Backpack - Camo Or Nay?

jpr9954

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Joined
Feb 16, 2021
Messages
3,845
Reaction score
33,942
Location
North Carolina
Articles
6
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa
My last trips to South Africa in 2024 I used a coyote brown USMC Filbe Assault Pack as my carry-on luggage. It had plenty of room but a shoulder strap is tearing away from the body of the pack.

Going through my attic and a couple of trunks, I find I have an embarrassment of riches. I have US Army assault packs in both desert camo and woodland. I also have a new London Bridge Trading 3-Day Pack in Multicam camo. Additionally, I have a padded camera/laptop, etc. pack with 2 external pouches of about the same capacity from LBX in ranger green. It is a little heavier than the assault/day packs but zips open like a suitcase.

I plan to put a change of clothes, a fleece sweater, 2 sets of binos in chest packs, my iPad, headphones, toiletries, and drugs plus valuables in the pack. My scope will be on the rifle in the Pelican rifle case.

I'm down to choosing between the multicam day pack and the padded pack. Is having a camo pack an issue if I am only going to South Africa. I know other countries like Zimbabwe frown on any and all camo.

What say you?
 
Take whatever one fits your needs.

On
both of my trips I have used a Badlands pack that is camo and no problems
 
As @JimP said, take whichever fits you best, camo is no issue in SA!!
 
I generally just wear earth tones when in South Africa.. but I dont see camo as a problem at all there.. I have a kuiu day pack that I keep water, snacks, extra ammo, and other "stuff" in that I take with me to South Africa.. its in the original kuiu camo pattern.. never been a problem.. and I have a lightweight sitka windbreaker that I sometimes take with me that in their optifade camo pattern.. also never a problem..
 
I generally just wear earth tones when in South Africa.. but I dont see camo as a problem at all there.. I have a kuiu day pack that I keep water, snacks, extra ammo, and other "stuff" in that I take with me to South Africa.. its in the original kuiu camo pattern.. never been a problem.. and I have a lightweight sitka windbreaker that I sometimes take with me that in their optifade camo pattern.. also never a problem..
I mostly will be wearing earth tones like you when in South Africa. My rain jacket probably will be camo as will be my insulated vest.

I was more concerned about RSA Customs looking a little askance at my pack. I probably will fit what I'm taking into both and then choose the one with easier access. In the field, I will have a waist pack with the "other stuff". It is a coyote brown.
 
RSA customs won't even give it a second look.

On both of my trips customs was more like buying a ticket to see a movie than anything else. Just take your hat off so they can see your whole face.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,571,740
Members
169,405
Latest member
presognsawrei1988
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top