Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
USA, Canada
Over the years I had quite a few rifles and sold quite a few rifles. I have been wanting a 12 bore double slug gun, so i decided to make one. I started off by purchasing a nice Sulh SxS from Simpson Ltd. I sent the barrels to the Shotgun Doctor(?) in Amherst, Mass and had him trim the chokes off, leaving me 25“ barrels. He installed a Raybar front site and a middle bead. it is one fine looking and fast handling shotgun. I now have to see if I can put two slugs on paper at 35-50 yards. Has anyone had any luck shooting slugs accurately at this distance with a SxS shotgun. I will be using standard velocity rifled slugs.

I had a Stevens 311 cut to 22", it shot pretty well at 25 yds without a bead on the front, just looking down the rib.

I would be happy with that.

I glued some sights on my Simpson 12ga SxS to see what it could do with some hand loaded Round Ball loads .

shot really well & regulated, with two balls side by side at 35-45yds, didn’t get to try out farther as I got a massive 15lb 12 bore double rifle and played with that instead lol !

i mistakenly called my shotgun a Suhl, but it is also a Simpson. Hopefully Simpson regulated all their doubles like yours!

At present I have a TriStar coach gun, 12 ga, about 20" bbls, thinking to have express sights put on it for my Urban Moose Gun. Better get my finger out and get with it, season will be here before you know it!

Over the years I had quite a few rifles and sold quite a few rifles. I have been wanting a 12 bore double slug gun, so i decided to make one. I started off by purchasing a nice Sulh SxS from Simpson Ltd. I sent the barrels to the Shotgun Doctor(?) in Amherst, Mass and had him trim the chokes off, leaving me 25“ barrels. He installed a Raybar front site and a middle bead. it is one fine looking and fast handling shotgun. I now have to see if I can put two slugs on paper at 35-50 yards. Has anyone had any luck shooting slugs accurately at this distance with a SxS shotgun. I will be using standard velocity rifled slugs.

I don't believe you'll get better than that unless you rifle the barrels at which point you could install a regulating wedge in the barrel and mess around with it until you get good regulation with convergence around 60 meters.

@IvW has done something very similar to what you hope to do. Lots of good information in the thread.

Virtually all German SxS guns were built to "regulate" wad-based Brenneke slugs out to forty yards are so. I have two pre-war guns in the gun room right now that are choked tight and really tight that will put two of them into a pie plate using just the bead at that range. That is plenty of accuracy for a driven boar, which was the intent. Regrettably, trimming those barrels may have negated that particular bit of gunmaker magic. Regardless, I would try the traditional Brenneke first. You may get lucky.

@Red Leg i agree with you and have found the same myself with German guns. They did regulate them in contemplation of slugs.

The reason I think this gun will not regulate as well with brenneke slugs is the gun had long barrels and surely full chokes originally. Cutting them down to 25” with cylinder bores robbed them of their likely good to very good regulation with brenneke.

I’ve owned a few drillings that would put 4 brenneke slugs into 3” at 60 paces. The Germans gave a lot more forethought to slug regulation than the Brits.

@IvW has done something very similar to what you hope to do. Lots of good information in the thread.

Virtually all German SxS guns were built to "regulate" wad-based Brenneke slugs out to forty yards are so. I have two pre-war guns in the gun room right now that are choked tight and really tight that will put two of them into a pie plate using just the bead at that range. That is plenty of accuracy for a driven boar, which was the intent. Regrettably, trimming those barrels may have negated that particular bit of gunmaker magic. Regardless, I would try the traditional Brenneke first. You may get lucky.
Also the French ManuFrance Robust shotguns.

This is a BSW 12 Gauge ( basically a Nazi Germany era Simpson) with extra full choke barrels.
DE880A07-9813-4471-A2F4-111D01F89EA7.jpeg

The owner used it to take over five Nilgai. All with factory loaded Brenneke original slugs. You can consistently get under 3“ groups with the two barrels at 50 yards.

You shouldn’t have mutilated those barrels.

@Red Leg i agree with you and have found the same myself with German guns. They did regulate them in contemplation of slugs.

The reason I think this gun will not regulate as well with brenneke slugs is the gun had long barrels and surely full chokes originally. Cutting them down to 25” with cylinder bores robbed them of their likely good to very good regulation with brenneke.

I’ve owned a few drillings that would put 4 brenneke slugs into 3” at 60 paces. The Germans gave a lot more forethought to slug regulation than the Brits.
Agreed. I think that is what I said. Sawing those barrels was a mistake. But I would try Brenneke first. A small miracle could happen.

Last edited:
My thoughts with removing only the choked area of the barrels was to be able to use readily available Federal,Winchester or Remington slugs which supposedly shoot best from a cylinder bore. From what I have read (and there isn’t much info published) is that shortening th barrels may delay crossing over by a few yards or open up the left/right spread. Or maybe I screwed up a perfectly good gun.

I will reiterate, my sawed off (22", don't get your knickers twisted) 311 shot great at about 30 yds, holes about 1/2" apart.
I felt extremely comfortable with that as the gun hanging above the door of my cabin in Trapper Creek.

At present I have a TriStar coach gun, 12 ga, about 20" bbls, thinking to have express sights put on it for my Urban Moose Gun. Better get my finger out and get with it, season will be here before you know it!
I would be interested in your results.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg