Barnes .375 300gr TSX load work-up - Which powder to choose?

I’ve been working with the Barnes 300 TSX in the 375 I got from @PARA45.

I started with the loads below and worked up 0.5 gr each step up to find the right spot in the CZ.

IMR 4064 @64 grains-max of 66
IMR 4350 @72.5 grains-max of 77

H4895 wasn’t too impressive in 300gr Barnes but worked well with the 270gr Barnes bullets-65 gr load of H4895-in this rifle.

As always, information above is not guaranteed across all rifles. Watch for pressure.

Steve

I've work a bit with the now discontinued IMR 4451 in the 375 H&H

I tried one load of 74 grains with the 270 TSX seated at 3.600" and it gave me 1,2" for three shot. Hodgdon lists his Max at 74,7 grains.

With a 300 grains I vould start somewhere around 72,5 grains (this is my best load with the 300 grains Hornady RN and Sierra BTSP) and work up until 74,5, and may be a bit more looking for the best accuracy/speed you're looking for.

The Barnes TSX is really a not a difficult bullet to work with. They like to be seated deep and practical accuracy is easy to achieve.

Rl 15 is what I’m use. 2,641 fps out of my Dakota rifle. 300 gr tsx

Attachment.jpeg
IMG_1540.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is literally the only thing I’ve found that IMR 4064 does well. Sub MOA good!

I load a lot of IMR4064 in different calibers and have great success with it. So much that I buy it in the 8 lb containers. My 220 Swift loves it.
Now, for my 375 H&H I use RL15 and it performs beautifully with the Barnes 300 gr TSX.

I load a lot of IMR4064 in different calibers and have great success with it. So much that I buy it in the 8 lb containers. My 220 Swift loves it.
Now, for my 375 H&H I use RL15 and it performs beautifully with the Barnes 300 gr TSX.
yep.

I load it in almost everything from @Bob Nelson 35Whelen 's favorite .243 all the way up to my 416 Taylor..

Ive got a couple of rifles that I need IMR 4350 for.. and a few that I use H110 on (primarily a pistol powder.. but both 350 Legend and 458 SOCOM like it)..

but everything else in the safe that is a centerfire rifle gets a healthy dose of 4064...

70.0 RL 15 is what i have used for years in a Ruger RSM and a Whitworth, has worked well on several buffalo

i get excellent results with H4895 and 300 TSX.

yep.

I load it in almost everything from @Bob Nelson 35Whelen 's favorite .243 all the way up to my 416 Taylor..

Ive got a couple of rifles that I need IMR 4350 for.. and a few that I use H110 on (primarily a pistol powder.. but both 350 Legend and 458 SOCOM like it)..

but everything else in the safe that is a centerfire rifle gets a healthy dose of 4064...

Oh boy, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it. Now we'll hear from @Bob Nelson 35Whelen because you mentioned his favorite 243. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I used IMR-4350 & W-760 with 300 grs Accubonds, I was getting there, but ended up using Barns TSX factory ammo for my safari. I just ran out of time.

Oh boy, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it. Now we'll hear from @Bob Nelson 35Whelen because you mentioned his favorite 243. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I used IMR-4350 & W-760 with 300 grs Accubonds, I was getting there, but ended up using Barns TSX factory ammo for my safari. I just ran out of time.
@PARA45
Mate I let the 243 comment from @mdwest slide because he is a Whelen OWNER BUT he does need to get rid of that 243 and get a 25 of some description.
Bob

@PARA45
Mate I let the 243 comment from @mdwest slide because he is a Whelen OWNER BUT he does need to get rid of that 243 and get a 25 of some description.
Bob
dont forget I've got a 358 Winchester now too! :D

(I am thinking I might wring the 358 Winchester out this year and use it as my primary deer and pig rifle for this season.. Ive got a 1 night pig hunt coming up next weekend.. hopefully it all starts there! :) )...

dont forget I've got a 358 Winchester now too! :D

(I am thinking I might wring the 358 Winchester out this year and use it as my primary deer and pig rifle for this season.. Ive got a 1 night pig hunt coming up next weekend.. hopefully it all starts there! :) )...
@mdwest
Stoke the little 358 with 225gn Sierra game kings or 225gn Woodleigh round nose. Both short bullets ideal for the 358 win. Stoke it up using pace Kelly's loads and have fun. Old Pacos loads for the 358 equal the FACTORY rem loads for the Whelen. Those 2 bullets will give you longer range with the game kings and a BIG closer range thump with the round nose.
Bob
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlejandroM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.