Australia for Retirement?

wildwilderness

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
I see folks asking about retiring to Africa frequently (mainly due to the lower cost of living and proximity to hunt). There is always a mention or two for Australia as a better way to go (stable government and healthcare)

How would the costs compare though? It would seem to be on par with the US for retirement cost?

For those that know what advantages would there be to retire in Australia?

On a side I was born in Australia and have a claim for citizenship though I have not lived there since I was 2 yrs old. Would I still be eligible for healthcare? Would my US citizen wife have any benefits?

I looked at Australia as a possible destination for retirement and just don’t have the 2 million dollars in cash to keep in a bank account in Australia as visa collateral
glance at their current laws

I looked at Australia as a possible destination for retirement and just don’t have the 2 million dollars in cash to keep in a bank account in Australia as visa collateral
glance at their current laws
Yes I see that but don't need it as I have citizenship

I have lived in Melbourne my whole life. I cant advise you on immigration requirements, but can definitely give you a few things to consider.

As far as financial issues, there is a bit to be aware of. Historically, the AUD is valued closer to the Canadian dollar than the USD. Right now, we get about USD$0.66 to one AUD. So you are getting close to two Aussie dollars for every USD.

Housing in the big cities is expensive. Sydney is far and away the most expensive, but Melbourne and Brisbane both have a median housing price of close to AUD$1,000,000. In rural areas, housing can be a lot cheaper, but in some country regions housing can be the same or more - typically areas on the coast or near the ski fields, etc. Generally the standard of living here is good, though the cost of living is high relative to the USA.

You need to understand that most states in Australia have little or no hunting on public land. So in many states you will have to pay at least for land access, and may only have access via fully guided hunting. This assumes you dont own acreage yourself, or at least know someone who does. The big exception is Victoria where a large (UGE!) area of public land can be hunted. I dont have time to write up a full guide to hunting Vic, but the short of it is large areas that can be hunted, primarily for Sambar deer, though there are opportunities for fallow deer, very limited hog deer and the odd pig or goat in some vary limited areas. A deer licence is all you need ad that costs around $60 per year, with no season as such ( a few exceptions to this) and no bag limit.

Happy to answer any questions - and I imagine there are many.

Also I think you can’t travel to different states with a firearm ( hunting rifle) without buying a license and passing a background check From where you are trying to travel ??
#2 Australia doesn’t recognize a USCG captain license and has wierd cabotage laws
“”Cabotage laws apply to merchant ships in most countries that have a coastline so as to protect the domestic shipping industry from foreign competition, preserve domestically owned shipping infrastructure for national security purposes, and ensure safety in congested territorial waters.””

not that that would effect you , but definitely would discourage me

hopefully they welcome the protical child back home

Last edited:
Also I think you can’t travel to different states with a firearm ( hunting rifle) without buying a license and passing a background check From where you are trying to travel ??
No, as a resident, once you are licenced in one state, there is reciprocity for several weeks in most states. The only exceptions as far as I know are Western Australia and very recently the Northern Territory where you are required to apply for a temporary licence to take a firearm, but even then its really just an extension of your state license.

How realistic is it to own land that has hunting opportunities? Say in Queensland or NSW?

If that’s not a viable option are there hunting leases or clubs that have access land?

BEEN TO BOTH. NICE TO VISIT, BUT I WILL STAY WHERE I,M AT. I LIKE THE LAWS HERE IN THE USA.
My opinion as well. In fact I actually got the immigration but after visiting it once I decided to just stay in US of A.
With so much wildlife, it should have been a sportsman paradise but laws make it impossible to enjoy the pastime as easily as what we have here. Similar, after spending most of my life in Texas where 75 mph on highway is common and even 90 MPH at some places, I cannot imaging driving for hours on a 60 KMPH highway with radar cameras and police on every corner.

How realistic is it to own land that has hunting opportunities? Say in Queensland or NSW?

If that’s not a viable option are there hunting leases or clubs that have access land?
Whats your definition of "realistic"? A lot of country in NSW and QLD carries good numbers of what you guys call hogs and also feral goats, plus small game like rabbits & foxes.

But this tends to be arid land. This land is generally farmed, running cattle or sheep (what you guys would call a ranch I think). But because of limited grazing, the properties are big and I think would have much lower livestock density numbers compared to the USA. For example a friend of mine has a cattle property in central QLD that is 135,000 acres, but that is a pretty small property. Most of the properties surrounding my friends land are around double that size. If you go further north into buffalo country, the cattle farms are typically around one million acres.

Of course, you can buy smaller properties, but the density of game is low, and I think a lot of states require you to have something like a minimum of 30 acres to legally shoot a firearm on the property - not 100% sure of this regulation as I dont hunt on small private blocks.

To the best of my knowledge, there are very limited hunting leases in Aus. I only know of one which is Sunday Island in Victoria. Its kind of like a timeshare with hunting for hog deer, for want of a better description.

Depends what you want to hunt.
Deer of different Colors are in different parts or states.
Remember Australia is same size as USA so you need to be aware that say red deer are in southern Queensland and fallow too whereas chital and Rusa in the northern part a long way away.
Sambar and fallow in Victoria whereas fallow are also in Tasmania.
Deer for example are also throughout New South Wales - Rusa red and fallow but are scattered in different parts.
So if you are looking at deer hunting you’ll most likely need to travel.
Buffalo are only really in the Northern Territory one long way long way from the southern east coast cities,
If after donkeys etc southern part (basically) in the Northern Territory but a long way from Darwin so 4WDing is necessary.
These are general and there are numerous other places but generally scattered.
Health system is world class and as an Australian you’ll be entitled to free (generally speaking) medical treatment - depending on state etc.
Cost of living like USA has risen significantly recently.
PM me if I can be of more help.

If not for the financial part it would be perfect for me, because my heart would stop the first time one of those many deadly snakes looked at me, so cost of living wouldn't be a concern.

If you are referring to Australia unless you go looking for trouble or are just plain unlucky snakes won’t bother you.
Australian snakes are only gonna bite when they feel threatened.
Common sense - won’t have a problem.

They don't have to bite me, a look would suffice.

O agree with on that one especially if a brown or taipan
Taipans have orange eyes and a peculiar chisel like head
If you see one that close believe me you have a real personal problem
Australian snakes have relatively tiny fangs - reason
They’re like needles that you would inject someone with
Ps one thing about the taipan
If hit you’ll double double usually within ten minutes
At around 20-40 minutes you’re comatose
So after that
No more problems - ever

O agree with on that one especially if a brown or taipan
Taipans have orange eyes and a peculiar chisel like head
If you see one that close believe me you have a real personal problem
Australian snakes have relatively tiny fangs - reason
They’re like needles that you would inject someone with
Ps one thing about the taipan
If hit you’ll double double usually within ten minutes
At around 20-40 minutes you’re comatose
So after that
No more problems - ever
They could use some of those for the Canadian medical system!
I saw a headline on the Babylon Bee (where I get all my news) that a Canadian man's family is preparing for his funeral because he's too polite to tell the Dr he doesn't want to be euthanized.

If you are referring to Australia unless you go looking for trouble or are just plain unlucky snakes won’t bother you.
Australian snakes are only gonna bite when they feel threatened.
Common sense - won’t have a problem.

Note that if you want camels / central Australia
Wild pigs
NSW and Queensland
Plentiful - they are more than just a pest

I see folks asking about retiring to Africa frequently (mainly due to the lower cost of living and proximity to hunt). There is always a mention or two for Australia as a better way to go (stable government and healthcare)

How would the costs compare though? It would seem to be on par with the US for retirement cost?

For those that know what advantages would there be to retire in Australia?

On a side I was born in Australia and have a claim for citizenship though I have not lived there since I was 2 yrs old. Would I still be eligible for healthcare? Would my US citizen wife have any benefits?

The best way to enter Australia .
1 fly to Indonesia & hire a people smuggler. Supported by the Indo gov & corrupt police.
2 Through all your ID away.
3 the smugglers will bring you to Aust in a leaky boat that will be intercepted by the Aust Navy.
4 The navy will issue you with a life jacket , hat & sun screen feed you ( remember no pork allowed )& give you medical attention.
5 you will be transported to a luxury dentition center & met by an immigration lawyer funded by the Australian tax payer. most likley an Indian or Pakistani who got in to Aust by this method.
6 Remember you must hate Australia & our way of live to pull this off . you will be released into the community by a government funded judge & go on social security you will not be expected to work,
just attend a pro Palestine rally every so often .
Remember that if you can speak English want to work, love the country & contribute to society you will be sent home, if they know where you come from, on a luxury jet funded by the stupid Aust tax payer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocky12K91

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double