Anyone ever use bullets from Cutting Edge Bullets?

hammz

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Thinking of buying some from them for when I eventually start reloading. Specifically I see they make some 350gr high BC bullets for the .416 Rigby/Rem Mag. These seem like they'd be excellent rounds for elk.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.00.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.00.27 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.00.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.00.30 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.00.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.00.37 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.00.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.00.38 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
Following this as well. I have new 404 jeffrey project and would like to learn more about the CE bullets.

Maybe so. I looked at these in .375 and wondered how much they're holding together. Seems the fracture off some petals and keep going with a reduced weight solid portion. How far are we going to be shooting that a TSX isn't going to work as well? Probably work fine for elk. Not cheap though...$2 a bullet. You sure they aren't made by Nosler? Haha.
Something to consider: beside you can handle VLD bullets in your dies. The die makers haven't all sizes up to the fact that we have decided to reinvigorate older calibers with crazy new bullets.

Last edited:
I figure it'd be a solid 400 yard shooter for elk. Running the numbers through a ballistic calculator and averaging the velocity of what other 350gr rounds go for I am getting 5,878 ft-lb/2,750 fps at the muzzle. At 400 yards it's putting down 3,525 ft-lb/2,129 fps with 29" of drop. That's with a ballistic coefficient of .550 (G1). Unfortunately it starts to really divebomb after 400 yards and drops almost twice as much at 500 yards.

Try the higher grain bullets. How about the 444 grain? It's got a G1 of .820. I think if you're looking for long range energy retention you're going to have to drive a big bullet harder than you might like.

Try the higher grain bullets. How about the 444 grain? It's got a G1 of .820. I think if you're looking for long range energy retention you're going to have to drive a big bullet harder than you might like.

I don't think they will work in my 416 Rem Mag. The website says they need a 1:13" or faster twist (my 416 is 1:14") and it says they are specifically geared toward the 416 Barrett which is a gimped down 50 BMG for ban states.

I don't think they will work in my 416 Rem Mag. The website says they need a 1:13" or faster twist (my 416 is 1:14") and it says they are specifically geared toward the 416 Barrett which is a gimped down 50 BMG for ban states.
You'd never know unless you try. I'm interested in the 350 grain .375's looks like they can remain supersonic to 1800 meters. I'll bet they are rude as can be when loaded to that point too. Haha.

Hey you have that long throated Lott...how about a 575 grain with a TBD G1? If you could get 2100 at the muzzle you'd be supersonic to 1500 yards... expansion to 600 yards

Last edited:
Ive heard decent things about them from a few people...

but.. at the price point they sell for, I guess the question is... "why"?

why not stick with offerings that are known high performers in big bore calibers like Swift A-Frames and Barnes TTSX?

The Barnes 350 gr offering in 416 is typically between $1 - $1.15 per bullet

The A-Frame 350 gr offering in 416 is typically $1.25-$1.40 per bullet..

Why pay more than $2 per bullet for something different, when the TTSX and A-Frame have taken everything from mule deer to elephant successfully on more occasions than anyone can count...

If something with a particularly high BC is of interest to you, the TTSX being a monometal projectile has a very high BC (like all barnes TTSX and TSX do)..

I have trialed two of the .458 calibre offerings ( 450 grain Safari Solid & 500 grain Safari Solid ) in my .458 Winchester Magnum for the upcoming second edition of my book ( when I originally published the first edition of my book in 1999 , I recommended Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Sledge Hammer Solids in the “ Rifles & Ammunition “ chapter ) .

The straight line penetration is definitely there . The meplat nose profile is quite impressive .The 450 grain Safari Solid is an absolute Godsend , in the context of the .458 Winchester Magnum’s already limited case volume . The 500 grain Safari Solid really needs to be fired from a .458 Lott or .450 Dakota ( which employ larger capacity shell cases ) , in order to attain a decent velocity . Because it encroaches too much into the .458 Winchester Magnum’s already limited case volume .

Last edited:
Ive heard decent things about them from a few people...

but.. at the price point they sell for, I guess the question is... "why"?

why not stick with offerings that are known high performers in big bore calibers like Swift A-Frames and Barnes TTSX?

The Barnes 350 gr offering in 416 is typically between $1 - $1.15 per bullet

The A-Frame 350 gr offering in 416 is typically $1.25-$1.40 per bullet..

Why pay more than $2 per bullet for something different, when the TTSX and A-Frame have taken everything from mule deer to elephant successfully on more occasions than anyone can count...

If something with a particularly high BC is of interest to you, the TTSX being a monometal projectile has a very high BC (like all barnes TTSX and TSX do)..
Because the difference between .548 and .920 is significant at 400-600 yards in energy preservation.
The straight line penetration is definitely there . The meplat nose profile is quite impressive .The 450 grain Safari Solid is an absolute Godsend , in the context of the .458 Winchester Magnum’s already limited case volume . The 500 grain Safari Solid really needs to be fired from a .458 Lott or .450 Dakota ( which employ larger capacity shell cases ) , in order to attain a decent velocity . Because it encroaches too much into the .458 Winchester Magnum’s already limited case volume .
We are now looking at stretching the legs of big bores for the purposes of killing elk. It's a grand stretch of the mind beyond our comfort levels of high sectional density square nosed bullets.

I used their 225 grain tipped raptors for Elk out of my .416 B&M @2,950 fps, it was devastating. Worked great for PG in Africa as well.

All I use are CEB raptors and solids.

Because the difference between .548 and .920 is significant at 400-600 yards in energy preservation.

We are now looking at stretching the legs of big bores for the purposes of killing elk. It's a grand stretch of the mind beyond our comfort levels of high sectional density square nosed bullets.
@Forrest Halley
Ah , the American elk . It has been two years since I last shot one . I used a .338 Winchester Magnum and 250 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed factory loads .

I havnt shot anything with them yet. But the Raptors I have loaded up for my .338 lapua are well under 1MOA out past 600.

I have taken several dozen bovines, both Asiatic buffalo and Scrub bulls, with the CEB Safari Raptors with outstanding, reliable results.
Most were taken with the 450gn Raptor out of a .500mdm Ultra mag at 2450fps.
Straight-line penetration from the base and incredible damage from the blades.

I will try attach a picture of a bull i took with my .500NE, when i had it.
The shot was taken off the sticks at just over 100yds.
The bullet entered just below the bull's right eye, went through the skull, travelled down the neck, through the top of the chest and stomach and EXITED the rear hip bone after smashing it. Total around 7 or 8 feet of buffalo.

P9110213.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg