Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo, South Africa; Omay, Zimbabwe; Czech Republic; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
Trying to get a trip together this summer and if we do a side trip to Vic Falls after the hunt it is throwing a wrench into our travel plans coupled with the Covid testing restriction returning to US etc. I'm normally not a tourist site kinda guy anyway. Is this a must see attraction ?

That's a personal thing. On my first trip to Zim I flew into Vic Falls so it was just a stop along the way to the hunting camp. The falls were certainly impressive but for me it was a once and done thing. Been through Vic Falls a few more times since then and never felt the need to see the falls again. Personally I wouldn't make a major detour just to see the falls.

Yes, for sure! The falls themselves are pretty spectacular, but there are heaps of side activities too. You can do all the adrenaline junkie stuff like bungee jumping, reapd rafting etc, but at my age I prefer high tea or a dinner at the famous Victoria Falls hotel, or a steam train ride or a booze cruise on the river. You will probably have been all gamed out by then but if not the game park is worth a visit. Lots of curio shopping too of course.

After my hunt in 2018, my wife and I went to Victoria Falls, stayed at the Victoria Falls hotel( awesome place oozing history) we really enjoyed ourselves, with COVID and extra countries involved it may be difficult, but definitely worth the trip to go.

If you're there and you can swing it, do it! I've seen it 3 times now and glad I did everytime. Plus you can buy lots of neat wood carvings cheap!

Last edited:
Yes. It is a neat. The town is also a cool place to hang out. I stayed there a few days on an extended backpacking trip and loved it. On a 2015 hunt in Zim I also stayed a day and saw the falls and wandered around town.

I'm not a tourist site type of guy either but I ended up staying in Zim for a while back in the day, everyone kept saying should go & see the Falls, I said I don't need to see a lot of water going over a cliff, but it was a lot more than that, the falls has its own little eco system from the mist from the falls & I love looking for Bushbuck, took a old steam train out there ( I think back then main train lol) & had extra viewing areas from the filming of Clint Eastwoods "White Hunter Black Heart" at the time (part of the reason I went was hoping to see Clint lol) so if not a real big hassle yes worth a look !

Don't know about now days but back then it was like $5 Park fees & Zimbabwe was a fantastic country compared to Kenya that I had just left, a horrible place where everyone & ever department robbed you at each turn for some pitiful experience or site .

I was there again 3 years ago & it is even worse now !

We try to add excursions into our hunts. We’ve done wine country once and Vic Falls twice. I would definitely go out of my way to see the falls. The Vic Falls hotel is a must do for lunch or tea on the veranda. We stay somewhere a bit quieter, The Stanley and Livingston. Absolutely over the top!

Well, it's certainly an interesting place. I'd say yes, if you can swing it. My wife and I stayed at Illala Lodge, within easy walking distance of the falls. Town was nice, the hotel was great, and we watched warthogs and (twice) elephants wander through the manicured lawn while we had drinks on the terrace. Also had a meal at the old historic Victoria Falls Hotel mentioned above. The falls are spectacular, and the ecosystem created by them is interesting too. It was mainly a hunting trip in the Kazuma area, but I'm glad we took the time to see Vic Falls.

Victoria Falls is one of the top four places in Africa that are bucket list worthy, IMHO, which doesn't count for much. :)

Look at a list of excursions/fun things to do around the falls. A person could easily spend a few days doing different things of entertainment/interest.

We try to add excursions into our hunts. We’ve done wine country once and Vic Falls twice. I would definitely go out of my way to see the falls. The Vic Falls hotel is a must do for lunch or tea on the veranda. We stay somewhere a bit quieter, The Stanley and Livingston. Absolutely over the top!
Totally agree with your choices.

The greater Falls area (VF & Chobe) is great, I would recommend doing both. At Chobe the evening boat trip to see the elephants is fantastic, watching them cross the river. I would pass, on the Bungee at VF, not a very good safety record.

Yeah I'm not an an adrenalin junkie and dang sure not going to bungee anywhere much less Zim :D

Trying to get a trip together this summer and if we do a side trip to Vic Falls after the hunt it is throwing a wrench into our travel plans coupled with the Covid testing restriction returning to US etc. I'm normally not a tourist site kinda guy anyway. Is this a must see attraction ?

Vic Falls makes Niagra Falls look like a water fountain. Vic Falls is a natural wonder of the world with the same power as the Great Pyramid is as a man-made wonder.

It is a GREAT place to blow 2-3 days. Victoria Falls is so colonial you get in a lot of history. Rhodes. Livingstone. The old Victoria hotel where the queen mother honeymooned. Lots of things to see in Victoria Falls. Its so close to Hwange National Park that it makes it a very convenient stopping off location as well.

Vic Falls makes Niagra Falls look like a water fountain. Vic Falls is a natural wonder of the world with the same power as the Great Pyramid is as a man-made wonder.

It is a GREAT place to blow 2-3 days. Victoria Falls is so colonial you get in a lot of history. Rhodes. Livingstone. The old Victoria hotel where the queen mother honeymooned. Lots of things to see in Victoria Falls. Its so close to Hwange National Park that it makes it a very convenient stopping off location as well.

I've never seen Niagra Falls either

I was there in early May of 2018 with my daughter.Lots of water going over the falls made Niagara look like stream.
She made me go zip lining and the helicopter tour so I made her go on the dinner cruise above the falls and watch the sun set on the Zambezi river, breathe taking.
Definitely glad we didn’t miss it!

Vic Falls is a must see. However, with COVID you plan it for another time. We stayed on the Zam side in Livingstone and stayed at the Royal Livingstone which was quite nice. If you go there before July 1st, the rates are lower. Water over the falls varies quite a bit and people have told me you need to go more than once to see it at different river stages. Usually lots of water in April-June and then it tapers off the remainder of the year. The water was quite low when we were there, due to drought in Angola. I will go again and probably stay on the Zim side, just to check it out.

Short report from my Vic Falls visit

I should add that my wife and I are confessed wine junkies. We have toured wine country in Italy, Argentina, California and South Africa. South Africa is our favorite. They have some unbelievable wines that never find their way to North America. The country around Stellenbosch is stunning. If you like fine wines, great food and amazing accomodations it should be on your bucket list. I believe that you could fly to RSA and spend a week in wine country cheaper than you could fly to California to do the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg