Anybody hunted with 300 gr out of 9.3x74R ?

I was wondering if the penetration is " far" better with the heavier 300 gr than 286 gr, (Swift A frame) or no noticeable difference? On paper it should be but......
Is it in a Ruger No 1?

Out of double
Cool. Just wondering if it might be tricky to get to regulate but may be just a matter of patience and persistence? I wonder what fps you can get with that bullet? Dependent on how it shoots I guess

Hello LP67, The Ruger you in my photo is a 9.3x74R. I tried all bullet weights and found the traditional 286gr., to give the best penetration, accuracy and stopping power. When I used the 300gr. Hornady DGX I gave up too much velocity and could not get them to shoot as accurately. My 2 favorite bullets for big animals 286grain Nosler Partitions and Solids. I used the Partition to anchor the Bison at 170 yards.

I also used the Speer 270grain on numerous Elk and bears with very good results. The Speer 270 is great on Deer too. A much under rated bullet in my opinion. Excellent Accuracy too!

I used a 300gr Aframe out of my Chapuis double on eland and sable. The eland was a solid broadside through the shoulder heart lungs and the scapula on the far side was sitting under the skin on the far side. The bull went 10 yards and down. The sable was quartering away broke the far side shoulder on it way out. The 286 and 300 Aframes regulate within 15 fps of each other on my double. used the 285gr CEB solids as I coulen't get a load to work well with the 300 gr hornaday solids in my rifle. Years ago I got a great deal on 300gr aframes and have standardized on them. the 286 penetrated well on kudu and waterbuck. Saw no real difference on plains game 286 vs 300. For me it was basic logistics.

I used a 300gr Aframe out of my Chapuis double on eland and sable. The eland was a solid broadside through the shoulder heart lungs and the scapula on the far side was sitting under the skin on the far side. The bull went 10 yards and down. The sable was quartering away broke the far side shoulder on it way out. The 286 and 300 Aframes regulate within 15 fps of each other on my double. used the 285gr CEB solids as I coulen't get a load to work well with the 300 gr hornaday solids in my rifle. Years ago I got a great deal on 300gr aframes and have standardized on them. the 286 penetrated well on kudu and waterbuck. Saw no real difference on plains game 286 vs 300. For me it was basic logistics.
Thank you for the useful info ,

T
Hello LP67, The Ruger you in my photo is a 9.3x74R. I tried all bullet weights and found the traditional 286gr., to give the best penetration, accuracy and stopping power. When I used the 300gr. Hornady DGX I gave up too much velocity and could not get them to shoot as accurately. My 2 favorite bullets for big animals 286grain Nosler Partitions and Solids. I used the Partition to anchor the Bison at 170 yards.

I also used the Speer 270grain on numerous Elk and bears with very good results. The Speer 270 is great on Deer too. A much under rated bullet in my opinion. Excellent Accuracy too!
Thank you, I will experiment

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross