Anybody with bad knees?

Brent in Az

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
I don't mean to complain about my health, but my knees are trashed. I had to sacrifice this hunting season. My remaining good knee has been giving me grief suddenly over the last few weeks.

Doctor wants to get some pictures, and blood work, to see what's going on. I've been taking Tylenol/Ibuprofen by the truckload, which isn't healthy in continual large quantities.

Anybody have problems, and how do you deal with it.? The thought of knee replacement kind of freaks me out.

I don't mean to complain about my health, but my knees are trashed. I had to sacrifice this hunting season. My remaining good knee has been giving me grief suddenly over the last few weeks.

Doctor wants to get some pictures, and blood work, to see what's going on. I've been taking Tylenol/Ibuprofen by the truckload, which isn't healthy in continual large quantities.

Anybody have problems, and how do you deal with it.? The thought of knee replacement kind of freaks me out.
My right knee was a constant pain when I did much exercise. Finally, just before my 76th birthday, I went in to have it replaced. It's great now. I won't lie to you; the first five weeks were rough. Physical therapy is not fun. But it was worth it. I was in one full day, discharged and walked up the steps to my house the next day (slowly, slowly), and was very religious about going to PT and doing the exercises they gave me at home. I would have probably been pretty much over it by 4 weeks, but I got enthusiastic and over-did things, setting me back and in a bit of pain for a week or so. It's not that bad, not that big a deal. It's not exactly fun, and there are some uncomfortable times, but if my left knee gets to acting like the right one did, I won't hesitate to schedule an appointment with my surgeon. I had bone-on-bone in the right knee. Surgeon said I could limit my active life-style or have a total knee replacement. I got a new knee for my birthday. Great choice.

Ask if you’re a candidate for partial knee replacement. Much quicker recovery and fewer restrictions post recovery.

I’m having a floater taken out of my right knee Monday. 40 years of hockey takes its toll.

I played basketball for 40 years!! Nothing structural wrong with my knees the meniscus is just worn out in both knees. So I have severe arthritis in both knees. Had left knee resurfaced about 15 years ago. Dr put me on 1 Celebrex a day for the arthritis. It works for me. Might give it a try. Ibuprofen, Tylenol and alleve doesn’t work for me.

I take vitamin D3 everyday for bone & immune health based on my Doctors recommendation. I know a guy that had both knees replaced, and he has constant problems, and is icing them all the time?

The weird part of this, is that it didn't come on gradually, and I didn't do anything to damage the knee. I woke up in the middle of the night with pain in my left knee dead center underneath the knee cap. Going up and down stairs has been torture.
Maybe they are worn out, maybe a form of arthritis? Will have to see what the Doc says?

Yeah, same boat here. Last year they both bothered me, this year mainly the right. Weird too. I was taking a walk some months ago, and started to roll my ankle on a curb. Caught myself, saved the ankle. Couple days later the back of my leg was all kind of sore and stiff. Went on for days, used crutches for the first couple. Slowly it got better and continues to improve, been wearing one type of soft brace or another now for months.
I get around OK, but cannot do deep knee bend or squat at all, cant go all the way down. But I don't want to anyway so there.
Getting old sucks!

If your Dr recommends knee replacement just go for it.

My brother in law put up with bad knees for years until he had to have it done and afterwards he wished that he had done it sooner. A year later he had his other knee done then a year after that he had a hip done. He needs a shoulder done also but he is putting that one off.

Right now he is 95% pain free in his joints

So my wife and I had knuckle pain, and my Dad joint pain. Osteo Bi-Flex really helped. My joints feel fine now and I haven’t taken it in several month.

My mom had knee pain, used Voltaren creme from Mexico (just buy it in the pharmacy there, but it’s prescription in the US). She swears it stopped hurting and is much better now.

I take vitamin D3 everyday for bone & immune health based on my Doctors recommendation. I know a guy that had both knees replaced, and he has constant problems, and is icing them all the time?

The weird part of this, is that it didn't come on gradually, and I didn't do anything to damage the knee. I woke up in the middle of the night with pain in my left knee dead center underneath the knee cap. Going up and down stairs has been torture.
Maybe they are worn out, maybe a form of arthritis? Will have to see what the Doc says?
Are you sure it’s not tendinitis? If you push on it and it stops hurting as much that’s what it is. I have had that on and off my whole life similar to what you are describing but not exactly.

My dad could barely walk, his knees would give out.
I don't know much about it but he got something called ozone shots.
Painful but a couple treatments and he's been relatively troubled free a couple years.
Only a couple doctors in colorado do this from what he told me.

So my wife and I had knuckle pain, and my Dad joint pain. Osteo Bi-Flex really helped. My joints feel fine now and I haven’t taken it in several month.

My mom had knee pain, used Voltaren creme from Mexico (just buy it in the pharmacy there, but it’s prescription in the US). She swears it stopped hurting and is much better now.
My Doctor recommended something similar, over the counter, to get me by fir now. Has to be applied 3-4 times a day.
I'm picking some up tomorrow, to give it a try

My dad could barely walk, his knees would give out.
I don't know much about it but he got something called ozone shots.
Painful but a couple treatments and he's been relatively troubled free a couple years.
Only a couple doctors in colorado do this from what he told me.
Cortizone? I've had that done, it's not pleasant, but it helps

There have been clacking and popping sounds from the knees also

Just have to ship me off to the proverbial glue factory. LOL.

It sucks to get old... Just part of life and the alternative isn't all that appealing. A few yrs ago in New Zealand chasing red stag I tore my knee up. Came back and had it scoped. Made do for a while. Then the other one. Had both knees scoped 2 times. Had the coritzone and the cocks comb injections. Then I passed on a hunting trip because of my knees. So..... I said screw it and just decided something had to be done. I used the recommendation of my physical therapy office and went to their recommended Dr. Went in and arranged to have both knees replaced. Did them both at the same time.
That was 3 yrs ago. I still have soft tissue pain but its lots better than what it was and far more predictable. Last year hunted Vaal Rhebuck and was able to do my part. Can't go jogging and running isn't fun. Certain limitations, but I'm still hunting and doing OK.
My advice is choose your DR carefully. The physical therapists in your area see the results from the Dr's in your area. Talk to a couple of them for who is doing the best job. Do your PT fully and completely.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg