Arctic Clothes

MarkCZ

AH enthusiast
Joined
Jan 15, 2016
Messages
282
Reaction score
447
Location
Exmoor
Media
22
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
We are going to Lapland for a moose hunt in January. I have been advised of temps. -20 to -30.
I have boots and base layers sorted , I have a good warm jacket but it is not tried to those temps.
Does anyone have practical advise for kit in these conditions, I am also thinking of value for money.
Cheers, Markcz
 
We are going to Lapland for a moose hunt in January. I have been advised of temps. -20 to -30.
I have boots and base layers sorted , I have a good warm jacket but it is not tried to those temps.
Does anyone have practical advise for kit in these conditions, I am also thinking of value for money.
Cheers, Markcz
Sounds like a great trip. More than you asked for below and maybe more than you want to pay, but all proven to work in extreme cold.

Here is what many of us have made by Apocalypse Clothing here in the sub-arctic. These items served me well for years (and still do) between minus 20 to minus 40.

https://akgear.com/ Look under "Winter Activity Gear" then take "Expedition Parka," "Expedition Anorak," "Insulated Pants," and "Musher Mitts." I have the Expedition Parka as I like full length zippers.

The Musher Mitts are worn on a harness and cross around your back, so you can quickly put them on as over-mitts when necessary. My preference, however, are locally made moosehide mitts with beaver fur.

The Apocalypse "Explorer Hats" work great in severe cold. Take a merino wool or "Turtle Fur" ear band in case you overheat with the hat--you can vent for a while with just the ear band.

You will also need face covering. I would suggest double layer merino wool. Get long ones and fold them over, or shorter ones that are sewn double. These I get from Amazon:
and

Take at least two merino face coverings so one can dry overnight.

And long merino wool socks.

Many where I live use Steger Mukluks (I have several pairs) https://mukluks.com/ Any of the styles on the top row under "men's mukluks" work well in extreme weather. For extreme cold we get one or two sizes larger than our normal size so we can fit two layers of felt liners--they come with one set, and we buy the second. The mukluks are super comfortable and warm. I've been wearing ladies Steger mukluks for hiking (and dog mushing when I did that) for many years, since the late 1980s. Don't get the soles too close to a campfire!

I have not tried Steger's mitts. I do have Apocalypse mitts. As I mentioned, I mostly use moosehide mitts with beaver fur in extremes. But sometimes I'll use the un-insulated Apocalypse over-mitts with double layers of fleece mitts inside, or gloves with fingers inside a fleece mitt, all inside the over-mitt so I can use my gloved fingers quickly if I need to.

Take a few packets of "Hot Hands" air activated warmers for hands and feet in your pockets each day just in case you need them.

Layer long underwear.

Laura
 
For static periods, buy a used military extreme cold weather parka (e.g., Swedish M90 or Canadian Forces mukluks parka) Wear it over your shell when sitting. Take it off when moving. This combo is far warmer than a single €500 Arctic jacket.
 
Check with @Scott CWO, he just did an arctic adventure and lived to tell about it.
 
In my limited experience of freezing my gonads off in Sweden I found that the dry cold is not as bad as the damp cold we experience in Ireland. I sat one night for 5 hours in a highseat, boxed in, waiting for boar,-20C. Was I cold ? Yes. Was it bearable? Yes, but I was well wrapped up.
2 thin pairs of socks is better than one thick one. The British Army “ softies” are great at keeping you warm and very packable.
 
Big Rays and Barney’s Sports Chalet in Anchorage are both good options


 
Sounds like a great trip. More than you asked for below and maybe more than you want to pay, but all proven to work in extreme cold.

Here is what many of us have made by Apocalypse Clothing here in the sub-arctic. These items served me well for years (and still do) between minus 20 to minus 40.

https://akgear.com/ Look under "Winter Activity Gear" then take "Expedition Parka," "Expedition Anorak," "Insulated Pants," and "Musher Mitts." I have the Expedition Parka as I like full length zippers.

The Musher Mitts are worn on a harness and cross around your back, so you can quickly put them on as over-mitts when necessary. My preference, however, are locally made moosehide mitts with beaver fur.

The Apocalypse "Explorer Hats" work great in severe cold. Take a merino wool or "Turtle Fur" ear band in case you overheat with the hat--you can vent for a while with just the ear band.

You will also need face covering. I would suggest double layer merino wool. Get long ones and fold them over, or shorter ones that are sewn double. These I get from Amazon:
and

Take at least two merino face coverings so one can dry overnight.

And long merino wool socks.

Many where I live use Steger Mukluks (I have several pairs) https://mukluks.com/ Any of the styles on the top row under "men's mukluks" work well in extreme weather. For extreme cold we get one or two sizes larger than our normal size so we can fit two layers of felt liners--they come with one set, and we buy the second. The mukluks are super comfortable and warm. I've been wearing ladies Steger mukluks for hiking (and dog mushing when I did that) for many years, since the late 1980s. Don't get the soles too close to a campfire!

I have not tried Steger's mitts. I do have Apocalypse mitts. As I mentioned, I mostly use moosehide mitts with beaver fur in extremes. But sometimes I'll use the un-insulated Apocalypse over-mitts with double layers of fleece mitts inside, or gloves with fingers inside a fleece mitt, all inside the over-mitt so I can use my gloved fingers quickly if I need to.

Take a few packets of "Hot Hands" air activated warmers for hands and feet in your pockets each day just in case you need them.

Layer long underwear.

Laura
Thank you Laura, this is just the advise I was looking for.
Markcz
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,162
Members
169,501
Latest member
AnjaAguiar
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top