Are red dot sights "catching on" in Dangerous Game hunting?

Tanks, I know Ivan has one, it just feels like it should not be there:D Double looks kind of too high tech with it,but like I said I just need to wrap my head around it:D

I have used both the doctersight III, trijicon rmr and now have the zeiss compact point and aimpoint micro.

Very happy with all of them except for the trijicon rmr.
I had to pass on game (lion) because of the green tint to the glass on the rmr sight. I could easily have taken the shot with any other optic or even open sights since I could see her with my naked eye without a problem.
Got rid of that rmr before I even landed in Sweden on the way back from that trip. (Changed to a normal scope and got my lion anyway on that trip, thank god for blaser quick mount!)

Lovely sight otherwise unless there is a chance of hunting when the sun is starting to set. Or even a dark cloudy day under thick canopy...

That is one of the reasons I went with the EOTech holographic sights. I don't have to worry about any dots on the game itself. They also have 20 levels of brightness adjustments, so I can adjust depending on the brightness of the terrain.

Never had any problems with seeing the dot in the trijicon, the problem was that I couldn't see the animal as the glass has a strange green coating. Made it impossible to see the game through the holosight :(

@tarbe

This is one of the threads I was thinking of, but there is another one somewhere....

On my resent hunt in S.A. my PH had trijicon with IR and was very good quality. The Leupold R series are very good as are the IR on the VX 3 AND 6.

I have used a red dot sight on my shotgun for years (can't deer hunt with rifles here). I have never had a battery issue. As has been stated these things draw very little power and can run several days continuously without the batteries dying.

Put a new battery in at the start of each season and never have to worry about it.

The great thing about the red dot is the very fast target acquisition plus as stated you do not have to have precise head placement on the stock to aim accurately. Also most don't have magnification so there isn't an issue trying to find an animal in the scope.

To me sounds like a great dangerous game set up. Not as good as a magnified scope at ranges past 100 yards or so.

I used Tasco PDP on my sports rifle and pistol (not Hunting rifle) for more than 30 years now. For me and the distance I shoot up to 150m it is better than open sights or a scope. The only real drawback is a flat battery (happened once, after using it for 3 years without replacing) or the scope can get bumped and then misaligned (never happened to me). On DG it will work, although Ive heard some members complain that some reddot sights dont like the heavy recoil.

My 458 Lott wears an Aimpoint red dot , I like it very much for quick target acquisition.

I would just assume have a scope with a duplex reticle and the center dot being able to be illuminated if need be. If your battery dies or the thing just decide not to work, you still have a regular scope.

I run an Aimpoint on my 416 Rigby, 35 Whelen, 308 Scout. They are a great piece of kit. I also like the Trijacon 1.25-4 with the picket post reticle.

Although I still prefer iron sights, the red dots are definitely becoming more popular.

I have a Meopta Meostar R1 1-4x22 with K-Dot, which consists of a 2MOA center dot, framed by two horizontal and one one lower vertical line.

It can be used without illumination, and has 7 brightness levels of illumination.

Perfect for eyes which are not getting any younger !

Never had any problems with seeing the dot in the trijicon, the problem was that I couldn't see the animal as the glass has a strange green coating. Made it impossible to see the game through the holosight :(

Trijicon RMR's are red dots (an LED makes the dot). Only EOTechs make laser diode-based holographic reticles. I sure you knew that. Just passing it on for others. (No doubt there's a Chinese version...with a laser diode). I occasionally use a transverse EO EXPS3-0 on my 06 and 375. They both have Weaver bases. And the EO's are great if you find yourself hunting in heavy rain or wet snow (got it, no wet snow problem in Limpopo...) They'll move the reticle to the clearest space on the glass. Odd but true.

My eye surgeon doctor says the scope manufacturers didn't consult eye experts when they designed the red dot, bad choice of color and you're better off with green.

The Leupold VX6 Multigun 1-6 has a daylight visible, bright green dot. On 1x it has the same usability as an Aimpoint with the option for going up in power to 3 or 4x for precise shooting if needed. 30 mm tube, protected adjustable turrets, good glass, and durable as can be it is a bit big and heavy, maybe, for use on a sleek double. I think it would be a good fit on a .375 or .416 turn bolt.

Yep. But in fairness let your eye doc know that mass-produced green laser diodes weren't available when EOTech got going. The eye picks up the color green at a lower lumen level. EOTechs are available with a green laser diode now, but not, I think, in the EXPS3-0. Personally, I'm hooked on red since it's in all of my illuminated scopes, firedots, and EO's. It's just a result of my history. I do use green laser sights for certain pistols (combined with a white light, TLR-2 HL G) and the green economizes on battery juice.

I prefer the Amber in my Trijacon to the Green and Red, otherwise the Red. Simply because of using red lights of a night to protect night vision. The Green in my other Trijacon is easy to pick up even against a green background. I would think the Amber would be better for those that are Red/Green colour blind.

Battery wise Aimpoint micro H2 has an advertised battery life of “50 000h (over 5 years of continuous use)” on a single CR2032. I haven’t used one but I use a Leica 1-6 scope with red illuminated reticle on my 375HH and at 1x magnification with reticle on I shoot both eyes open and target acquisition is very quick, the scope is in removable mounts and I have had a set of decent irons installed on for backup but it is much easier and faster to shoot through the glass. Not sure about green reticle illumination, I have a green laser on my pistol and it is very easy to pick it up but all my scopes have red illumination.

For fast target acquisition I have settled on this Trijicon "reticle" in green. Put that point on the boiler room and pull the trigger.

upload_2017-11-11_20-59-28.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg