Assisting in identifying a type of Boere Mauser?

Yes, and they will be well equipped to ship abroad....their prices are really good. Andrew Souther is a good man and a honest businessman. His service is good .

Yes, and they will be well equipped to ship abroad....their prices are really good. Andrew Souther is a good man and a honest businessman. His service is good .
Thank you for the info, I will save the info and as soon as I build back up from my spree yesterday I'll be contacting him. There's got to be a way to import them.

I am sure you will get the Mausers permanently exporting to your country...since these Mauser are older than 100 years I think it will be in your favor as well...maybe it will be classified as vintage/collectors items ??

I will certainly check on it. I noticed there was a great selection of martini henry's too and 303 enfields.

Gert, both mausers showed up today and I picked them up while I'm at work and have been wagging them around in my patrol car all shit. Lol soon as I get them home I'll take some pics before I hide them in the safe. This is all provided my wife is already asleep and I can smuggle them in.

Gizmo, these Mauser are making you going "under ground".....going deep under cover...(y)

Well all smuggled in and wife was asleep as expected! Here is the new babies.
image.jpeg

Good day members.

I need some assistance in identifying a unique Boere Mauser.

Scenario: Correct me if I am wrong, the 7x57 Mauser my fore -fathers , the Boer fighters used in the Anglo Boer war used was the split-bridge Mauser? The Model 1893/1895 Mauser chambered for the 7×57 cartridge.

A very old person , 84 years of age handed a 7x57 Mauser in yesterday at the gunsmith shop. Attached to the 7x57 Mauser is a story. During the Anglo Boer war his grandfather used this Mauser in war. His horse was shot dead under him , the bullet traveled through his leg and through the horse.

He fell and was taken as prisoner by the English( British soldiers) Fortunately the Mauser rifle, the saddle with the hole in was recovered by his fellow Boer fighters. His grand child, the old person unfortunately do not have sons and can not hand the 7 x 57 Mauser to a son of his...so now he gave it to the gunsmith shop.

Coming back to the scenario: Split bridge Mausers, the Model 1893/1895....but what now if the 7x 57 Mauser has a M89 action, build by the Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionfabriken Berlin, the serial number being no 31. Another strange making is the three circles staggered as a triangle on every part of this 7x 57 Mauser.

Left hand side of back sights is a C7mm marking.
Left side of receiver 3 x crowns, 2,4 gG.B.P under this marking is ST.m.G

Is this a custom made Mauser in the 1889 era for someone to used in the Ango-Boer war, three year war in South Africa?

I really would like to hear from any one who can tell me more about this rifle.

My take on this rifle: It can be a O.V.S Mauser...

Regards

Gert

Hi Gert,

I believe that I own the brother of your Mauser. Here are some pictures of mine.
I just came back from the shooting range. It still shoots like a dream. The barrel on mine is 35inches

Rear Sight left.jpg
Barrel Crown.jpg
DWM Crest.jpg
Leftside Barrel.jpg
DSC01662.JPG
Mark on bolt.jpg
DSC01656.JPG
Barrel + Band.jpg
PicsArt_1421084191170.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody with info on this rifle please help. I know it is a m98 action but do not now when it was manufactured. I believe it could be 1898. I also own another DWM Mauser and the date 1908 is stamped on the receiver. No date stamps on this one. Another feature is the barrel a whopping 35inches, made by H Burgsmüller and sohn.
Why DWM made it and how it ended in South Africa would be nice to know, especially if it could be proofed that it was in S A during the ABW.

Congrats Gizmo on your new rifles!

Good day Bertus

Thank you kindly for this reply, it is much appreciated. I will inform Johan Greyling about your rifle, Johan Greyling is the owner of the 7 mm Mauser. I really like the 35" barrel , unbelievable..it really must be a gem to shoot out far , I belive it to be extremely accurate????

Regards

Gert

I really would like members to tell me where this Mauser fits in the Anglo Boer war?
@Gert Odendaal please get some 0000 steel wool or better yet bronze wool (used for luxury boat mahogany/teak refinishing). Use a LOT of oil (synthetic motor oil is fine) and rub out all that active surface rust gently. She will come back a long way with that technique. The live rust must be exterminated.

She is a beauty. Looks like the stock was refinished at some time. She belongs on a safari in the hands of a proper Dutch reformed Afrikaans!

Anybody with info on this rifle please help. I know it is a m98 action but do not now when it was manufactured. I believe it could be 1898. I also own another DWM Mauser and the date 1908 is stamped on the receiver. No date stamps on this one. Another feature is the barrel a whopping 35inches, made by H Burgsmüller and sohn.
Why DWM made it and how it ended in South Africa would be nice to know, especially if it could be proofed that it was in S A during the ABW.
Hi Bertus,
I have the same dilemma. I have been all over the net with mine and I think we are onto something here. Mine has got the same marking as yours and if I look at the other gun on this thread I think we have a kind of a special made Mauser of various bits which accompanied military orders as "promotional gifts" as mentioned earlier. Mine has no date and none of the other markings except that one that looks the same as yours on the bolt. I think I am going to end my search and be happy that I would probably never know the whole story but at least I know that others like ours although different from each other have ended up somehow in South Africa.
20160902_160613.jpg
20160902_160711.jpg
20160902_161342.jpg
20160902_161405.jpg
20160902_162440.jpg
20160902_162510.jpg

As pointed out I would accept the "promotional gift" theory as the most likely explanation of where these "odd " assembled rifles fit into the historical part of the 7 mm Mauser history. Still, you own an exceptional rifle if you have this type of 7 mm Mauser in hand. All that is remaining is to shoot and hunt with them as much as possible..(y)

Good day Bertus

Thank you kindly for this reply, it is much appreciated. I will inform Johan Greyling about your rifle, Johan Greyling is the owner of the 7 mm Mauser. I really like the 35" barrel , unbelievable..it really must be a gem to shoot out far , I belive it to be extremely accurate????

Regards

Gert[/QUOTE
Hi Bertus,
I have the same dilemma. I have been all over the net with mine and I think we are onto something here. Mine has got the same marking as yours and if I look at the other gun on this thread I think we have a kind of a special made Mauser of various bits which accompanied military orders as "promotional gifts" as mentioned earlier. Mine has no date and none of the other markings except that one that looks the same as yours on the bolt. I think I am going to end my search and be happy that I would probably never know the whole story but at least I know that others like ours although different from each other have ended up somehow in South Africa.View attachment 158992 View attachment 158993 View attachment 158994 View attachment 158995 View attachment 158997 View attachment 158998

Hi Echo

It would really be nice to know the story behind the rifles.
Where did you get your rifle and do you shoot with it.
I am in Pretoria.
Bertus

As pointed out I would accept the "promotional gift" theory as the most likely explanation of where these "odd " assembled rifles fit into the historical part of the 7 mm Mauser history. Still, you own an exceptional rifle if you have this type of 7 mm Mauser in hand. All that is remaining is to shoot and hunt with them as much as possible..(y)

Hi Gert
Went hunting with mine this year. Unfortunately couldn't get a close enough shot where I
was confidant. Will definitely keep taking it on hunting trips.
Bertus

Hi Guys

Mine was owned by a JJS Naude from Oudtshoorn. Maybe used for karoo
hunting. Who knows. Maybe he was an ostrich farmer who had the rifle buid
with that long barrel.

Bertus, I want to suggest you do some reading up about the African Long Mauser . These Mausers were made specially for Africa , for the farmers in Rhodesia and South Africa. These Mausers had some extremely long barrels as well. John Speed`s book may give you some good information as well. In the meantime use your Mauser and enjoy it every time you shoot it....(y)

Hi Bertus, I have almost the exact same rifle as yours, bit higher serial,but also with the straight bolt and markings on the receiver,mine unfortunately have a new barrel,bought it like that, but otherwise all matching. This is the most info anywhere on these rifles I have found on the net,so thanks to everyone, not even the local collectors club could help with this rifle. Sorry it is almost the same as Gert's and Echo Tango's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg