of surprise, their response so far has been quite timid towards me... I do not feel a lot of combativeness there.

On the other hand, I'm personal friends with the communication officer of CIC HQ in Budapest. She has written to me that there will be an event at the end of April organised by CIC, where they will be bringing representatives from different African states over to Brussels, speaking about what this ban will do to those African countries.

As they want maximum media exposure, she asked me if I would have any media contacts that I could alert about this event. If anyone reading this, does have some contacts in Belgian/European media circles, please contact me in DM.

I managed to get my hands on the actual proposal on the Belgian import ban. I'll (try to) add the pdf, for those who can either read Dutch or French, but the gist of it is this:

- having considered a hearing by "experts" last year (only greenies were asked to speak)
- having considered a poll, showing "widespread support" for the ban (no one I know ever heard of this poll)
- having considered that although EU member states are supposed to let EU law prevail, member states also have the discretion to have a stricter interpretation or apply more stringent rules
- having considered that the Netherlands enacted such a ban in 2016 and France voted some additional restrictions in 2015 and that the UK in December 2021 has also proposed such a ban on the importation of hunting trophies

it is requested to immediately stop all the approvals of import licences for any and all animals figuring on Annex A of the EU law on trade in wildlife as well as the following six species from Annex B:
1. Southern white rhino (Ceratotherium simum simum)
2. Hippo (Hippopotamus amphibius)
3. African elephant (Loxodonta africana)
4. Argali (Ovis ammon)
5. Lion (Panthera leo)
6. Ice bear (Ursus maritimus)

(Leopard and black rhino are both Annex A animals)

From what I understand, it is only up to the responsible minister to ratify this and when it gets published it becomes law. The current responsible minister hails from the Green party...

Only a true Hail Mary will stop this nonsense from becoming law...

V.

PS: this means that apart from Buffalo, all DG game trophies would be prohibited to be imported into Belgium.

Attachments

• 55K2486004.pdf
    109.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I managed to get my hands on the actual proposal on the Belgian import ban. I'll (try to) add the pdf, for those who can either read Dutch or French, but the gist of it is this:

- having considered a hearing by "experts" last year (only greenies were asked to speak)
- having considered a poll, showing "widespread support" for the ban (no one I know ever heard of this poll)
- having considered that although EU member states are supposed to let EU law prevail, member states also have the discretion to have a stricter interpretation or apply more stringent rules
- having considered that the Netherlands enacted such a ban in 2016 and France voted some additional restrictions in 2015 and that the UK in December 2021 has also proposed such a ban on the importation of hunting trophies

it is requested to immediately stop all the approvals of import licences for any and all animals figuring on Annex A of the EU law on trade in fauna and flora as well as the following six species from Annex B:
1. Southern white rhino (Ceratotherium simum simum)
2. Hippo (Hippopotamus amphibius)
3. African elephant (Loxodonta africana)
4. Argali (Ovis ammon)
5. Lion (Panthera leo)
6. Ice bear (Ursus maritimus)

(Leopard and black rhino are both Annex A animals)

From what I understand, it is only up to the responsible minister to ratify this and when it gets published it becomes law. The current responsible minister hails from the Green party...

Only a true Hail Mary will stop this nonsense from becoming law...

V.

Horrible news, @VertigoBE

I fear hunters will lose a "Frontal assault" so I'd suggest looking for a "flanking attack". Often times there is fine print before law becomes ratified, you may be able to gain injunctions on such technicalities.

These may include:

-An impact assessment
-A sources and uses of funds to enforce
-An economic impact analysis on revenue lost by such legislation
-Due process comment periods, public notices, and other phase-gates that may have been omitted

Colonialism lives loudly and proudly in Belgium.

Of all European countries, Belgium should listen to African voices. Perhaps the Belgians need more statues of King Leopold or handless Congolese to remind them of what happens when they decide they know best.

Horrible news, @VertigoBE

I fear hunters will lose a "Frontal assault" so I'd suggest looking for a "flanking attack". Often times there is fine print before law becomes ratified, you may be able to gain injunctions on such technicalities.

These may include:

-An impact assessment
-A sources and uses of funds to enforce
-An economic impact analysis on revenue lost by such legislation
-Due process comment periods, public notices, and other phase-gates that may have been omitted
Thanks @rookhawk. this will not stop me from going though...

I did see that forrest elephant is Annex B, and not one of the named species Loxodonta cyclotis

Thanks @rookhawk. this will not stop me from going though...

I did see that forrest elephant is Annex B, and not one of the named species Loxodonta cyclotis
Simply an oversight of those driving this stupidity. They don't realize there are more than one type of elephant. An elephant is an elephant to them. Displays the same lack of understanding of what true conservation is, and who funds it.
Hopefully it gets halted by your courts.

Clomplete utter rubbish no logical viewpoint or research was done to get to this point.

DieJager and Vertigo,

Here is an idea buy a neat holiday home that serves as a trophy room hunt what you want and get the taxideremy done here.

If it was only that simple.

DieJager and Vertigo,

Here is an idea buy a neat holiday home that serves as a trophy room hunt what you want and get the taxideremy done here.

If it was only that simple.

That’s actually less stupid than you would think ;) it is an alternative that I’m considering.
It would not be possible immediately, but getting a secondary home close to my in-laws in the south of France, could be an idea.

Another idea would be to donate them to someone in Africa, and just admire them when I pass by.

Buying a property in Africa however… I’m less convinced about long term stability to allow for that possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!